or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Whats up with nordica?

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 

I honestly never hear anything bad about Nordica, either here online or locally in summit and eagle county, CO. Although they are not very common in terms of an OWNED ski. its usually just a 'ive skied it b4" ski. again, Alot of people talk positively about the fatter Nordicas.

 

I probably would have bought them if they didnt have that horrible artwork. I heard both the Radict and Patron are amazing skis. Ive been reading online that the 127mm underfoot Radict holds up as well as the Armada JJ and Rossi s7 on groomers. and that the Patron holds up like a all mountain ski with superior float.

 

They really need to drop the Dia de los muertos Gaucho ARTWORK. As soon as they do, i bet they'll see a significant increase in sales, and as a result hire a better artist to make SKIS  THAT DONT CREEP YOU OUT.

 

Any thoughts on  NORDICA PATRON or NORDICA RADICT? Anybody own and deal with/ like the art work, and much more importantly love or hate the ski with reasons?

post #2 of 34

I've owned a couple. IMO, they make some very nice skis that never quite become category leaders. (The Patron or the FA84 may be close to an exception, but face it, no one's beating out the Cochise or Kendo, respectively.) Whether you like or hate the S7, or Kendo, or Bonafide,  or 112RP,or Cochise, they have very distinctive attributes that set them apart. Nordies seem more middle of the road design, lively, stiffish, well made, some may come too close to plain vanilla performance. But yeah, for some reason they seem to always be "underrated," even when they win awards in mags.

 

I've never minded Phil's "clown barf" but the graphics do suggest they may be shooting for the wrong audience. Kids who like all the iconography on the Fire Arrows and Patron don't have the income. But the Helldorado and Unleashed Hell may take care of that, can't say.

post #3 of 34
I will say that as a 40something potential buyer of fatter skis, the nordicas i have viewed online would have to blow away the competition for me to want them ever strapped to my boots... the Ross s7 i like the look..... ditto the armada skis i have seen. While more interesting graphically i could even go for the k2 Seth.

But my reaction to those Nordicas was frankly yuck .... and i know i will never have as much fun if i am self conscious about how they look
post #4 of 34

I personally like to ski on my bases and not the top sheets.  wink.gif

post #5 of 34

My daily driver is a Nordica Steadfast.  The graphics are really boring.  I also ski on 2010 Icelantic Shamans.  The graphics are very arty and kinda cool.  The graphics on either one are almost totally covered in snow by the time I get on the first lift and after that nobody can tell what I'm on.  I don't buy skis for the graphics, I buy them for how they ski.  If the graphics are interesting, that's a plus, but it doesn't actually matter.  Unless of course you just like to stand around showing off the graphics on your skis instead of actually skiing on them.duck.gif

post #6 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcyclist View Post

 If the graphics are interesting, that's a plus, but it doesn't actually matter.  Unless of course you just like to stand around showing off the graphics on your skis instead of actually skiing on them.duck.gif

Fair comment but if you haven't tried any of say 6 or 8 recommendations and you are trying to narrow things to 3 or 4 are you more likly to try ones that you think look good or awful?( assuming strength of recommendation and utility to you are equivalent.)
post #7 of 34

The Patron is a great ski, good enough to make me buy it DESPITE the graphics which, IMHO, are dreadful.  Would be nice to have something like the sunrise design that was on my Praxix Powders...

post #8 of 34

I have not skied the Radict, but I did like the Patron off trail. Outside of their frontside/carver skis, I think my favorite was actually the Soul Rider. I felt like it had excellent grip on the groomers, without tip flap, and it skied like a wider ski in 12". Lots of fun.

post #9 of 34

For what it's worth, Nordica has been making great skis for some years now. They continually get top marks from our ski testers, individual skiers and from the skiing press as well. In fact, when you look at the skiing press reviews each year, Nordica contiually puts skis in top 3-5 in most categories and this year they, and their sister company (Blizzard) took a pretty amazing number of top 5 positions in the various magazine tests. This is at least partially notable b/c neither company does much in the way of advertising with those publications. That is a pretty significant accomplishment for one factory to produce that many top scoring skis.

 

AND..........they can occasionally be found at exceptional prices..................biggrin.gif

 

SJ

post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenayski View Post

Fair comment but if you haven't tried any of say 6 or 8 recommendations and you are trying to narrow things to 3 or 4 are you more likly to try ones that you think look good or awful?( assuming strength of recommendation and utility to you are equivalent.)

 

Where I live, it would be nearly impossible to find 6-8 skis in the same category to demo, buy yes, but not demo.  When I decided I wanted a 90mm waist tip rocker ski there were only three locally that I could demo:  Line Prophet 90, Blizzard Bushwacker and Nordica Steadfast.  So I tried them all.  If there had been others to demo locally I would have tried them.  What counts for me is how they ski.

post #11 of 34

I would personally be drawn to the graphics, just because everyone else finds them repulsive. devil.gif 

 

Interestingly enough, the women's versions have beautiful graphics.  My girfriend picked up a Nemesis on closeout at the end of last year, and graphics was a factor in her decision, as well as feeling more confident on those 98 wide boards than any other skis she demo'd over the year.  I'd ski on those things, gladly.  Basically the women's version of the Enforcer, maybe not quite as stiff, and I think a bit lighter.

