EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Ski Jumbo Glacier Resort Summer 2014
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ski Jumbo Glacier Resort Summer 2014 - Page 3

post #61 of 71

And that's my point. The Park is a place for recreation, so it makes sense that the access is there. All those Chinese tour buses stop on the parking lot to take pictures, I'm sure they would love a ticket to ride the gondola up and down. would be nice to have an alpine start to a day of touring, instead of a long walk through the trees. 

 

With anything there will be opposition, but it seems like a pretty fair trade; improved access in a park and protection of true wilderness away from the transcanada.  win all around. Times change - the park was created 130 years ago!  Like they had the foresight then to do what's best for the local economy, world tourism, or even environment. I'm sure their vision didn't include transport trucks crashing into each other all day long either.  

post #62 of 71

That makes total sense to me. A single gondola would add a lot - maybe they could even reopen the caves as an attraction. However getting any new development past opposition to it would be a tough sell. There is strong pressure to reduce the existing development. Parks Canada is a lot more interested in the conservation of their areas for wildlife than introducing more human activity.

 

For all ski developments there is no government money handed out. So you would have to let a private company to set up and run a commercial for profit operation within a National Park.

Who would you trust to run it McDonalds, CP rail or maybe the Galardis ?  

post #63 of 71
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by noncrazycanuck View Post
 

That makes total sense to me. A single gondola would add a lot - maybe they could even reopen the caves as an attraction. However getting any new development past opposition to it would be a tough sell. There is strong pressure to reduce the existing development. Parks Canada is a lot more interested in the conservation of their areas for wildlife than introducing more human activity.

 

For all ski developments there is no government money handed out. So you would have to let a private company to set up and run a commercial for profit operation within a National Park.

Who would you trust to run it McDonalds, CP rail or maybe the Galardis ?  

 

A gondola in Rogers Pass makes no sense to me. If it is a lift for back country skiers to gain easier access, then doesn't that mean selling single rides to skiers who only want to ride the lift once per day? Try making money from that.

 

Cutting runs for skiers who want to just ride the lift all day? Try getting the National Parks guys on board with that. It might also mean more avy work before lift and runs can open on a frequent basis.

 

The highway through Rogers Pass averages 60 closure days /year. Some of it admittedly due to traffic accidents. I just heard on a local Kamloops radio station (while typing this post) that the TCH through Rogers Pass is currently closed in both directions do to a MVA. No word on when the highway reopens but you can bet that if a fatality is involved the closure with be 8-12 hours.

 

The two closest ski resorts to Rodgers Pass, RMR and KH, offer some lift serviced access to the back country and BTW they both do not make a profit.

post #64 of 71

don't think you could possibly run a gondola for skiing there and make any money either. It might be profitable in summer and likely there would still be some snow on the ground.

 

A similar set up just opened beside the Chief outside Squamish. It's run by the local band on Indian land so approval wasn't required despite opposition to it.  No idea if it's been close to profitable. Has given easier access to a few other peaks that used to be pretty remote. But it shuts down in winter for lack of customers despite being right on the highway between Vancouver and Whistler.   

post #65 of 71

The point isn't to make money. It's about improving access to the park, saving the environment, and bringing people in to spend money locally - in revy and golden. The government can handle running a gondola at a loss if it came to it. (Of course, if they think jumbo will be profitable then it for sure would at rogers. )

 

No runs would need to be cut, no grooming would need to be done. Maybe thin the trees in the hermit area. Minimal extra avy control, be responsible for yourself. This is backcountry access. If you want a resort go to RMR/KH.

 

Yeah the road is closed today, I figure that's the 7th time I've heard of MVA closure since the snow started, which was nov 15th ish? Ridiculous! Which is why a hub and Revelstoke and golden, and public rail access to the park makes even more sense.  Stay in the towns, eat in the towns, spend money in the towns. Or let a private company build hotels and restaurants in BFE. and take any profits back to europe. 

post #66 of 71

Taking rail to get to the summitt of the pass would be nice but the staircase up to the surface from the tunnel that was installed to eliminate  the avy danger for the railroad would suck . One of these days when the highway is finally twined at the pass  expect a lot of it to also go underground . i like your idea of increasing access adjacent the transportation corridors if more restricted access occurs further out. But neither the Federal or Provincial governments is likely going to start getting involved in lift development. Contrary to popular belief if approval for development is given then it's always the developers money that is at risk. The governments might asssit with improving road or infastructure only if it'sproven to be  good for the local economy.    

post #67 of 71

post #68 of 71

http://www.powder.com/jumbo-wild/

 

powder.com has a 7min patagonia advertisement.  I've always liked sweetgrass, so i'm looking forward to the film.  

 

 

My opinion still stands. It would be great to have a real chairlift in the interior, but build it where there is access and infrastructure already. 

post #69 of 71

It's too bad more thought wasn't put into things before the last 10 or so ski resorts were built. If we had a time machine and know what we know now I think one or two super bad ass places would be better than having the numbers that are there now. Especially ones that don't get a lot of snow or aren't financially viable. 

 

At this point I just see to many ski areas/resorts that aren't really making it or are just barely getting by. I hate to think that we are ok with destroying more ecosystems and animal habitats for our own selfish desires. It just doesn't make sense to me. Especially with the climate changing. 

 

It would have been an amazing place for a ski area but I just don't think we need any more. 

post #70 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
 

It's too bad more thought wasn't put into things before the last 10 or so ski resorts were built. If we had a time machine and know what we know now I think one or two super bad ass places would be better than having the numbers that are there now. Especially ones that don't get a lot of snow or aren't financially viable. 

 

At this point I just see to many ski areas/resorts that aren't really making it or are just barely getting by. I hate to think that we are ok with destroying more ecosystems and animal habitats for our own selfish desires. It just doesn't make sense to me. Especially with the climate changing. 

 

It would have been an amazing place for a ski area but I just don't think we need any more. 


The Jumbo ecosystem has already been compromised. Jumbo is a completely logged out valley with a limited variety of planted second growth trees. If the resort fails the loggers will be back when the timber is ready.

post #71 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by x10003q View Post
 


The Jumbo ecosystem has already been compromised. Jumbo is a completely logged out valley with a limited variety of planted second growth trees. If the resort fails the loggers will be back when the timber is ready.


Not to mention the millions of acres of trees that have been logged out because of pine beetle. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Ski Jumbo Glacier Resort Summer 2014