EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Automotive/Car Talk › What 3rd row SUV for Snow season use?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What 3rd row SUV for Snow season use? - Page 4

post #91 of 101

I used to be unbiased in this discussion. No longer (more on that below). I've had an MDX and a Pilot. They've both been great snow cars with snow tires on them. In retrospect, I really liked the little niceties that come with the Acura brand over the Honda brand (on basically the same car). I never thought I'd put value in some of those little things. 

 

I now work for an Infiniti dealer (hence the reduced bias). The new JX35 has been selling amazingly well against the MDX (and Audi and Merc). The seating configuration flexibility is awesome. You can get in/out of the 3rd row from both sides (split bench middle row both sides slide forward). You can even leave the car seat in the middle row when sliding it forward to get to the back. There's more room behind the 3rd row seats than in the MDX. The middle row has two positions, depending on the size of the people you put in the back. And anyone who has to park the thing in any urban/suburban setting absolutely loves the around-view camera. You can park it so easily when you can see both front and rear bumpers. Similar things can be said about the QX-56, which used to be an Armada clone, but is now a completely separate vehicle. It's the size of an Escalade or Navigator, but handles/rides like a big car. 

 

Snow performance on the JX35 remains to be seen, but it is AWD with FWD when AWD isn't needed. Personally, I love the air conditioned seats. If anyone lives anywhere near the Bay Area, PM me before you come in and I'll make you the best deal you'll find anywhere on any Infiniti vehicle. /spam

post #92 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post

I used to be unbiased in this discussion. No longer (more on that below). I've had an MDX and a Pilot. They've both been great snow cars with snow tires on them. In retrospect, I really liked the little niceties that come with the Acura brand over the Honda brand (on basically the same car). I never thought I'd put value in some of those little things. 

 

I now work for an Infiniti dealer (hence the reduced bias). The new JX35 has been selling amazingly well against the MDX (and Audi and Merc). The seating configuration flexibility is awesome. You can get in/out of the 3rd row from both sides (split bench middle row both sides slide forward). You can even leave the car seat in the middle row when sliding it forward to get to the back. There's more room behind the 3rd row seats than in the MDX. The middle row has two positions, depending on the size of the people you put in the back. And anyone who has to park the thing in any urban/suburban setting absolutely loves the around-view camera. You can park it so easily when you can see both front and rear bumpers. Similar things can be said about the QX-56, which used to be an Armada clone, but is now a completely separate vehicle. It's the size of an Escalade or Navigator, but handles/rides like a big car. 

 

Snow performance on the JX35 remains to be seen, but it is AWD with FWD when AWD isn't needed. Personally, I love the air conditioned seats. If anyone lives anywhere near the Bay Area, PM me before you come in and I'll make you the best deal you'll find anywhere on any Infiniti vehicle. /spam

 

(tossing softball) Infiniti is one of the few Asian cars that have a soul, most are just the automotive version of tofu. In the car lines the FM platform cars are very nice and the handling and balance of them and their SUV's is very good. The new JX is very nice but the QX is one ugly muthah...sorry. 

post #93 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

the QX is one ugly muthah

 

Agreed 100%. That thing is ... shudder.

post #94 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

 

(tossing softball) Infiniti is one of the few Asian cars that have a soul, most are just the automotive version of tofu. 

Too fat a pitch to ignore. If soul is defined as idiosyncratic handling, unfathomable ergonomics, and frequent trips to the shop, you're definitely right. In fact, in the soul index, forget Asian altogether, Jeeps rule. So much soul it's leaking out of the engine. Oh, sorry, that's oil. But for those of us who value reliability when it's nighttime, snowing, and 5 degrees outside, tofu tastes better than chewing on your triple A card waiting for the tow truck...

post #95 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

 

(tossing softball) Infiniti is one of the few Asian cars that have a soul, most are just the automotive version of tofu. In the car lines the FM platform cars are very nice and the handling and balance of them and their SUV's is very good. The new JX is very nice but the QX is one ugly muthah...sorry. 

 

My kids disagree about the current QX.  They love that thing.  Personally, I'd prefer the unadulterated Nissan Patrol, but hey.

 

And I can't say enough good things about my 2008 EX35.  I wish it had a smidge more torque, or maybe it's just that it accelerates so effortlessly that I don't get the shove-in-the-back feeling.

post #96 of 101

Check out MDX, even a used one. Excellent snow performance (and non-snow performance as well) with decent interior size. 

 

Since I believe decent snow tire is the first priority and makes a lot more difference than AWD system, regardless of what kind of AWD system a car has (i.e. your tire not slipping is the first priority - how the car behaves under slip is important but secondary), I think other amenities (space, ease of access) are more important.

 

With all that said, I'd prefer a car with an AWD system that has better control and flexibility - in terms of how much torque it can send to front/back and left/right. Some systems can't send torque the non-slipping left side wheel at all if the right is slipping completely. Some systems can only send very small amount of torque to the rear or front. They all have different impact on what situation it can handle better. 

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-wheel_drive

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_Vectoring

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsen

 

For obviously completely biased videos:

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OzK-oRPCbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ft0HcISjzY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJZxVefta68

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL1XKZRRz7Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2gy_6Jbu9g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktoGVBR4op4

post #97 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by tromano View Post

 

Hah!

 

So Madeline and I signed paper wok for the Chevy Traverse today. We take delivery Monday. Yay!

This post from 6 days ago.  

 

Any pics of the new car? 

post #98 of 101
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

This post from 6 days ago.  

 

Any pics of the new car? 

 

Actually not yet. We pick it up Wednesday. 

post #99 of 101

Hope you picked up and are enjoying your new car!

post #100 of 101
Thread Starter 

We finally got the new mommy mobile home. 

 

Here she is with the little brother. 

1000

 

1000

 

1000

 

And the money shot!

 

1000

post #101 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by tromano View Post

We finally got the new mommy mobile home. 

 

Here she is with the little brother. 

1000

 

1000

 

1000

 

And the money shot!

 

1000

Congrats here. Go put some miles on her. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Automotive/Car Talk
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Automotive/Car Talk › What 3rd row SUV for Snow season use?