New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Advice in equipment

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 

Hello to everyone.

I'm willing to buy skis, my level is intermediate to advance (spend most of my time in black ones and the trees), but i have little money to spend. The thing is, do you recommend me to buy this skis and bindings?

 

DYNASTAR " OUTLAND " 6 - 1.86 cm
Tyrolia Free Flex Plus 10

My wieght is 95kg (209lbs) and I''m 1.95m tall (6.46'').

Every information on this will be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

 

s_MLA_v_F_f_2690205116_052012.jpgs_MLA_v_F_f_2690206205_052012.jpgs_MLA_v_F_f_2690183591_052012.jpg

post #2 of 21
It looks a little short for a guy your size. What's your busget for skis/bindings? I think others will ask how much do you wanna spend on the purchase...
post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post

It looks a little short for a guy your size. What's your busget for skis/bindings? I think others will ask how much do you wanna spend on the purchase...

Hi mfa81, thank you for your reply,

the length item is something i cared about. My budget depends on what i find, i'm from argentina, and prices and market offers are different from the US. I'm looking something that suits me ok, and i preffer no to waste more than 500 us dollars.

Thank you

post #4 of 21

Please tell me where it says how long the skis are (and how long they are).

I would probably want sturdier bindings, but that's just me.
 

post #5 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

Please tell me where it says how long the skis are (and how long they are).

I would probably want sturdier bindings, but that's just me.
 

Hi Ghost, the skis are 1.86 centimiters, or 6.1 feet. Ok, i take the strudier advice, i dont know how to know which are strudier.

Thank you for your reply!

post #6 of 21

1.86 centimeters is less than an inch long.  Do you mean 1.86 metres?

(there are 100 centimetres in 1 metre, and 2.54 centrimetres in one inch)

1.86 metres will probably be long enough.  Also if you don't plan to keep the ski too long (because if you ski a lot, you may soon want a more advanced-expert ski ) and your DIN is less than 10, then go ahead and get them.

post #7 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

1.86 centimeters is less than an inch long.  Do you mean 1.86 metres?

(there are 100 centimetres in 1 metre, and 2.54 centrimetres in one inch)

1.86 metres will probably be long enough.  Also if you don't plan to keep the ski too long (because if you ski a lot, you may soon want a more advanced-expert ski ) and your DIN is less than 10, then go ahead and get them.

Ghost, yes, i meant 1.86 meters. I'm finding this information very useful. Help me please in this issues. My level is intermediate to advance, and i want to buy skis that suit me. Do you this that the ski may be right for me? Is this ski good? The last thing, do you know how can I find my DIN? I belive its 11 (after some research in the internet). 

I;v always rented skis, so that why i have no idea on equipment details.

Thank you again!

post #8 of 21

Your DIN http://www.dinsetting.com/

Don't forget to include boot sole length measured in mm (25.4 mm = 1 inch).

Type refers to how much you would rather risk the ski injuring you by staying on instead of being injured in a fall because the ski came off when you didn't want it to come off.  It has very little to do with ability. 

 

Those skis, imho, would be fine as an all-around ski for an intermediate skier, unless you enjoy skiing faster than say 2/3 of the other skiers on the hill, or if you ski mostly hard surfaces.

 

Here's a site with reviews I consider well done and worth the subscription fee, expertskier.com

post #9 of 21

For $500 you can do WAY better.  Those are worth $20.  Those are very old skis.

post #10 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidude72 View Post

For $500 you can do WAY better.  Those are worth $20.  Those are very old skis.

Skidude72, yes, in other country, like the US, here, I cant do better. For eg, in evo, any buy that costs 300, turns to 600 when sent to argentina.

Thank you.

post #11 of 21

Manefurt, any chance you can hookup with anyone here in the states traveling down there? Maybe you can have them bring you down a pair? Ski's are very pricey down there for sure. I think the rentals at Valle Nevado are sali Xscreams!

post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

Manefurt, any chance you can hookup with anyone here in the states traveling down there? Maybe you can have them bring you down a pair? Ski's are very pricey down there for sure. I think the rentals at Valle Nevado are sali Xscreams!

 

Good point here. No kidding, in another ski site (tetongravity.com), there's many that go to the south in our summer, and for $500 could bring along skis that would be light-years better than those. As indicated before, those skis are best used for making chairs.

 

Just be careful to explain your situation with much hubris, as things can get out of hand quickly on that site, however they'll also help out greatly if the asker is genuine and humble.

post #13 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

Manefurt, any chance you can hookup with anyone here in the states traveling down there? Maybe you can have them bring you down a pair? Ski's are very pricey down there for sure. I think the rentals at Valle Nevado are sali Xscreams!

Hello Finndog, not really, when someone goes to the states, they bring things for them, not enogh space for a pair of skis, that why I need to solve this situation here.

Thank you!

post #14 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post

 

Good point here. No kidding, in another ski site (tetongravity.com), there's many that go to the south in our summer, and for $500 could bring along skis that would be light-years better than those. As indicated before, those skis are best used for making chairs.

 

Just be careful to explain your situation with much hubris, as things can get out of hand quickly on that site, however they'll also help out greatly if the asker is genuine and humble.

snofun3, thank you, im going to check that site you are recommending. When you say light years is because you think that the skis propposed by me are really to far from what is common nowadays? Thats the point of my general problem, I dont want to buy something to far away from skis that can give me best results.

For example, I play tennis, and I know about raquets, and I belive that modern raquets arent to different from raquets from 10 years ago. Thay are practicaly the same. But, I also know there are 2 types of raquets, the "real ones" and the "recreational ones", and there are big differences between them. Im trying to lear form you this key points that I should learn from skis equipment.

Yes, im trying to be humble always, and specially when asiking for help. If I said something different from it, its maybe for my bad english, but im really grateful to everyone helping me here.

 

Thank you!

post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekurt View Post

Hello Finndog, not really, when someone goes to the states, they bring things for them, not enogh space for a pair of skis, that why I need to solve this situation here.

Thank you!

i suggested this because i have seen it done before

post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekurt View Post

snofun3, thank you, im going to check that site you are recommending. When you say light years is because you think that the skis propposed by me are really to far from what is common nowadays? Thats the point of my general problem, I dont want to buy something to far away from skis that can give me best results.

For example, I play tennis, and I know about raquets, and I belive that modern raquets arent to different from raquets from 10 years ago. Thay are practicaly the same. But, I also know there are 2 types of raquets, the "real ones" and the "recreational ones", and there are big differences between them. Im trying to lear form you this key points that I should learn from skis equipment.

Yes, im trying to be humble always, and specially when asiking for help. If I said something different from it, its maybe for my bad english, but im really grateful to everyone helping me here.

 

Thank you!


MANY recommendation threads here. Do yourself a favor and spend some time looking at ones with 80mm waist as titles.

post #17 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post


MANY recommendation threads here. Do yourself a favor and spend some time looking at ones with 80mm waist as titles.

 

Ok, I will then Thanks
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

Please tell me where it says how long the skis are (and how long they are).

I would probably want sturdier bindings, but that's just me.
 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

1.86 centimeters is less than an inch long.  Do you mean 1.86 metres?

(there are 100 centimetres in 1 metre, and 2.54 centrimetres in one inch)

1.86 metres will probably be long enough.  Also if you don't plan to keep the ski too long (because if you ski a lot, you may soon want a more advanced-expert ski ) and your DIN is less than 10, then go ahead and get them.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekurt View Post

Hello to everyone.

I'm willing to buy skis, my level is intermediate to advance (spend most of my time in black ones and the trees), but i have little money to spend. The thing is, do you recommend me to buy this skis and bindings?

 

DYNASTAR " OUTLAND " 6 - 1.86 cm
Tyrolia Free Flex Plus 10

My wieght is 95kg (209lbs) and I''m 1.95m tall (6.46'').

Every information on this will be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

 

s_MLA_v_F_f_2690205116_052012.jpgs_MLA_v_F_f_2690206205_052012.jpgs_MLA_v_F_f_2690183591_052012.jpg

 

You're worried about a FreeFlex D10 not being sturdy enough?! 

 

The D10 is a race binding that has a DIN of 17.

post #19 of 21
Thread Starter 

Caucasian Asian, thank you foir your reply. After all sugestions, Im not gooing to buy this ones.

Thank you!

post #20 of 21

I stand corrected.  I should have looked more closely; I have Tyrolia FreeFlex 17+.  Din is 6 to 17.  It is a good binding.  I mistakenly thought the 10 went to 10. 

redface.gif

 

How old are the skis?

post #21 of 21

We are so spoiled in America.

 

I feel truly lucky to live here, I'm broke most of the time because I'm saving up for gear and a season pass.  

 

In the rest of the world everything is so much more expensive, it takes way more commitment to save and spend twice as much for less than current stuff.

 

This is across the board, musical equipment, home electronics, sporting goods, we just rack up the credit card but poor schlubs in Argentina, Slovenia, or any other country need to sacrifice a lot more for their devotion towards their passion.

 

To the OP, what are the duty fees Argentina charge?  You may be able to do better looking in a favorable market.

 

Best of luck, I hope you didn't end up getting those older sticks for that much cash.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion