EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Is Kjus kidding with this stuff?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is Kjus kidding with this stuff?

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

Lots of 2013 samples up on Ebay and it looks like they are trying to give Powderhorn a run for their retro-cheese money... yikes!!!  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=kjus+52&_sacat=0

post #2 of 20

I have little fashion sense, but most of that stuff is quite ugly.

post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post

I have little fashion sense, but most of that stuff is quite ugly.

 

You've just been sensitized by actually living through the mid-70s. 

post #4 of 20

I was expecting gaudy, hideous prints. All I saw was pretty monochromatic, run of the mill looking ski jackets. A couple with some contrasting color panels, but nothing big. What exactly is so bad about them?

post #5 of 20

gotta say I like their line. It's not for me but I think for the most part their lines have always been clean and simple.

post #6 of 20

Other than being really expensive what am I missing? I don't see anything out of the ordinary there.

post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

gotta say I like their line. It's not for me but I think for the most part their lines have always been clean and simple.

I thought the same thing for the most part. 

 

KJus has always been marketed to the elite customer.  The prices are actually quite reasonable in comparison to their MSRP.  

What surprises me is that they're selling their 2013 Samples on line when they have shipments to retail outlets for this product. 

post #8 of 20

Lasse Kjus has found a market and is filling its needs. Good for him. Its called capitalism. Don't like how it looks or how much it costs? Then don't buy it.

post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

I thought the same thing for the most part. 

 

KJus has always been marketed to the elite customer.  The prices are actually quite reasonable in comparison to their MSRP.  

What surprises me is that they're selling their 2013 Samples on line when they have shipments to retail outlets for this product. 

'cause it aint' Kjus selling them.... OTW they wouldn't be dumped on line....

post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeski919 View Post

I was expecting gaudy, hideous prints.

 

That particular tint of orange, in the same line as  /asymmetrically/ contrasting color panels, scream 'I used the sweater I got for Christmas in  1976 for inspiration, oh and I also have this lava lamp'.   

 

As noted above, some of us have been sensitized.   Kinda like poison ivy - exposure once means bigger allergy the second time.

post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

'cause it aint' Kjus selling them.... OTW they wouldn't be dumped on line....

I was trying to remain a little naive about the way the world really works. 

post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylrwnzl View Post

Other than being really expensive what am I missing? I don't see anything out of the ordinary there.

I tried on a Kjus jacket last year.  I wasn't going to pay the 800 Euro price tag and it wasn't the best looking jacket but it was hands down the most comfortable fit I have ever experienced.

post #13 of 20

there's a whole thread on Kjus jackets that drones on for many pages. Kjus is very well constructed with good quality materials. Its the ultimate in resort wear with a focus on fashion and comfort. Its a refreshing alternative to Spyder and Bogner styling. 

post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by chraya View Post

I tried on a Kjus jacket last year.  I wasn't going to pay the 800 Euro price tag and it wasn't the best looking jacket but it was hands down the most comfortable fit I have ever experienced.


Yep, same thing here. Super comfortable and well made. Couldn't afford the jacket I tried on, but I liked it a lot.
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

there's a whole thread on Kjus jackets that drones on for many pages. Kjus is very well constructed with good quality materials. Its the ultimate in resort wear with a focus on fashion and comfort. Its a refreshing alternative to Spyder and Bogner styling. 

 

It's an alternative.   I'm not so sure I'd go so far as 'refreshing'.      Ok, if you twisted my arm  I might go so far as to admit 'refreshing' as in 'really hot cup of acidic Guatemalan coffee'.    On that scale, Norrona is a limeade on ice with a sprig of basil.

post #16 of 20

Interesting to see Spyder and Bogner pop up here too. From a value point of view - which I define as the relationship between cost and function - Kjus, Spyder and Bogner represent some of the worst values in the industry. Maybe the worst. 

 

Don't get me wrong. I have no aversion to paying a large premium for a gain in performance. I just try not to pay large premiums for no gain whatsoever in performance. And in some cases with these brands' lines, lower performance. But then there is no point in yet again rehashing that other thread. Even though we likely will. wink.gif

post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post

 

It's an alternative.   I'm not so sure I'd go so far as 'refreshing'.      Ok, if you twisted my arm  I might go so far as to admit 'refreshing' as in 'really hot cup of acidic Guatemalan coffee'.    On that scale, Norrona is a limeade on ice with a sprig of basil.

I must admit, my Norrona is still one of my favorites. 

 

The new SOS Stuff is super nice.  I'd dare say in a classic version of Kjus class. 

post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post

 

It's an alternative.   I'm not so sure I'd go so far as 'refreshing'.      Ok, if you twisted my arm  I might go so far as to admit 'refreshing' as in 'really hot cup of acidic Guatemalan coffee'.    On that scale, Norrona is a limeade on ice with a sprig of basil.

refreshing in the sense that its not a zipper covered multi colored padded shoulder 20 pound jacket. Kjus at least has better construction and workmanship and cleaner lines with much less of a   bling oriented approach.  Its more like a nice small production mexican or etheopian. Dare say even a Rawanda?   Nice balance, low acid more fruit forward....biggrin.gif

post #19 of 20
Thread Starter 

The reason for the initial post was my respect and enjoyment of what the Serena/Kjus team created over the early period of their company... although pricey, their gear was unparalleled in design, fit and functionality... easy to dismiss as luxury fluff, anyone who owned their gear was a convert and the pleasure it contributed to my ski experience is probably second only to a great fitting pair of boots.. then the spray paint designs came along, then the salt and pepper and now the seriously heinous 70s designs... it seems a play to capture a younger demographic (perverse given the 70s design cues) and perhaps it will work, but I really hope it doesn't... those designs are hideous...

 

And the stuff being sold on Ebay are clearly samples and not the company dumping their gear... it doesnt say anything negative about the company... its just a preview of the ugliness to come...

 

I've never bought into the Kjus symbolism and prestige although I did pick up an early Formula jacket at half price one summer and its been the best jacket I've ever owned... until this little offshoot company started by some Kjus designers, Mountain Force, started producing under the radar high end skiwear which made me a convert pretty quick... again, I'll pass on the luxury tag, but picked up a couple of Mountain Force pieces over the past few summers at big discounts and to my mind they are the best skiwear maker at the moment... the clothes feel like you are wearing long underwear and yet you have total bomber windproofness and warmth with instant heat and moisture release as soon as you get on the lift... some of the details are not quite as finessed as Kjus, but the overall functionality is superior... if anyone finds their things on the sale rack, grab them... although we shall see if they go for the 70's schlock when they unveil their '13 line!

post #20 of 20

I felt similarly when Descente went through their pseudo Pollock stage.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Is Kjus kidding with this stuff?