or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Après-Ski › Trekchick and Philpug: This Shotz Ski is for you
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Trekchick and Philpug: This Shotz Ski is for you

post #1 of 37
Thread Starter 

I thought you might enjoy seeing the inner workings of the Evil Elf's Shotzski workshop.  Here's a little video showing the Evil Elf himself, putting together a Shotzski and doing a little 'quality control' check ride.

 

post #2 of 37

We have video of our Shotz Ski in action too, but Philpug laughed in the middle of it.  Me, being the shot ski rookie held it in.......not easy but I did. 

post #3 of 37

Haha love it. 

post #4 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

We have video of our Shotz Ski in action too, but Philpug laughed in the middle of it.  Me, being the shot ski rookie held it in.......not easy but I did. 

Post it up!

post #5 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post

Post it up!

A friend took the video and posted it on Facebook.  Not sure if it will work to link it here, but I can try. 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150829834338785&set=vb.612163784&type=2&theater

post #6 of 37

I have an even better view. Now that Phil isn't dead, I will maybe post it...

 

Here you go. A warning against aspirating bacon bourbon.

 

post #7 of 37

Here's SkiNurse's video angle 

post #8 of 37
Thread Starter 

Ha! That's awesome!!  Don't know if you have seen the new Powder yet but there's a story on the Evil Elf this month.  Just got it today!

post #9 of 37

I need to pick up a Powder Mag. 

 

I saw this posted on Facebook. 

1000

post #10 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

I need to pick up a Powder Mag. 

 

I saw this posted on Facebook. 

1000

 

 

By all means, pick it up!  The article was written by John Stifter, Powder's editor.  He made a heli-trip to Selkirk Tangiers with us, which is what he's referencing in the article. He's a Spokane kid who's moved on to the big time.  I'm half hoping we can talk him into making it to the gathering and doing some sort of story on it, either online or in the magazine.  We'll see.  Anyway, selling magazines is their business so buying due partly to the article would be a good thing!

post #11 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post

 

 

By all means, pick it up!  The article was written by John Stifter, Powder's editor.  He made a heli-trip to Selkirk Tangiers with us, which is what he's referencing in the article. He's a Spokane kid who's moved on to the big time.  I'm half hoping we can talk him into making it to the gathering and doing some sort of story on it, either online or in the magazine.  We'll see.  Anyway, selling magazines is their business so buying due partly to the article would be a good thing!

That would be fun.  

post #12 of 37
Thread Starter 

^^  Yeah, but no promises.  He's a little more backcountry/mechanized (heli/cat) inclined but, we'll check it out.  It would be cool to get him to come and maybe do a story.  Who knows if you don't ask, right?

post #13 of 37
Thread Starter 

My buddy, Evil Elf, the purveyor of the now infamous Shotz Ski got some cool recognition last week at SIA. Although Outside Magazine normally reserves its Gear of the Show awards for on-slope, innovative equipment, they made an exception this year for Mr. Elf. Here is the article proclaiming his award:

 

gear-of-the-show-shot-ski2_fe.jpg

 

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-gear/gear-of-the-show/Shotzski-DIY-kit.html

 

Edit to add: EE also picked up a Show Stopper award from Ski/Skiing Skinet.com. Check it out!

 

img_5652.jpg

 

http://www.skinet.com/ski/galleries/skis-show-stopper-gear-sia-2014?i=55591121&s=26


Edited by GoldMember - 2/10/14 at 10:18am
post #14 of 37

I like the alpine version.  We have the tele version here in JH.

post #15 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonpwdrjunkie View Post
 

I like the alpine version.  We have the tele version here in JH.

 

I think the alpine version is more user-friendly, particularly if the users have used it more than one time over the course of the evening.  However, from a nostalgic point of view and just because I think it's a cooler binding arrangement when it's made from old boot buckles, the bear trap is still my favorite. They are much more difficult to make for the Evil Elf, though, so they're more costly and tend to have spillage if not operated properly. Who would think you could screw up taking a shot? But, it happens...

post #16 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
 

 

I think the alpine version is more user-friendly, particularly if the users have used it more than one time over the course of the evening.  However, from a nostalgic point of view and just because I think it's a cooler binding arrangement when it's made from old boot buckles, the bear trap is still my favorite. They are much more difficult to make for the Evil Elf, though, so they're more costly and tend to have spillage if not operated properly. Who would think you could screw up taking a shot? But, it happens...

 

Such a thing has never happened in the patrol room at The King!  

 

The nord buckle bindings are very cool.

post #17 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonpwdrjunkie View Post
 

 

Such a thing has never happened in the patrol room at The King!  

 

 

I would hope not. Afterall, I do believe that 'trollers are highly trained professionals, not only in their jobs but as shot ski operators. Many hours of training and CEU's necessary. Same is true for the patrol training....

post #18 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
 

 

I would hope not. After all, I do believe that 'trollers are highly trained professionals, not only in their jobs but as shot ski operators. Many hours of training and CEU's necessary. Same is true for the patrol training....

 

Not to mention that spilling a shot would be alcohol abuse!

post #19 of 37
We did a short interview with the Evil Elf during SIA, thought I'd share it. 
 
 
I will not admit nor deny that we sampled several Shotz Ski's during our week long adventure of shenanigans  
 
I have to thank @SkiNurse and @segbrown for giving us our first Shotz Ski for our wedding present two years ago.  I doubt either of you knew we'd become close friends with the evil elf himself and partake of such shenanigans. 
post #20 of 37

Been making shot-skis for a couple decades from retired skis with epoxied-on shot glasses - shot glasses with ski area logos bought as souvenirs from ski areas we've visited.

post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISfromRI View Post
 

Been making shot-skis for a couple decades from retired skis with epoxied-on shot glasses - shot glasses with ski area logos bought as souvenirs from ski areas we've visited.

Ah, but @CHRISfromRI , did you watch the video?  These are no ordinary shot skis as discussed in this thread Making the perfect Shot Ski

These are SHOTZ Skis, with a binding/boot shot glass combination 

 

post #22 of 37

We use the tele version at The Snow King Ski Patrol.

 

AppleMark

AppleMark

post #23 of 37

We had a great conversation with the Evil Elf about the tele version.  Looks cool.  Is it easy to use?  

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by tetonpwdrjunkie View Post
 

We use the tele version at The Snow King Ski Patrol.

 

AppleMark

AppleMark

post #24 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
We had a great conversation with the Evil Elf about the tele version.  Looks cool.  Is it easy to use?  

 

That was the first generation and is still my favorite. The problem was that the boots at the time were glass and the binding would occasionally pre-release when imbibing was attempted by an amateur. Of course, those of us who are highly trained professionals would look upon said failure of operation with a rather jaundiced roll of the eyes and chastise the user/abuser for wasting precious Jagermeister and breaking a boot. The Evil Elf determined that for broad use and for the spreading of the word, a more workable solution needed to be determined; one that was, do I dare say, more 'idiot proof' and with less abuse to the contents. The other benefit of the newer generations is that the boots/bindings can then be sold separately as a kit for mounting at home on one's favorite ski. The tele binding requires much greater precision and simply can't be left in the hands of untrained binding mounters. With that said, true professionals and aficionados prefer the much higher level of sophistication associated with the telemark version.    

post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
 

 

That was the first generation and is still my favorite. The problem was that the boots at the time were glass and the binding would occasionally pre-release when imbibing was attempted by an amateur. Of course, those of us who are highly trained professionals would look upon said failure of operation with a rather jaundiced roll of the eyes and chastise the user/abuser for wasting precious Jagermeister and breaking a boot. The Evil Elf determined that for broad use and for the spreading of the word, a more workable solution needed to be determined; one that was, do I dare say, more 'idiot proof' and with less abuse to the contents. The other benefit of the newer generations is that the boots/bindings can then be sold separately as a kit for mounting at home on one's favorite ski. The tele binding requires much greater precision and simply can't be left in the hands of untrained binding mounters. With that said, true professionals and aficionados prefer the much higher level of sophistication associated with the telemark version.    

 

The professionals at The King have never had a problem and no alcohol has ever been abused in our patrol room.

 

Half the binding twice the man!

post #26 of 37
Thread Starter 

As I previously noted, highly trained professionals, for sure!

post #27 of 37

@tetonpwdrjunkie We'll be sure to bring a couple ShotzSkis to the JH Gathering this year.  Can we assume that there will be an opportunity to do a side by side test of these two versions? 

post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
 

Ah, but @CHRISfromRI , did you watch the video?  These are no ordinary shot skis as discussed in this thread Making the perfect Shot Ski

These are SHOTZ Skis, with a binding/boot shot glass combination 

 

Yep, but actually the perfect shotz-ski is not at all about the particular shot glass or even how it's affixed to the ski, but the perfect shotz-ski is instead about how many of ones friends are lined up shoulder to shoulder to enjoy having the shot together at the end of a great ski-day. That's what makes it perfect!

post #29 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISfromRI View Post
 

Yep, but actually the perfect shotz-ski is not at all about the particular shot glass or even how it's affixed to the ski, but the perfect shotz-ski is instead about how many of ones friends are lined up shoulder to shoulder to enjoy having the shot together at the end of a great ski-day. That's what makes it perfect!

 

Yes indeed. In fact, here's a great example of a six-passenger sled that is getting full use.

 

post #30 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
 

@tetonpwdrjunkie We'll be sure to bring a couple ShotzSkis to the JH Gathering this year.  Can we assume that there will be an opportunity to do a side by side test of these two versions? 

 

So, Trekchick....Since you're road-tripping to JH this year, have you considered the new Roadie? Lots easier to pack with you.

 

http://www.powder.com/gear/gear-locker/roadie-shot-ski-junk-trunk/

 

A shot ski built to go. PHOTO: Shotzski

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Après-Ski
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Après-Ski › Trekchick and Philpug: This Shotz Ski is for you