New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What bindings for S7?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

Got a new pair of S7 188. I am 6'1" 210 lbs. I am pretty aggresive and have Technica Dragon 110 boots. I might go with an AT binding if someone suggests a good one but I am rarely outside the ropes and stay on the resort 95% of the time.  I almost bought a set of Marker Dukes that I came across at ski shop the other day. Had a heck of a price on them but held off. I am open for any suggestions. Thanks.

post #2 of 16

My suggestion is the Marker Schizo in whichever flavor you like. The S7 can be pretty sensitive to mounting point and that can make or break the ski. The ability to roll the binding forward and back at a moments notice is really nice to have.

post #3 of 16

How about a Salotomic AT binder?

post #4 of 16

If you aren't going to USE an AT binding then don't throw your money (and the skis performance) away on one. Put a regular alpine binding, of what ever brand you prefer, with a DIN range of at least 12 on and go rip.

post #5 of 16

^^^^^ What he said. And if you're not going to follow Rossignol suggested mount point (-2 for non-freestyle skiing), then what Epic said. 

post #6 of 16

2nd what Beyond said.  I'm your size and ski the Super 7 in 195.  If you have the regular S7 its a pretty soft ski for big guys and you don't want to be forward.  And not to sidetrack the thread did you get some demo time on that ski?  The reason I ask is the Super comes in a 188 as well which I think would be a better call for you if you don't want to go to 195 (which if you have the option I would encourage you to consider).  The 7 is a great ski but it skis short and there are some folks on varius threads (blister, TGR) who think even the Super needs more muscle.  If you skied it and liked it then mount em up and hope for snow.  If not there deals are there to be found. 

post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 

I did demo this ski in Steamboat for a couple of days. Actually caught some good snow while I had them and had a blast almost everywhere. They float in the deep stuff. The only place I didnt like the S7 was at high speed on groomers. They started to chatter and felt pretty unstable compared to my K2 Apaches. According to my alpine replay, at about 50 mph I was getting nervous and I topped out at just over 60 on these skis and felt very uncomfortable going that fast. I have had the K2's over 70 and felt much better about it, but that is not what I bought the S7 for. I bought these skis for powder days and in the trees. I maybe could have bumped up to the 195 but the 188's seem huge to me, and when I demoed them the 188s felt great.

post #8 of 16

I would guess 50+ MPH on those would make anyone feel nervous; the reason the Squad 7 is coming out next year is for more stability.  At any rate the 7 is a great ski and I have had many good days on mine.  Not to beat the horse dead but the there's a Super 188 version if you want to go that route.  If you don't go with a schizo a good match for this ski is a Marker Griffon or Jester as they have no stand height and are not heavy.    

post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycurtis View Post
According to my alpine replay, at about 50 mph I was getting nervous and I topped out at just over 60 on these skis and felt very uncomfortable going that fast.

eek.gif Going 60 mph on my S7's would get me into a low earth orbit, and I'm 165 lbs. Not what they're for; if you want that, strongly suggest selling them and looking at some fat black Nordicas for next year. 

post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post

eek.gif  Going 60 mph on my S7's would get me into a low earth orbit, and I'm 165 lbs. Not what they're for; if you want that, strongly suggest selling them and looking at some fat black Nordicas for next year. 

It's definitely not what I bought the skis for but I had to at least try it. Right? smile.gif I kept my K2's for the days with little snow and when I need to fulfill my need for high speeds.
post #11 of 16

What's "alpine replay"?  I am very skeptical about your reported speeds.  It doesn't matter and I don't really care, but my GPS has given me speed data that I know is way higher than I actually travelled.  I find the S7 is pretty good on groomers at "speeds" that make me one of the faster people on the slope if I put them on edge and work the for aft through the turn arc.  There was a day last season when I was skiing with some really strong skiers on perfect wind buff that I was barely keeping up the ski felt very unstable and overly turny.  I was wishing for my E98 that day.

 

I agree that the ski feels short and my biggest criticism of it is that it should be stiffer.  I ride the 188 standard S7, I'm 5'10" 175lb.  If I get offered skis again this year I might go for a Squad 7 or an E88 to use as a tele set-up

post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonpwdrjunkie View Post

What's "alpine replay"?  I am very skeptical about your reported speeds.  It doesn't matter and I don't really care, but my GPS has given me speed data that I know is way higher than I actually travelled.  I find the S7 is pretty good on groomers at "speeds" that make me one of the faster people on the slope if I put them on edge and work the for aft through the turn arc.  There was a day last season when I was skiing with some really strong skiers on perfect wind buff that I was barely keeping up the ski felt very unstable and overly turny.  I was wishing for my E98 that day.

 

I agree that the ski feels short and my biggest criticism of it is that it should be stiffer.  I ride the 188 standard S7, I'm 5'10" 175lb.  If I get offered skis again this year I might go for a Squad 7 or an E88 to use as a tele set-up

Alpine replay is a smart phone app that records your day on the slopes. If you have a smart phone check it out on your phone or google it. Is it super accurate? I doubt it but it shouldnt be more than 5 mph off. It would all depend on how accurate your gps on your phone is.

 

When I really want to open up I just find a nice open groomed black run (usually Valley View or See Me at Steamboat) point the skis downhill and turn em loose. I will admit that it is not real safe and if I went down it would take forever to stop and if god forbid someone skied in front me both of us would probably be dead. 

 

I will see if I can somehow post a screen shot of a day at Steamboat.

post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycurtis View Post

Got a new pair of S7 188. I am 6'1" 210 lbs. I am pretty aggresive and have Technica Dragon 110 boots. I might go with an AT binding if someone suggests a good one but I am rarely outside the ropes and stay on the resort 95% of the time.  I almost bought a set of Marker Dukes that I came across at ski shop the other day. Had a heck of a price on them but held off. I am open for any suggestions. Thanks.

 

OK, this is simple, in bounds on a 7 just get a jester, TT or FKS. any of those will be great.

 

BTW- please let me know where you are doing 60 on a 188 at the boat so I can stay far away! (note not even a super 7!) 

post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 

Not sure if this will work.

 

I noticed that Steamboats fastest speed is 79 mph.

 

I didnt have alpine replay last year. I recorded my 70mph run off of a Garmin last year.

 

Max Speed

Your maximum speed was:

55.4

mph - your

3rd
fastest

Personal Best

 

59.9 mph
 

You are

2752nd

of all users

Created with Raphaël03366100Overall PercentileKurt A.
How Fast Were Each of Your Runs?Created with Raphaël0204060RunsFirst
 

 

post #15 of 16

is that with or without spurs?

post #16 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

is that with or without spurs?

with spurs. without brains!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion