The recent fire at Ski Apache destroyed one the very few pre-1980 gondolas left in North America. (http://www.firsttracksonline.com/2012/09/06/ski-apache-to-welcome-winter-with-three-new-lifts/ ) I’m clearly nostalgic and it’s a shame so few are left. Vail, Steamboat, Crested Butte, Big Sky, Loon and many other places had these old gondolas at one point. I could only think of one other pre-1980 gondola still in use: Lutsen, MN. Am I forgetting others? Surely I am?
Related Forum Threads
- Uphill Gnar ("expert" surface lifts...) Last post on 11/4/15 at 6:47pm in General Skiing Discussion
- May-June issue of Skiing History now online Last post on 6/8/16 at 9:28am in General Skiing Discussion
- First Skiing History Day at Whistler Last post on 2/29/16 at 8:15pm in General Skiing Discussion
- January-February issue of Skiing History is in the mail, with memorial to Stein Eriksen,... Last post on 1/21/16 at 11:45am in General Skiing Discussion
- November-December issue of Skiing History is in the mail Last post on 11/30/15 at 3:08pm in General Skiing Discussion
A Brief History of Alpine Skiing
Last edited: 2/13/17
- EpicSki Interview with James NiehuesLast edited: 9/14/16
- Hot Dog...Return of Bobbie Burns and The SkiLast edited: 2/8/13
- Brief History Of Breckenridge By Lisa MercerLast edited: 4/26/11
- Bring An Old Chairlift Back To LifeLast edited: 4/27/11
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
This is the most incredibly over-the-top country-club-like resort we've been and we've skied all over USA. It's so cool I took pictures of the bathrooms! Beautifully done. Three gondolas keep...
Disappearing Classic Gondolaspost #1 of 89/10/12 at 10:25amThread Starterpost #2 of 89/10/12 at 11:10am
Wildcat in New Hampshire still uses their old gondolas during the summer tourist season. It's quite interesting really. During the ski season the lift is a HSQ chairlift but during the summer they take the chairs off & use the old gondolas.
post #3 of 89/11/12 at 5:13pm
Actually Wildcat doesn't use their old gondola cars in the summer but new cars manufactured to with grip mechanisms that are compatible with the HSQ. The old fiberglass "M&M" style gondolas were in tough shape at the end, but a fun way to ride to the summit on a cold day.post #4 of 89/12/12 at 10:41am
The problem with gondolas, especially in places like Wildcat, is that more often than not, on the days you need them most i.e. very windy, they can't run. Just one reason for replacing the with high speed quads.post #5 of 89/12/12 at 12:23pmpost #6 of 89/12/12 at 1:01pmpost #7 of 89/13/12 at 8:10pmpost #8 of 82/18/13 at 2:01pmQuote:
Memorial weekend 2011 they opened Ajax Express back up (and the skiing was awesome). As there was no snow much below the base of Ajax, you had to download on the gondola.
It was a windy day, so the gondola ran at a crawl. It took about 45 minutes to download.
- Disappearing Classic Gondolas
- EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › Skis falling apart.... 3 minutes ago
- › Using the ankles to maintain balance and to increase your skills 7 minutes ago
- › DPS Cassiar F95 11 minutes ago
- › Inside leg issue and other concerns. 20 minutes ago
- › Spring Trip to Vermont 23 minutes ago
- › Skis, boots, or me? 30 minutes ago
- › Quadriceps Tendon Rupture, Repair and Rehab 31 minutes ago
- › The Season of Pow - China, Xinjiang Trip Report 41 minutes ago
- › FS or FT: 4FRNT/Tyrolia Adrenalin 16 Bindings (WTB: Attack, STH2,... 45 minutes ago
- › Rossignol SOUL 7's edge damage not warranteed 50 minutes ago
- › Okemo Mountain by TRobertson
- › Big Sky by oldgoat
- › Kneebinding Knee Friendly Binding by barunrm
- › Snowbird by MBrady
- › Snowbasin by MBrady
- › Maverick Mountain by Roadrash
- › Lutsen Mountains by comfortstarr
- › Tremblant by jzmtl
- › Panorama Mountain Village by Pacobillie
- › 1988 Salomon SX91 Equipe by vieuxcrouton
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview