New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

10K posts

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 

Well, it seems to be tradition to post some kind of reflection when you hit one of these milestone posts. Maybe it's a bit of a dubious honor, I've slowed down my posting to try not to hit it, but I guess it's like getting older - you can't really stop.

 

How did I get here? Well, I discovered EpicSki when I was an office drone in North Carolina. I was reading the Powder boards (ther was no TGR board yet) when another Maggots vs. Epic thing erupted. I was like "what's EpicSki?" and now here I am.

 

Where is here? Well, I'm not saying it wouldn't have eventually happened anyway, but EpicSki helped me to end up in Stowe, VT teaching skiing. (Thanks a lot....) On my first day here, I got to meet Stu Campbell which led to starting the Eastern ESA (ETU at the time) with Oboe. I had no idea how much I sucked when I got here, but I think I do OK now.

 

Oh yeah, skis... my "mid-fat" then was a 75mm waist, and my Powder skis was 85mm I think. No further comment needed.

 

People talk about the forum's good old days - I'm not sure they were really all that different, but if I can give one piece of advice for all users, it's that you can't actually win at internetting. If everyone could keep sight of that, I think things would be better. If anything, I think it's possible that back in the old days, people were more willing to listen to other's viewpoints, and had less of an urge to assert their own.

post #2 of 28
Congrats, epic!

Good advice.

Rolled into Stowe yesterday and was hoping to catch you, but I am not in charge of my own time on this trip ...maybe you'll make it to CO this season smile.gif
post #3 of 28

beercheer.gif

 

Come on out to Tahoe and celebrate!

post #4 of 28
It'll take you a long time to reach the chick's post count, Epic. I'll most likely never reach yours. Let me know if you and CGeib get together in Summit County.
post #5 of 28

Congratulations, what a most awesome milestone...

post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post

People talk about the forum's good old days - I'm not sure they were really all that different, but if I can give one piece of advice for all users, it's that you can't actually win at internetting. If everyone could keep sight of that, I think things would be better. If anything, I think it's possible that back in the old days, people were more willing to listen to other's viewpoints, and had less of an urge to assert their own.

 

Wait a minute here...  you're saying that we CAN'T WIN???  What the heck is the point of this place then???  hissyfit.gif

post #7 of 28

Congrats Epic! Only 6900 something left until I get there. I have a lot of work to do. We really need to roll out the red carpet when Tricia hits 30k soon. 

post #8 of 28

Erik, thanks for the reflection and the 10K post.  Epicski couldn't be epic without you, and I miss the ETU events and Stu. 

 

As for Trekchick, she seems to be heading to 30K in the next couple days.  I remember when she was barely an intermediate skier in the midwest, and now look. icon14.gif

post #9 of 28

Congrats Epic.The next time I make it to Stowe I'll try to get there with more than 1 day left on the season. Who knows, I might make it to Vermont in prime time this year.

post #10 of 28
Thread Starter 

It would be great to ski with you again. If you are here during Steelers, I mean football, season, you're welcome to come by for the game too.

post #11 of 28

Over the past week or so, I got some PM's from Bears reminding me that I was close to 30,000 posts. 

Let me say, I'm embarrassed by the obscene post count, but I've been blessed by this community.

 

Observations of my 30,000 posts include but are not exclusive to:

 

 

For the fun of it, My First Post/Thread

http://www.epicski.com/t/31446/atomic-vs-volkl-im-torn

What was I thinking? nonono2.gif

Just goes to show you, if you let a clueless newbie do their thing, there is potential for growth.  

post #12 of 28

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. roflmao.gif

 

So like 90% of our members, you came for the gear.  I'm not going to get into what you stayed for...

 

post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

Over the past week or so, I got some PM's from Bears reminding me that I was close to 30,000 posts. 
Let me say, I'm embarrassed by the obscene post count, but I've been blessed by this community.

Observations of my 30,000 posts include but are not exclusive to:

For the fun of it, My First Post/Thread

http://www.epicski.com/t/31446/atomic-vs-volkl-im-torn
What was I thinking? nonono2.gif
Just goes to show you, if you let a clueless newbie do their thing, there is potential for growth.  

My favorite part was when you said you only wanted 2 sets of skis!

Cheers! And congrats biggrin.gif
post #14 of 28

Tricia, it's hard to remember what the forums were like without you. Thanks for sharing your warmth and hospitality with us. You put a human touch to this corner of the web and I hope you continue with your obscene post count.

post #15 of 28

30,000 | 30,000 do I see 50 from anyone, 50,000? biggrin.gif

post #16 of 28

Thirty-thousand!  Seriously?  Someone get Trish a job, quick!

post #17 of 28

30K in 7 years, 4300/yr.   Humm.  I'm approaching 20K in 5 years, 4000/year.

 

Thanks for posting the link to your first post/thread.  I see Bob Peters was the first Bear to respond and many of the other folks in that discussion are still pretty active here.  I'd bump it with a smart assed comment, but someone nonono2.giflocked it..

post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post

30K in 7 years, 4300/yr.   Humm.  I'm approaching 20K in 5 years, 4000/year.

 

Thanks for posting the link to your first post/thread.  I see Bob Peters was the first Bear to respond and many of the other folks in that discussion are still pretty active here.  I'd bump it with a smart assed comment, but someone nonono2.giflocked it..

I think SSH locked it back in the day, not sure, and not sure why, but we could unlock it for fun. :)

 

I was looking at Bob Peters and Sierra Jim's reply to me and can't imagine how much they probably wanted to tell me to get something softer and better suited to my size and ability.  But alas, I was treated kindly and I've grown to love skis that are better suited to my size and ability. AND........I have boots that are(get this) 3 sizes smaller than the ones I had when I joined the forum!!eek.gif

post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

I think SSH locked it back in the day, not sure, and not sure why, but we could unlock it for fun. :)

 

I was looking at Bob Peters and Sierra Jim's reply to me and can't imagine how much they probably wanted to tell me to get something softer and better suited to my size and ability.  But alas, I was treated kindly and I've grown to love skis that are better suited to my size and ability. AND........I have boots that are(get this) 3 sizes smaller than the ones I had when I joined the forum!!eek.gif

 

Trekchick, congrats on reaching 30.  smile.gif  I remember watching you ski at some of the early Stowe ESA / ETU events   You've come a long ways!  icon14.gif

 

So, the first time somebody told you that a boot "three sizes too small" is "just right"...  exactly what part of their anatomy were you thinking of ramming a ski pole through?  wink.gif

post #20 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinF View Post

 

Trekchick, congrats on reaching 30.

 

Dude! She's 29. Again....

post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post

30K in 7 years, 4300/yr.   Humm.  I'm approaching 20K in 5 years, 4000/year.

 

Thanks for posting the link to your first post/thread.  I see Bob Peters was the first Bear to respond and many of the other folks in that discussion are still pretty active here.  I'd bump it with a smart assed comment, but someone nonono2.giflocked it..

 

What can be done, can be undone.  Jus sain' an nuf' said.

post #22 of 28

Trish,

 

icon14.gif icon14.gif on hitting the 30k milestone. Is there any woman in internet skiing who equals your posting? Go blondie!

 

I'll always remember your Tahoe wedding, and, there was the Summit Co Gathering where we first met. Phil's a luck guy.

 

Here's to skiing together again this year. Love ya both!

 

I also remember one insane night when both of us were into insomnia and exchanging PM's at 3 am.

post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Proof View Post

Trish,

 

icon14.gif icon14.gif on hitting the 30k milestone. Is there any woman in internet skiing who equals your posting? Go blondie!

 

I'll always remember your Tahoe wedding, and, there was the Summit Co Gathering where we first met. Phil's a luck guy.

 

Here's to skiing together again this year. Love ya both!

 

I also remember one insane night when both of us were into insomnia and exchanging PM's at 3 am.

You're living proof that friendships can be strong across a continent, even at 3 AM

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinF View Post

 

Trekchick, congrats on reaching 30.  smile.gif  I remember watching you ski at some of the early Stowe ESA / ETU events   You've come a long ways!  icon14.gif

 

So, the first time somebody told you that a boot "three sizes too small" is "just right"...  exactly what part of their anatomy were you thinking of ramming a ski pole through?  wink.gif

To the first thing, about my first ESA. eek.gif

I'm sooooo glad that the video was destroyed.  Wasn't it Martin Luther King Jr who said (paraphrasing)  I'm not what I hope to be, I'm not what I can be, but praise God, I'm not what I was!!

 

As for the 3 sizes smaller.....

I first went to a 2 finger fit, (2 sizes smaller) and skied with that for a couple seasons, then I went to a performance fit, so I took baby steps.  But the first drop in 2 sizes was a HUGE eye opener! yahoo.gif

I'll let Cgeib fill you in on what I was going to do to Mosh when he suggested that I go one size smaller yet.  In fact I think Cgeib's face looked like this when he heard it. eek.gif

post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post

30K in 7 years, 4300/yr.   Humm.  I'm approaching 20K in 5 years, 4000/year.

 

Thanks for posting the link to your first post/thread.  I see Bob Peters was the first Bear to respond and many of the other folks in that discussion are still pretty active here.  I'd bump it with a smart assed comment, but someone nonono2.giflocked it..


And, just like that I'm past 20K.  Not sure exactly what did it, but I'd like to believe it happened while boasting about my sweet new (contract) job offer todaybeercheer.gif

 

 

And just in time to salvage ski season.  Gotta admit there wouldn't be much skiing happening under my feet this season if I was only collecting unemployment and had zero medical benefits coverage. 

post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post


And, just like that I'm past 20K.  Not sure exactly what did it, but I'd like to believe it happened while boasting about my sweet new (contract) job offer todaybeercheer.gif

 

 

And just in time to salvage ski season.  Gotta admit there wouldn't be much skiing happening under my feet this season if I was only collecting unemployment and had zero medical benefits coverage. 

Congrats!!yahoo.gif

post #26 of 28

Excellent Charles, congrats. Does this mean we'll see you at Blue Knob this winter?

post #27 of 28

Charles, congrats.  I'm hoping for some similarly good news...on the other hand, if I get it, it will most likely mean skiing at Blue Knob. eek.gif

post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel Hill Crazie View Post

Excellent Charles, congrats. Does this mean we'll see you at Blue Knob this winter?

 

 

Looks very possible.  Mom's job ends January though so we might not have overnighter traveling cash unless she has found something else by then.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider View Post

Charles, congrats.  I'm hoping for some similarly good news...on the other hand, if I get it, it will most likely mean skiing at Blue Knob. eek.gif

 

 

Well, Wintergreen VA is a good midpoint to hook up for a day should you end up in that area.  I'm still toying with the notion of a family trip to 7 Springs someday.  Mom doesn't/can't ski but she likes bowling and video games. Lil sis is sketchy about skiing too so 7 Springs would be a decent place for all of us to hang out for a weekend in the winter.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home