EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Rocker 2 108 Length help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rocker 2 108 Length help

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

Looking at picking up a pair of Rocker2 108's that I can get really cheap. Problem is I'm torn between which lengths to get. I'm 5'4" (163cm) and 110lbs, so I'm small and light, but like to ski aggressively, and moderately fast, but also like more technical steep terrain, and slower speed skiing, like bumps and trees. Because I like a bit of both, somewhat charging style, and slower more technical style skiing, I'm stuck between the 166 and 174. As you know they would have the twin rocker, like it's bigger brother the Rocker2 122, and a more progressive mounting position.

 

So give me your opinions, if I left anything out that could help just let me know..

 

 

Thanks

post #2 of 16
Thread Starter 

..Anyone.

post #3 of 16

Tough to say. What kind of terrain do you ski?  Not just in terms of steep, but in terms of "flavor" - there is a big difference between steep wide open alpine vs steep chutes and steep trees...   Are you likely to stay around 110 or gain weight? etc.

 

My intuition is that the 166 might be the better call. But there's a whole lot of missing data as it were.

post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post

Tough to say. What kind of terrain do you ski?  Not just in terms of steep, but in terms of "flavor" - there is a big difference between steep wide open alpine vs steep chutes and steep trees...   Are you likely to stay around 110 or gain weight? etc.

 

My intuition is that the 166 might be the better call. But there's a whole lot of missing data as it were.

 



Thanks for the reply spindrift. Terrain would consist of some wide open steeper terrain, but more steep tree skiing and some mellow pillow and cliff drops. I'm not likely to grow much or gain much weight. For the steeper, tighter terrain I know the 166 would be optimal, but for more wide open, fasting skiing, and drops I think the 174 would be better. But at the same time it's only 8 cm, and I don't know if that would be a huge increase in performance.

post #5 of 16

the general wisdom on that shape of ski is that it skis about 8cm shorter than its length. I have the S7 and upsize it 8cm, at 135lbs thats a 178. You are going to trade off perceived stability for maneuverability with those skis at any rate.  recommend the 174 if you are going to stay ski strong.

post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post

the general wisdom on that shape of ski is that it skis about 8cm shorter than its length. I have the S7 and upsize it 8cm, at 135lbs thats a 178. You are going to trade off perceived stability for maneuverability with those skis at any rate.  recommend the 174 if you are going to stay ski strong.

 



Thanks for the insight davluri. I'm definitely leaning towards the 174's. Anyone else got any opinions?

post #7 of 16

I wouldn't even consider the 166 in this ski, way too short for a rocker at your size.. the 174 will feel like a 166.
 

post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 

Okay cool. Probably going to get the 74's now. Thanks guys.
 

post #9 of 16

Follow up question:

 

I'm thinking of getting the Rocker 2 108s for my teenaged son. He 5'7", 120 lbs, aggressive skier.

 

Last season at Whistler he skied the 168 S7s for big mountain and 160 S4s for park.  He loved the S7s but they were getting short towards the end of the season.

 

This season we are in Briancon for the winter and he'll probably just have one pair of skis.

 

I'm torn between the 174 and the 182. Or should I just get him a pair of 178 S7s. Older technology but tried and tested. I'm leaning towards the 182s given how short they supposedly ski.

 

The R2s are very well priced here in Europe and it looks like a spectacular ski.

post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by adviljunky View Post

Follow up question:

 

I'm thinking of getting the Rocker 2 108s for my teenaged son. He 5'7", 120 lbs, aggressive skier.

 

Last season at Whistler he skied the 168 S7s for big mountain and 160 S4s for park.  He loved the S7s but they were getting short towards the end of the season.

 

This season we are in Briancon for the winter and he'll probably just have one pair of skis.

 

I'm torn between the 174 and the 182. Or should I just get him a pair of 178 S7s. Older technology but tried and tested. I'm leaning towards the 182s given how short they supposedly ski.

 

The R2s are very well priced here in Europe and it looks like a spectacular ski.

 

I would go 182, especially if he is still growing on a yearly basis (weight wise). +6cm is not enough of a bump if he was outskiing the S7s.

post #11 of 16

I got the Rocker 2s at the start of this season, and after four days have loved every minute I've spent on them. They're the most playful and fun ski I've ever ridden; as soon as you get them into softer snow (even small amounts or chopped up crud) they cruise over everything. On powder they're a dream. 

 

I had the same dilemma over length, as I'm a similar height and weight (5' 4", 120lbs). In the end I opted for the 166 as I'm a confident but not super aggressive skier, and it seems to be working really well for me. I'd be interested to hear how the 174s have turned out if you've had a chance to get out on them.

post #12 of 16

I'm presently leaning towards the 182s. In fact, I'm considering giving him my old 178 RP112s and keeping the R2s for myself. We won't be on snow until December 30 but I will report back.

post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxd View Post

I got the Rocker 2s at the start of this season, and after four days have loved every minute I've spent on them. They're the most playful and fun ski I've ever ridden; as soon as you get them into softer snow (even small amounts or chopped up crud) they cruise over everything. On powder they're a dream.

 

How are they on hard snow and groomers? Are the tails really loose or is there enough there finish turns?

post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikki View Post

 

How are they on hard snow and groomers? Are the tails really loose or is there enough there finish turns?


I played with these quite a bit last February and didn't ever have the snow to ski them on anything but firm and groomed snow.  They were very manageable but did slide a bit on the tail end of the turn.  I found when you really get them up onto edge they will hold just fine but if you get lazy or a little back seated they slide more than carve on hardpack.  However they were awesome in crud, bumps. and chop.

post #15 of 16
Quote:
How are they on hard snow and groomers? Are the tails really loose or is there enough there finish turns?

 

They're actually quite a bit more stable and easier to carve than I expected. Thomjphillu sums it up well - if you stay on top of them they'll hold an edge really well, especially on soft groomers, but as soon as you get sloppy or tired you'll find yourself sliding through the bottom half of the turn. I had them out on pretty icy hardpack at Grouse earlier this week and it took a couple of runs to get the feel for getting them into a good carve, but once I figured out the sweet spot my turns felt surprisingly solid. When I tired near the end of the day (quads still not back in full skiing shape yet) I started sliding out of the turns instead of getting a clean carve. The other thing I'd note is that the first day I was out, it took me a bit of time to adjust to the forward mounting position - it felt quite different than previous skis.

 

However the R2s are proving a real game changer for me in powder, soft snow, crud and deep chop, and this is where I've spent most of my time on them. They just cruise over things that I know would have pitched me around on my previous skis, and powder turns have gained a whole new dimension. I'm hoping to take them on their first full backcountry outing next week (avvy ratings permitting).

post #16 of 16

^^ Thanks guys.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Rocker 2 108 Length help