or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › What ski should I buy?!?!? (looking for a used hard snow ski for a tall teenager)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What ski should I buy?!?!? (looking for a used hard snow ski for a tall teenager)

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

Ok, so it's snowing in Colorado, time to start doing this. I pretty much know what kind of ski I want, but the length thing is getting me. My son will soon be 18, and is 6'4" or 6'5" ... not sure if he finally stopped growing yet or not, but has slowed way down. He weighs 175-180. Current skis are 184 the Ones and 189 Keepers. We would like to get him some inexpensive groomer and possibly future teaching skis. Is something in the mid-170s too short, should we look more around 180? He is in a 29 boot, and proportionally longer in the legs.

post #2 of 15

Hope you had a good summer...I have a pair of 172s for this purpose and they are fine for me, but I have stopped growing...

post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEfree30 View Post

Hope you had a good summer...I have a pair of 172s for this purpose and they are fine for me, but I have stopped growing...

hi there! Summer was too long and too hot, but otherwise....

 

I forgot I had posted this thread ... Good to know that 172s are fine for you. Which ones are that length? Your Dynastars? And I really hope he has stopped growing, too. :-)

post #4 of 15

I ski groomers and teach on a 174.  6'2", 29 boot.  Just hope his foot stops growing, once you get to 30, the boot selection drops off quite a bit.
 

post #5 of 15

just thinking about a 188 mx88, there have been some decent used one's for sale here. I doubt it's a good teaching stick but it would make a great front sider for him.

post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmerz View Post

I ski groomers and teach on a 174.  6'2", 29 boot.  Just hope his foot stops growing, once you get to 30, the boot selection drops off quite a bit.
 

 

Fingers crossed! His boots had a tad bit of room when we bought season before last, I think his feet have grown a tiny bit, just the right amount. If they grow any more, I'll just convince him that it's a race fit.

post #7 of 15

How about a pair of 174 Blizzard Supersonics? We have some left from last year, $349.00 w/ bindings. It was also one of my "Steals & Deals" from last season. 

post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

How about a pair of 174 Blizzard Supersonics? We have some left from last year, $349.00 w/ bindings. It was also one of my "Steals & Deals" from last season. 

 

Phil,

 

The Steal & Deal is for the Ultrasonic. Same ski?

 

Price sure is good.

post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

How about a pair of 174 Blizzard Supersonics? We have some left from last year, $349.00 w/ bindings. It was also one of my "Steals & Deals" from last season. 

 

Funny you should mention that ... I sort of had my eye on ... that. Is it an IQ binding?

post #10 of 15

I'm a little shorter than your son but about the same weight, and I've used the Blizzard G-Force Power FS as my groomer ski, although it's not a hopeless bump ski.  It's actually pretty good in spring glop due to it being unshakeable.  174cm length.  I think it's basically the supersonic's big brother.  Its stability at speed and edge hold is other-worldly...  I couldn't imagine going longer.

post #11 of 15

maybe I'm off here but a 6 and a half foot dude with 29 boot on a 174 who ski's at copper? shouldn't it be at least a 178?

post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post

 

Funny you should mention that ... I sort of had my eye on ... that. Is it an IQ binding?

Sorry, Ultrasonic. 

 

It is like an IQ but it is an integrated system with the carbon fiber bars like the other "Power" skis. Price should actually be $399 shipped, not $349.00 If you want the skis I will honor the $349 till Thursday. 

post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

maybe I'm off here but a 6 and a half foot dude with 29 boot on a 174 who ski's at copper? shouldn't it be at least a 178?

Wellll ... that was why I asked. I was pretty happy on hardpack on those 172s, and obviously I'm a bit smaller than he is. But I'd also probably be happy on 165s, just turnier.  

post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

Sorry, Ultrasonic. 

 

It is like an IQ but it is an integrated system with the carbon fiber bars like the other "Power" skis. Price should actually be $399 shipped, not $349.00 If you want the skis I will honor the $349 till Thursday. 

i call you tomorrow...

post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post

i call you tomorrow...

Call my cell or PM me. I am not at the shop tomorrow. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › What ski should I buy?!?!? (looking for a used hard snow ski for a tall teenager)