or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Philpug's 2013 Steals & Deals Winners
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Philpug's 2013 Steals & Deals Winners - Page 2

post #31 of 53

that black v-lock thing is lower density than the PU lower. it deforms a little more than the same boot with a rigid spine.  

 

but my point is that there is nothing connecting the upper shell to the lower.  it flexes like a boot with its rivets pulled.  

post #32 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by msolson View Post

that black v-lock thing is lower density than the PU lower. it deforms a little more than the same boot with a rigid spine.  

 

but my point is that there is nothing connecting the upper shell to the lower.  it flexes like a boot with its rivets pulled.  

I wasn't debating what you posted, just adding the video as a point of reference.  As always, appreciate your input. icon14.gif

post #33 of 53

ha, no worries! my original post was a bit vague, so i tried to clear it up.

 

those lange boot cutouts in that video are pretty rad, and do a good job depicting what is going on there, its just the words he is saying are a little miss-leading IMO (and in my opinion only :D ).  

 

i just think that Lange presents that boot as being the exact same as a the RS/RX, the only difference is an additional walk mode, when in reality it flexes differently.  

post #34 of 53

Sturtevants is a great shop. I deal with them at work and everyone I have talked to on the phone seems to know what is going on. I personally start there.

post #35 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

9k=

 

 

Salomon Sth12 Oversized & Sth12 Driver

The Sth12 Oversized is the least expensive way to get into Salomon's laterally rigid "worm heel", all for under 2 bills. You can also step up to the Sth12 Driver with the single pivot toe for only $40.00 more. 

 $199.00/$239.00

 
 

What is the difference between these 2 bindings?  Since I have the LX92's coming I need something to mount on them. Seems to be good deals on both right now.

post #36 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherPlayThanWork View Post

What is the difference between these 2 bindings?  Since I have the LX92's coming I need something to mount on them. Seems to be good deals on both right now.

 

The Sth12 O/S has the Z toe which has the auto adjusting wings, the Sth12 Driver is the single pivot toe design that has micro adjustments for both the wings and toe height. The Sth design is the Salomon design that dates back to their original 727 which came out in 1977, a proven design. 

post #37 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattL View Post

How does the Lange XT fit compare to the RS?

 

Phil...how about between the XT and RX....? 

post #38 of 53

Ooops, answered...my bad for not reading whole thread...

post #39 of 53

Phil, for a East harder snow carver not limited to the groomers and at my height/weight 5'6.5" 140lbs, should i look to demo the 8.0 CA over the 8.0 Ti, assuming i can't try both?

I know it's not one of your favorites but i have a BMX88 for soft snow and trees. Skied it several times, know it's strengths and weaknesses plus was to good a deal to pass up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

Kev, as a complement to your MX88's, I would say the CA, it is slighty softer than the Ti, I really didn't notice much of a difference until I really pushed it to the limits on harder snow, and for that you will be using the MX's. For your size, I think the 181 is a better option. Let me know if you want them, we have them in stock. 

post #40 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

 

The Sth12 O/S has the Z toe which has the auto adjusting wings, the Sth12 Driver is the single pivot toe design that has micro adjustments for both the wings and toe height. The Sth design is the Salomon design that dates back to their original 727 which came out in 1977, a proven design. 

I always read good things about salomon bindings, but it surprised me a little bit that you picked the STH 12 Driver over the Griffon given the good things you always say about the griffon on many forum topics. Did Salomon get into the list by flipping a coin over the Griffon?

post #41 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post

I always read good things about salomon bindings, but it surprised me a little bit that you picked the STH 12 Driver over the Griffon given the good things you always say about the griffon on many forum topics. Did Salomon get into the list by flipping a coin over the Griffon?

I like the lateral rigidity of the Sth along with the single pivot design of the Driver toe over the Griffon. I do like the Griffon demo if you are looking for a binding with an extensive amount of adjustability

post #42 of 53

Is there a prize because I had two of Phil's pics before they were Phil's pics?

 

I tried the Atomic Access with my son 2011 at the WB demo tents (right - don't demo you'll never know what you're missing), and we both fell in love with them immediately. Had one pair at WB and one pair in SLC, but the WB ones have been replaced. I'll probably send the SLC ones to my son who's in Santa Fe for school this year.

 

LX94's are probably going to take the place of my beloved Mythic Riders in SLC this year.

post #43 of 53
In selecting the Blizzard 8.0 CA Magnum as the Frontside Ski of The Year, did you also test and compare it to the Blizzard 8.0 Ti and what made you choose the CA over it? I want to purchase one of these two but don't know which one and won't have the opportunity to demo prior to purchase. Any comparisons between the two would be greatly appreciated.
post #44 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckwild View Post

In selecting the Blizzard 8.0 CA Magnum as the Frontside Ski of The Year, did you also test and compare it to the Blizzard 8.0 Ti and what made you choose the CA over it? I want to purchase one of these two but don't know which one and won't have the opportunity to demo prior to purchase. Any comparisons between the two would be greatly appreciated.

These are value skis, not necessarily "Skis of the Year", they are coming soon, I tried to keep these under $599.00 MAP. I did ski the 8.0Ti version also, the Ti is $100 more and actually skis closer to the 8.5Ti in feel and really fits as "tweeners" in that size run, it is a great ski and skis very well. A lighter more finesse skier will prefer the CA, a stronger skier looking for some extra power on hard snow will want the Ti. 

post #45 of 53

How does the Magnum 8.0 Ti compare with last years 8.1 Magnum? I found the 8.1 to be a little much on smaller Midwestern hill's. Normally I would always opt for a Ti version of anything but based on my experience with the 8.1 I thought the CA would maybe be the better choice for a wider all conditions type ski.

post #46 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckwild View Post

How does the Magnum 8.0 Ti compare with last years 8.1 Magnum? I found the 8.1 to be a little much on smaller Midwestern hill's. Normally I would always opt for a Ti version of anything but based on my experience with the 8.1 I thought the CA would maybe be the better choice for a wider all conditions type ski.

You are on the right track if last year's 8.1 was too much. Even with the bit of early rise, the 8.1 was still a bard snow biased ski, even more so than the 8.0Ti but the Ca is no slouch, hence the award. 

post #47 of 53

bump for new members . . . for more details on the skis mentioned check out the Tags in the right column near the top.

post #48 of 53

The LX 92 Kastle is a great ski.  For me, it is the best packed powder, soft packed bump ski I've ever been on ( a light weight guy).  It's great up to about 3" of fresh, carving anywhere on the mountain but particularly incredible in bumps.  

I'd guess that a heavier guy would push through it too much; and back east, on the ice and hardpan, I'd bet not so much either.  

But for me, it's more than an economy ski, at what it does best: bumps!

(note: I am a carver, bigger turn, bank turn, find my own line guy;  not zipperliner. )

post #49 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski otter View Post
 

The LX 92 Kastle is a great ski.  For me, it is the best packed powder, soft packed bump ski I've ever been on ( a light weight guy).  It's great up to about 3" of fresh, carving anywhere on the mountain but particularly incredible in bumps.  

I'd guess that a heavier guy would push through it too much; and back east, on the ice and hardpan, I'd bet not so much either.  

But for me, it's more than an economy ski, at what it does best: bumps!

(note: I am a carver, bigger turn, bank turn, find my own line guy;  not zipperliner. )

I'm a heavier guy (230 lbs) and the 184 LX 92s serve me well, my go to ski before that was 2011 191cm Volkl Mantra which I liked and found very pliable, just a little too long for bumps; the LX 92 actually required more input than the Mantra and could go just as fast and carve just as well, if not better.  I sold the Mantras. [Purchased on Phlipug's steals & deals report].

post #50 of 53

I've been thinking about getting some used LX 92's but am unsure if I'd be better off with MX 88's.  I'm looking for a ski that would make it fun and interesting to ski the less-interesting terrain in Southern California.  I hear that the sun turns the snow a bit soft by afternoon so it makes sense to get something wider than a normal frontside ski.  I've grown to like skiing bumps so it's appealing to hear the LX 92 is good there, but I doubt there are many bumps in the ski areas here.

 

(Me: 6' 140lbs, advanced skier)

post #51 of 53
FX 84.
post #52 of 53

^^^^ This.

post #53 of 53

I've owned LX92 & MX88 previously, currently have MX78 & FX94.

I am a huge fan of the FX 's versatility.

For what I ski locally and on my yearly ski trips, I could probably even ditch my MX78 from the quiver altogether.

 

Read Dawgcatching's excellent review of the FX94 as he also comments on the FX84

 

http://www.epicski.com/t/119164/2014-kastle-fx94-video-review/1

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Philpug's 2013 Steals & Deals Winners