 

That said, I agree with Mtcyclist.  By the time I click my skis on and ski/skate/pole to the lift line, there's often snow covering the graphics, almost always at the end of a run. 

 

And you know what?  No one cares.

post #12 of 34

If graphics didn't matter, why not make them all the same color?  Like Henry Ford said "you can have any color you want, as long as it's black."

 

Fact is, graphics do matter.  To the majority, not to all.  I would wager a significant number of people buy more on graphics than anything else.

 

Sometimes even the bottoms matter.  I remember standing in that glacial 20 minute lift line in the '70's watching people load into that slow double chair and looking up in envy at the K2's with the red, white and blue bases.

post #13 of 34

I generally don't care a whit about graphics except that I'm not much drawn to corpses and/or death themes etc such as some past K2 models. Still.........when I got the Unleashed Hells last year, I admit that I chose them over the Patron b/c the 'scary gaucho' graphic didn't click for me. Then again, they ski basically the same and I really like the way they ski so if the Patron were the only choice, I'd have been fine with it.

 

Come to think of it.....I'm not all that keen about the general "hell" theme in Nordica's nomenclature either, but most of those are really good skis......so I get over it.

 

SJ
 

post #14 of 34
Thread Starter 

Ya i dont care about graphics either, aslong as theres no wierd halloween crap. Nordica is not the only brand that did this. 

post #15 of 34

I wouldn't buy a ski just because it had cool graphics, but bad graphics would be enough to dissuade me from buying if they were bad enough.  There are some truly ugly-ass skis currently being made, and my hunch is that in ten years everybody will be wondering "what were they thinking?", sort of like how we currently view certain excesses of 70s and 80s fashions.

 

Those cartoonish thing that look like they were drawn by a 13 year old high on airplane glue?  Yeah, those.

post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post

I wouldn't buy a ski just because it had cool graphics, but bad graphics would be enough to dissuade me from buying if they were bad enough.  There are some truly ugly-ass skis currently being made, and my hunch is that in ten years everybody will be wondering "what were they thinking?", sort of like how we currently view certain excesses of 70s and 80s fashions.

 

 

Decades from now, when they have the 2010's retro days, you'll be glad you have the ugly-ass skis.  

post #17 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDog View Post

If graphics didn't matter, why not make them all the same color?  Like Henry Ford said "you can have any color you want, as long as it's black."

 

 

As it turns out, my second pair of hand-me-down skis was a pair of Head Standards.   Loved those things.

post #18 of 34

As long as the color scheme on my skis and boots match, I'm happy!  biggrin.gif

 

Oh, and no plaids with stripes!

post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiredUsername View Post

 

As it turns out, my second pair of hand-me-down skis was a pair of Head Standards.   Loved those things.

Mine too!  Hand-me-downs from my dad.   I snapped one in half almost immediately off a jump.

 

I won't buy a ski with a clown on it.

post #20 of 34

I didn't think graphics mattered to me, either, a while back.  Then I bought these skis online from a shop (you know who you are - are you laughing yet?).  There was no picture online,  so I called and asked to make sure there were no skulls, no naked ladies, no drug references in the graphics.  I was assured it was a retro-stripe design.  Waited three weeks, and along they come in the mail.  Notice anything interesting?p4-0.jpeg

This image is also on both BASES.  Hey, I'm a woman.  I do feel odd on these skis -- just because.  (Guys, you're laughing now, right??  You got me good, that's for sure.)  

Graphics do matter.  

Disclaimer:  I like how they ski, but I'll never buy from this vendor again.  

Mudflap_girl.svg

post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFeet View Post

I didn't think graphics mattered to me, either, a while back.  Then I bought these skis online from a shop (you know who you are - are you laughing yet?).  There was no picture online,  so I called and asked to make sure there were no skulls, no naked ladies, no drug references in the graphics.  I was assured it was a retro-stripe design.  Waited three weeks, and along they come in the mail.  Notice anything interesting?p4-0.jpeg

This image is also on both BASES.  Hey, I'm a woman.  I do feel odd on these skis -- just because.  (Guys, you're laughing now, right??  You got me good, that's for sure.)  

Graphics do matter.  

Disclaimer:  I like how they ski, but I'll never buy from this vendor again.  

Mudflap_girl.svg

 

 

LOL!!

 

I suppose a couple of pieces of duct tape would take care of the problem.

 

My brother had a pair of Blizzard Wizards back in the day, 1977 or thereabouts. They had a metal topsheet, so after the paint got scratched in a few places, he took some sandpaper and removed all the paint, leaving him with silver skis, no markings whatsover. Didn't look too bad with his Look bindings.

post #22 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiredUsername View Post

 

 

LOL!!

 

I suppose a couple of pieces of duct tape would take care of the problem.

 

My brother had a pair of Blizzard Wizards back in the day, 1977 or thereabouts. They had a metal topsheet, so after the paint got scratched in a few places, he took some sandpaper and removed all the paint, leaving him with silver skis, no markings whatsover. Didn't look too bad with his Look bindings.

Or some of those epic ski stickers there giving out on here

post #23 of 34

kinda hard to put stickers on the base

post #24 of 34

I demo'd the Patrons last spring, loved the way they felt, and then found some for a great deal on Ebay.  I can't wait to ski them this season, but I do find the graphics stupid at best and at worst, offensive: skeletor with a machine gun.  A good friend of mine here in town paints cars professionally (and with an artistic flair.  he painted flames on his downstairs beer fridge and it's awesome).  I'm tempted to pay him to cover up my ski's graphics with something more palatable.  Anybody ever tried this?  does the extra paint add too much weight or screw up the ski somehow?

post #25 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by river-z View Post

I demo'd the Patrons last spring, loved the way they felt, and then found some for a great deal on Ebay.  I can't wait to ski them this season, but I do find the graphics stupid at best and at worst, offensive: skeletor with a machine gun.  A good friend of mine here in town paints cars professionally (and with an artistic flair.  he painted flames on his downstairs beer fridge and it's awesome).  I'm tempted to pay him to cover up my ski's graphics with something more palatable.  Anybody ever tried this?  does the extra paint add too much weight or screw up the ski somehow?

 

I would save the money. I talked to a rep at Nordica and next years models wont have any more skeletons are other bologna. I actually emailed them two years in a row explaining my nordica loyalty and how i was losing it due to the art. This year they told me alot of americans were complaining and that they have hired new artists to give the skis an american touch. 

 

I dont know if we need an "All American" design and i just hope they dont go overboard with USA graphics now. These guys are either thinking way to hard about the graphics or not at all.

 

 

P.S. I need to start checking out ebay for skis. I would refer to myself as a wheeler and dealer online for cheap ski stuff, but i completely neglected, more like forgot about, Ebay.

post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post

For what it's worth, Nordica has been making great skis for some years now. They continually get top marks from our ski testers, individual skiers and from the skiing press as well. In fact, when you look at the skiing press reviews each year, Nordica contiually puts skis in top 3-5 in most categories and this year they, and their sister company (Blizzard) took a pretty amazing number of top 5 positions in the various magazine tests. This is at least partially notable b/c neither company does much in the way of advertising with those publications. That is a pretty significant accomplishment for one factory to produce that many top scoring skis.

 

AND..........they can occasionally be found at exceptional prices..................biggrin.gif

 

SJ

Have some old 12.1 SUV's I liked so figured I check out something newer with exceptional pricing!    yikes, the cosmetic blemishes seems to cover the whole topsheet!  roflmao.gif  Actually, I don't really care either about the topsheet especially if the price is right.  I can always find a compatible paint for "touch up" if really needed but as DesiredUser noted, snow makes a wonderful camo

post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by river-z View Post

I demo'd the Patrons last spring, loved the way they felt, and then found some for a great deal on Ebay.  I can't wait to ski them this season, but I do find the graphics stupid at best and at worst, offensive: skeletor with a machine gun.  A good friend of mine here in town paints cars professionally (and with an artistic flair.  he painted flames on his downstairs beer fridge and it's awesome).  I'm tempted to pay him to cover up my ski's graphics with something more palatable.  Anybody ever tried this?  does the extra paint add too much weight or screw up the ski somehow?

 

Easier way.  Just cover the top sheet with some white vinyl, get a sharpie and label them  "TEST 2/15"  or some random numbers!

post #28 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsSkier View Post

 

Easier way.  Just cover the top sheet with some white vinyl, get a sharpie and label them  "TEST 2/15"  or some random numbers!

Yes I love this. hahah 15 test skis. your gunna pick up mad chicks in the lift line. theyll think your either pro, rich, or both

post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSafe View Post

Yes I love this. hahah 15 test skis. your gunna pick up mad chicks in the lift line. theyll think your either pro, rich, or both

Here's the chick I'm skiing with this year. (she's 5 this winter).  and the ideas for changing the graphics are pretty appealing.  I'm gonna have to do something.

 

post #30 of 34

I skied on the new women's line  - The Belle series and really like what they've done with it.  I Really Really like the LaNina which is their powder ski. 

 

Phil did a nice article/thread here on EpicSki about the new line up with Nordica.

 

Nordica back in black with the Helldorado and FireArrow EDT 84

 

Nordica is being discussed at length in this thread. 

 

The Nordica Armada has landed....

 

 

 

Just saying......biggrin.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion