Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- April 2016 Image of the Month Contest Last post on 4/30/16 at 9:07pm in General Skiing Discussion
- December 2015 Image of the Month Last post on 12/25/15 at 4:24pm in General Skiing Discussion
- October 2016 Image of the Month Contest Last post on 10/23/16 at 4:22am in General Skiing Discussion
- 1 week ski holiday in western Canada/US suggestions (not Whistler) ? Last post on 10/14/16 at 12:09pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Inbounds Photos Last post on 9/13/16 at 9:25pm in Snowsports Video, Photography, Software and Graphics
Whitefish Mountain Resort Unofficial Guide
Last edited: 11/3/15
- Crudology By Bob BarnesLast edited: 4/25/12
- How To Make Photomontages By Bob BarnesLast edited: 12/15/12
- Pow Te ChingLast edited: 4/19/11
- Epicski Image Album TutorialLast edited: 4/28/11
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Picture of the day... - Page 60post #1771 of 22154/13/15 at 8:33pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1772 of 22154/17/15 at 6:41pmpost #1773 of 22154/19/15 at 10:09ampost #1774 of 22154/19/15 at 11:46ampost #1775 of 22154/21/15 at 12:36pm
Below are a few shots taken from a small plane flying over the Selkirk Mountains in southern British Columbia, Canada on April 18, 2015.
They aren't particularly sharp - mostly, I think, because I'm shooting through a 50-year-old windscreen that's neither perfectly clean nor perfectly flat. Sharp enough for Web display, maybe.
These are all around Nelson, BC.
The last one is Kokanee Glacier, covered by recent snow. As anybody who is paying attention to what has been going on in the Pacific Northwest knows, this has been a very poor snow year.
There was a group of skiers at the airport preparing to fly in by helicopter to the backcountry lodge at the glacier. This is not heli-skiing, though. They tour from the lodge for a week after they're flown in, and then they're flown out again.
Below is Baldface Lodge, complete with snowmobilers. Baldface caters to cat skiers earlier in the season.
The snow is pretty thin, by our usual standards, but there has been (and still is) some good skiing to be found up there.
Edited by jhcooley - 4/21/15 at 12:52pmpost #1776 of 22154/21/15 at 2:45pm
No snow around here. Yesterday I was at my cabin near Stevens Pass (it was 72* F in the afternoon) and I took a drive up Maloney Ridge. For those in the region, you can get there by taking the Foss River Road (1.9 miles east of Skykomish) and follow it up the valley until it crosses the Foss River for the second time and heads up the ridge. As you come around the end of the ridge you can choose to go left or right. Go right, follow along for a way farther (a mile?) and take the only road to the right that comes along. Follow it for about 1/4 mile and you come to a big cell tower and communications array. Park and walk out to the end of the ridge (maybe 50 yards) and you will see this:
That's Skykomish below and off in the distance on the left is Mt. Index.
On the way back down you can see this mountain, it is Mt. Daniel with the Hinman Glacier.
It's a beautiful drive and I recommend it. However to reach the lookout at nearly 4000' without encountering any snow on April 20 was a bit of a bummer.post #1777 of 22154/21/15 at 8:06pmpost #1778 of 22154/22/15 at 2:58pmpost #1779 of 22154/22/15 at 3:05pmpost #1780 of 22154/22/15 at 3:11pmpost #1781 of 22154/22/15 at 3:13pmpost #1782 of 22154/22/15 at 3:16pmQuote:
It does look like a great place to bike.post #1783 of 22154/25/15 at 9:40ampost #1784 of 22154/25/15 at 4:21pmpost #1785 of 22154/26/15 at 7:27pmpost #1786 of 22154/27/15 at 8:36ampost #1787 of 22154/27/15 at 8:59am
I really like Yesterday!post #1788 of 22154/27/15 at 9:13am
Well, you know, it's Canada. We have to live on cedar branches and caribou jerky.
We're tough, too. Notice the bare feet.post #1789 of 22154/27/15 at 9:36am
Driving home last night, I had multiple elk sightings, but couldn't take any photos until I was almost to Loveland (city not ski area). I saw these guys all on the side of the road and decided to stop so they would make the move before any other traffic came by.post #1790 of 22154/27/15 at 10:27am
Spent yesterday in the land of some REALLY BIG trees. Redwood State Park near Crescent City CA. Not the largest tree by any stretch but the truck gives some prospective.
Apparently big slugs live near big trees. This one covered that truck.post #1791 of 22154/27/15 at 8:56pmpost #1792 of 22154/28/15 at 7:36ampost #1793 of 22154/28/15 at 6:50pmpost #1794 of 22155/2/15 at 6:12pmpost #1795 of 22155/2/15 at 6:17pmpost #1796 of 22155/3/15 at 10:05am
Was in Paris for a couple of weeks recently and snapped this on my last full day. I kinda liked the overcast sky behind it.
(Unusually, there's not all that much traffic on Place Charles de Gaulle!)
Edited by Skierish - 5/4/15 at 11:53pmpost #1797 of 22155/3/15 at 10:38ampost #1798 of 22155/3/15 at 1:49pmpost #1799 of 22155/5/15 at 9:10ampost #1800 of 22155/5/15 at 10:09amQuote:dbostedo (from comment)
"Great one! Mind if I ask what you shot it with?"
Thanks, dbostedo. Believe it or not, it was shot with my phone--a Motorola Droid Turbo. It has the best camera of any phone I've seen, although it has a shutter lag that prevents its use for action shots. On the other hand, it also shoots 4K video....
The Droid Turbo shoots with very high resolution, allowing the photo above to be cropped from a considerably larger image, with still good sharpness.
BobReturn HomeBack to Forum: Snowsports Video, Photography, Software and Graphics
- Picture of the day...
- Crudology By Bob Barnes
- › Salomon X Max 130 vs Fischer Full Fit 140 3 minutes ago
- › Blizzard Bonafide vs Nordica Enforcer 6 minutes ago
- › PA/DE/So. NJ 2016/2017 15 minutes ago
- › 2016-2017 Four Corners (S.CO/AZ/NM) Weather Discussion 22 minutes ago
- › Zipfit choice 24 minutes ago
- › Basic entry level poles? 56 minutes ago
- › 2016 / 17 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke 1 hour, 11 minutes ago
- › What Should our FEET FEEL? 1 hour, 11 minutes ago
- › Brand New Skis - Do they need wax? 1 hour, 14 minutes ago
- › "The only people who want to carve any more..." 1 hour, 26 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer