or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › What expert level skis should I get?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What expert level skis should I get? - Page 3

post #61 of 75

smoked sardines?

post #62 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post


I do not think that word you use means what it is you think it means.  Early rise <> Rocker.  Show me two xgames competitors that ski half pipe on rockers.  I haven't seen anybody tearing up a pipe on rockers.

 

snowfight.gif

Early rise, by common current usage here and on TGR, not to mention the industry, means "mild to moderate front rocker."Yep, (gasp) while you were away, the word "rocker" has been evolving (language does that), and it no longer is limited to the very few remaining skis produced that have a continuous mathematical curve front to back. There's a nice discussion by MO of the various terms here and on TGR, although it's also getting dated. Typically early rise ranges from 250 to 400 mm. Splay varies. They can have mild traditional camber underfoot (eg, Moment's "moustache rocker on the PB&J) or they can be flat underfoot (eg Elan Mons Olympus, which calls it "resort rocker," or the Blizzard Cochise, which calls flipcore "natural rocker.") 

 

So give up; you blew it on the P90 for several reasons (you haven't even mentioned the tail) and you're also cleverly ignoring your mistaken claim that the three dead-on twin tip park skis I recommended were somehow not park skis and for unknown reasons a potentially dangerous call. 

 

Besides which, Elvis has left the building; the OP is long gone. And it's terminally boring drift to get into (another) thread on what rocker means. Like all language, it means what people are using it to mean; prescriptivism is 1950's linguistics. But carry on; an angry letter to SKI, with copies to all the manufacturers, would be useful. words.gif

post #63 of 75

yeah, early rise just means a little rocker but it doesn't really effect the way sardines in tomato sauce taste.  (which I really like, seriously) 

post #64 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwagner View Post


Hello, I am 19 years old and have been skiing all of my life and consider myself an expert skier. I'm 5'10" and 170 lbs. I currently live in the midwest but typically get out west atleast 1 week a year. My skiing in the midwest is limited to groomers and park skiing but when I go out west I typically spend my time 40% powder, 30% glades/tree runs, 25% steep groomers, and 5% park. I am looking for one ski to do it all. I have been eyeing the Line Prophet 90 179 or 186 but I'm afraid its not an advanced enough ski for me. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I came from the midwest and skied 20+ years before getting a ski for out west skiing.  That being said, try something in the mid 90's like the Dynastar Sultan 94, or Blizzard Bonafide 98, or the Rossi Experience 98, or if you wanted to try something a little narrower that may be the ticket for your local conditions, go in the 80's with the Blizzard 8.7, or blizzard Bushwacker, or Kastle MX88......or......there are a bunch of great skis to try. 

post #65 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

yeah, early rise just means a little rocker but it doesn't really effect the way sardines in tomato sauce taste.  (which I really like, seriously) 


This has great potential for a signature.

post #66 of 75

I can has early rocker with sardines in tomato sauce.

post #67 of 75

Hmmm.......since we're in the middle (or the end) of thread drift......no one instructed this aspiring expert that he must buy a helmet.

post #68 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

I came from the midwest and skied 20+ years before getting a ski for out west skiing.  That being said, try something in the mid 90's like the Dynastar Sultan 94, or Blizzard Bonafide 98, or the Rossi Experience 98, or if you wanted to try something a little narrower that may be the ticket for your local conditions, go in the 80's with the Blizzard 8.7, or blizzard Bushwacker, or Kastle MX88......or......there are a bunch of great skis to try. 

 

Kudos to Trekchick for staying on track, taking the OP seriously and providing useful information. 

post #69 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiredUsername View Post

Hmmm.......since we're in the middle (or the end) of thread drift......no one instructed this aspiring expert that he must buy a helmet.

 

Wait - the usual response for anyone asking about skis (even said experts) is "boots first".

 

So - to the OP expert - BOOTS FIRST. And, for experts, that means red ones!

post #70 of 75
You onfingers are funny.Once again I am late to the party. ,,....I love you guys! .........,...-Polski -
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post

Wait - the usual response for anyone asking about skis (even said experts) is "boots first".

So - to the OP expert - BOOTS FIRST. And, for experts, that means red ones!
post #71 of 75
Two years late.
post #72 of 75

Nice going "ambassadors".  Drove a guy away after 1 post. Thumbs Down

post #73 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpSKI View Post
 

Nice going "ambassadors".  Drove a guy away after 1 post. Thumbs Down

Really?  Have you by any chance noticed how many one-post wonders there have been the past 2-3 months and all quite similar?  Advanced to expert skier, ski everything anywhere anytime, ski 7-10 days a year since they were born, etc.etc.  But, they know nothing about boots or skis or poles or bindings or clothing.  What makes you think this is something other than just another troll.

post #74 of 75
Ah another Internet Skier.
post #75 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmow View Post

Ah another Internet Skier.

 


>not realizing that some people really are expert skiers but simply haven't had the opportunity to demo different types of skis, due to money and/or limited opportunity to ski in the mountains
You must just be jealous that some midwesterners are better than you.

I doubt OP is still looking for anything at this point, but just in case... For one ski to do it all, I would recommend the Line Chronic. Light and fun twin tip, stable at speed, carves well, has enough rocker to plow through crud. Very fun ski, I wish I had a pair. If possible, get a pair of fat (115-120 underfoot) rockers as well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › What expert level skis should I get?