The recent fire at Ski Apache destroyed one the very few pre-1980 gondolas left in North America. (http://www.firsttracksonline.com/2012/09/06/ski-apache-to-welcome-winter-with-three-new-lifts/ ) I’m clearly nostalgic and it’s a shame so few are left. Vail, Steamboat, Crested Butte, Big Sky, Loon and many other places had these old gondolas at one point. I could only think of one other pre-1980 gondola still in use: Lutsen, MN. Am I forgetting others? Surely I am?
Related Forum Threads
- Uphill Gnar ("expert" surface lifts...) Last post on 11/4/15 at 6:47pm in General Skiing Discussion
- May-June issue of Skiing History now online Last post on 6/8/16 at 9:28am in General Skiing Discussion
- First Skiing History Day at Whistler Last post on 2/29/16 at 8:15pm in General Skiing Discussion
- January-February issue of Skiing History is in the mail, with memorial to Stein Eriksen,... Last post on 1/21/16 at 11:45am in General Skiing Discussion
- November-December issue of Skiing History is in the mail Last post on 11/30/15 at 3:08pm in General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
Last edited: 9/14/16
- Hot Dog...Return of Bobbie Burns and The SkiLast edited: 2/8/13
- Brief History Of Breckenridge By Lisa MercerLast edited: 4/26/11
- Bring An Old Chairlift Back To LifeLast edited: 4/27/11
- Hannes Schneider Father Of Modern SkiingLast edited: 4/27/11
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Disappearing Classic Gondolaspost #1 of 89/10/12 at 10:25amThread Starterpost #2 of 89/10/12 at 11:10am
Wildcat in New Hampshire still uses their old gondolas during the summer tourist season. It's quite interesting really. During the ski season the lift is a HSQ chairlift but during the summer they take the chairs off & use the old gondolas.
post #3 of 89/11/12 at 5:13pm
Actually Wildcat doesn't use their old gondola cars in the summer but new cars manufactured to with grip mechanisms that are compatible with the HSQ. The old fiberglass "M&M" style gondolas were in tough shape at the end, but a fun way to ride to the summit on a cold day.post #4 of 89/12/12 at 10:41am
The problem with gondolas, especially in places like Wildcat, is that more often than not, on the days you need them most i.e. very windy, they can't run. Just one reason for replacing the with high speed quads.post #5 of 89/12/12 at 12:23pmpost #6 of 89/12/12 at 1:01pmpost #7 of 89/13/12 at 8:10pmpost #8 of 82/18/13 at 2:01pmQuote:
Memorial weekend 2011 they opened Ajax Express back up (and the skiing was awesome). As there was no snow much below the base of Ajax, you had to download on the gondola.
It was a windy day, so the gondola ran at a crawl. It took about 45 minutes to download.
- Disappearing Classic Gondolas
- Hot Dog...Return of Bobbie Burns and The Ski
- › First time buying skis - need suggestions please [mother skiing... 8 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . 13 minutes ago
- › Ski Instructor Demo: Short video of TDK skiing in St Anton 33 minutes ago
- › North American snow watch 2016- snow reports needed! 44 minutes ago
- › Adjusting Head bindings for boot length 52 minutes ago
- › Skiing Japan 53 minutes ago
- › October 2016 Image of the Month Contest 1 hour, 10 minutes ago
- › What do you take when resort skiing? 1 hour, 33 minutes ago
- › How do i go from snow plow to a complete parallel turn? 1 hour, 37 minutes ago
- › New brand. Stellar equipment 2 hours, 58 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer