EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Is the Ski Wall overwhelming?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is the Ski Wall overwhelming? - Page 4

post #91 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lee View Post

 

Wouldn't it just be easier to make everyone's foot the same?  

They would still make boots that wouldn`t fit right!

post #92 of 101

I prefer a giant wall of skis, as I want to ogle a variety in person before making a decision. However, many shops haven't had the skis I was looking for, some mostly selling beginner/recreational skis, which has forced me to make those purchases online before. On the flip side, I completely understand a shop not having every ski imaginable, as that is a massive amount of inventory to buy, keep, and then often times have to sell for a steep discount at the end of the season.

 

That being said, I guess what I've come to appreciate is when a given shop has every variety of skis from a select few manufacturers. Case in point. Local shop I frequented last year carried Icelantic. They had such a good variety and those skis just sung "buy me" that I ended up getting TWO pairs from them.

 

I love the hudge Wall O' Skis.

post #93 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lee View Post

 

Wouldn't it just be easier to make everyone's foot the same?  

 

yes. and i believe that the chinese are leading the world in foot shape development.

 

jim

post #94 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by starthaus View Post

yes. and i believe that the chinese are leading the world in foot shape development.

jim
Well, they certainly were with that cutting-edge volume-reduction technology that we quaintly refer to as "binding" but if you ask me, these days the Austrians are making a play for world foot-shaping domination with their Dynafit line of AT boots. Narrow toes? "You vant our boots? You vill fit our boots!"
post #95 of 101
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by starthaus View Post

 

yes. and i believe that the chinese are leading the world in foot shape development.

 

jim

   很 有 趣 的

 

If you're curious, you can look it up, here

http://www.nciku.com/search/zh/detail/很有趣的/145994

post #96 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lee View Post

 

Wouldn't it just be easier to make everyone's foot the same?  

 

Therein lies the challenge.  

post #97 of 101

TC, 知道好普通.  I'm still scratching my head about how hen you qu de somehow translates to "priceless".  All I get is: very have interest real, which I assume means: there is very real interest, or: it's very interesting.  Not quite as snarky as English, I think.  I'll have to ask my 9-year old in the morning.  She actually speaks Mandarin.

 

Of course, binding the feet leads to smaller feet, and we all know the future is all about wider boots and bindings, right?

post #98 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post

I'll have to disagree strongly with couple of things you say here.

 

Hey Beyond. Appreciate your comments. I definitely sent some conflicting messages about what I want out of a local ski shop. That's partly because I want different things at different times in the research / buy process. I didn't do a good job of sorting those out in my head, even, let alone in my post. Apologies. Let me try to clean up some of the mess.

First and most importantly, the shops I mentioned by name in my post - Ski Depot and Happy Tunes - are ones I like very much. They do everything more or less right in my view, which is why I named them. The negative staff behaviors I describe are not something I've ever seen at these dealers. Unfortunately neither of these shops is truly local to me, so I can't just pop in for a quick tune or boot fit tweak or whatever.

Second, "that guy" you mention, who comes into the shop and struts around dropping names, recounting exploits of inflated difficulty, and generally convincing everyone that he's a pretentious windbag ... I know exactly who you're talking about, and I absolutely positively do not want to be that guy, ever. I want to be a listener, not a spewer. The other side of this coin is that staff must not just ASSUME that anyone who's not a well-known regular or good buddy or over 40 is automatically clueless, which is an attitude I sometimes see. When I'm in the "research" phase - which is almost always ;) - I'm genuinely very curious in what the shop staff have to say.  I want to learn from their 1st- or even 2nd-hand experiences with the gear they sell or don't sell. After all, these people supposedly live ski gear every day, whereas I'm only an occasional amateur visitor to that world. If I weren't curious about what others had to say, I'd hardly be hanging out here on Epic in August reading all about "the ski wall." Very often, however, to my unending surprise, I find staff at many shops completely unable to deliver any information I couldn't have found out in 5 minutes by reading the glossy brochures or going to the ski brand's website. When this happens, it's precisely BECAUSE I came in without my own agenda, wanting in good faith to hear what the shop has to say, that I get grumpy, because that reasonable expectation has been frustrated again.

On certain occasions - almost always for tunes, at this point, for example - I am definitely in "tell them exactly what I want and plunk down the plastic" mode. The glory of having a relationship with a good shop is that they will take you at your word and deliver what you asked for. I know what these occasions are and act accordingly.

The scenario I painted in the beginning of my post, about wanting to look at a pair of skis without interference from know-nothings, was really aimed at a specific situation where I happen to be at some kind of a discount place - like a tent sale, ski swap, or liquidator-type operation - where I have no expectations of real service and am there strictly on a bargain-hunting basis. I should have made that clearer. In those cases I don't generally initiate any kind of a conversation unless it's about price or warranty or something.

 

 

post #99 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcanoe View Post
Very often, however, to my unending surprise, I find staff at many shops completely unable to deliver any information I couldn't have found out in 5 minutes by reading the glossy brochures or going to the ski brand's website.Very often, however, to my unending surprise, I find staff at many shops completely unable to deliver any information I couldn't have found out in 5 minutes by reading the glossy brochures or going to the ski brand's website.

 

I've more than once gone into a ski shop and looked up a model of ski with my iPhone, because the salesperson was either clueless, or two busy talking with the bro-brahs to come over and answer any questions, or both.

post #100 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiredUsername View Post

 

I've more than once gone into a ski shop and looked up a model of ski with my iPhone, because the salesperson was either clueless, or two busy talking with the bro-brahs to come over and answer any questions, or both.

 

Name a retail that doesn't have that.  There are folks that know the product (any product not just skis) in and out.  There are also folks have been faking it and yet others that I figure have compromising photos of the hiring manager.  Some understand customer service and some think the customers are to service them.  Welcome to America.  Land of the free to hire whoever the heck I want.

 

I was pleasantly surprised when I popped in a ski shop today.  I was just going in because it was a ski shop, was open as I was driving by and I wanted to see whats new this year.  Just looking (i.e. no intentions of buying anything).  Told them that too.  Since I don't go to this particular shop often, they don't know me and one of the associates offered to me how the ski wall was laid out; race there, all mountain, juniors, and on.  Asked where I ski, told him I worked at Crotched, and he stated that and this shop is going to be at the Open house at Crotched in October.  We talked about the new hi speed quad going in, the fact that he hiked to the real summit at CM a couple years back to get to the back country and he couldn't believe what a hidden gem it was.  Now they'll be a hi speed quad taking you there.  We talked about the amphibio design (my new skis that I'm going to have serviced there) and he was very fluent in that.  Even ends up one of the race crew guys at Crotched works at the ski shop tuning skis.

 

Granted, it was early season and early in the day.  There were at least 5 employees and just me in the store.  For the most part they were still putting out inventory and I was probably a wanted distraction from that, but it felt good.  We probably didn't talk more than 10 or 15 minutes but he was well versed and not just on certain things.  Seemed to be knowledgeable about the entire industry at least with regards to New England skiing.  Like he was paying attention to how all the pieces fit together.

 

I'll be doing more business there this year.  Nice ski wall too.

 

Ken

post #101 of 101

I confess: I like ski walls.  I also like the "shoe wall" at my local running store, and the "racket wall" at my local tennis store.  And I love to browse in bike stores, with rows and rows of bikes.  Do any of them (the walls/rows) help me make an informed decision?  No, not solely.  But they get me into the stores, where I can have a (sometimes) helpful conversation with a knowledgeable sales person.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Is the Ski Wall overwhelming?