New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

3 months living in the USA

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 

Hi everybody..

I'm from Argentina and probably will be working for 3 months in the USA, during the winter.

I'd like to ask you which could be the best place to spend my time there; knowing that I would have to work 8 hours a day, and being paid depending my job and place!

I can choose between Colorado and California: Vail or Aspen and S. Lake Tahoe respectively.

All are awesome places, but as I've never been in none of them (and never in the US), I don't know which one could be the best for first experience in the country..

I would be paid around $8 per hour, more or less depending position and resort or hotel. It's important for me to be well paid and to know that every single day I will work ( I was adverted that sometimes, there aren't many people around because doesn't snow, or is bad day.. and workers have to go back without working and try at the other day). I have to pay for a housing, food, and maybe transport too.

Anyway.. In Aspen I would work for Snowmass. In Vail, in a hotel, and in Lake Tahoe in Heavenly resort. 

I'm young, so beyond working, I would like to improve my English, meeting new people, learn skiing or snowboard, have good nightlife, and have fun of course! And beautiful city and views!!! I'm looking for the place that have all these together, or at least to try!

So which one could be the best place??!!

 

thanks a lot :D

post #2 of 25

Rambling, have you spoken to anyone at the resort about realistic expectations for housing and living expenses? Are you bringing a substantial amount of money to cover rent, food and living expenses? $8.00 per hour (more or less) is $320 per week before taxes IF you work full time. What are you planning to do here? Instructing? ; this leaves you will very little money to live on. Is there employee housing offered? Ski pass? I think others here who can better help you but I think you need to speak with whoever is running the organization bringing you to the states to get more info.

 

Best of luck to you and I hope it all works out well. 

post #3 of 25
Vail quit hiring foreign instructors a couple seasons ago, and I think Aspen did too. I'm guessing this is hotel work arranged by a contractor in Argentina who advertises for students to work a winter in the US.
post #4 of 25

Aspen, hands down. 

 

If you work for the Aspen Ski Corp in Snowmass, they have employee housing.  It might be cramped, but no worse than most college dorms.

  You'll have a great time!

post #5 of 25
Thread Starter 

Finndog, I can do this because here in Arg, there are companies that work in make a link between argetinian students and different resorts in USA. It is something, not very common, but that many students during the summer holidays do.

What the company does is giving you the contact with the employer, and make easier the paper for the VISA. 

I would leave Arg. with a job and house rented with other people.

Employer usually offer a house (I have to pay for it anyway), sky pass, free lessons, discounts in food, etc..  

In Snowmass i would work as a Lift Operator, selling tickets and that..

In Vail hostess, restaurant busser, and in Tahoe food and beverage attendant..

 

But, again, beyond the job, this is the only way I can travel on my own, and it's because of knowing a new place im actually going! It is supposed that with the money I earn there I can pay my stay and the company that helps me.

post #6 of 25

Sounds great! I wish you much sucess and many powder days.

post #7 of 25
Sounds like a J1 "student" visitor visa.
post #8 of 25
Thread Starter 

jajaj it is ;)

post #9 of 25
Aspen/Snowmass will be fun, but if you're a lift op or ticket salesperson you will get very little opportunity to ski.

Working Vail in food service (or Tahoe) you might be able to have evening shifts and then be able to ski during the day.

Vail doesn't require a car to get around, there's a very good free bus system, so your nightlife would be easier then Tahoe which is more spread out.

I'm leaning towards recommending Vail.
post #10 of 25
Financially your $ will go. A lot further in south lake Tahoe. Getting around there is reasonably straightforward and if you want to travel a bit you have more options, closer, ( eg San Fran) than vail or aspen
post #11 of 25

Yeah. Plus the place is really great. Great snow everywhere.

post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingOn View Post

jajaj it is wink.gif


I've seen J1s earn both their keep and enough to travel across the country at the end of their work period. I've also seen them end up requiring financial rescue from friends or family. Their success depends entirely upon how much work they get, which depends on the weather, the economy and the operations of the job provider. The recruiters in their home countries can make no guarantees and always get paid.
post #13 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson View Post


I've seen J1s earn both their keep and enough to travel across the country at the end of their work period. I've also seen them end up requiring financial rescue from friends or family. Their success depends entirely upon how much work they get, which depends on the weather, the economy and the operations of the job provider. The recruiters in their home countries can make no guarantees and always get paid.

mmm yes.. that's exactly why I'm asking which could be the best place. Once I'm there the company doesn't do anything for, at least I have a very serious problem. I'm quite scared not to earn enough to pay my stay, and I don't want to ask my family for money..

post #14 of 25

Not an expert in this question, but my guess is that the Vail hostess/restaurant job might provide the best financial security because Vail gets a large amount of business/customers even if snow conditions are subpar.  If the Vail job is one that typically receives tips (extra gratuities for good service) then that would mean even more money.  This may also apply to the Tahoe food service job if it is an actual waiter/waitress position.  Inexpensive housing is also important for your overall costs and was mentioned as an advantage for Aspen, but perhaps that is available at the other resorts too?  Agree that Vail and Aspen generally have a higher cost of living than the South Lake Tahoe area near Heavenly.

post #15 of 25
Can you determine which hotels and/or which restaurants, Rambling? Note that Vail Resorts owns or operates hotels in both Vail, CO, and the Lake Tahoe area, among others.
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesj View Post

Not an expert in this question, but my guess is that the Vail hostess/restaurant job might provide the best financial security because Vail gets a large amount of business/customers even if snow conditions are subpar.  If the Vail job is one that typically receives tips (extra gratuities for good service) then that would mean even more money.  This may also apply to the Tahoe food service job if it is an actual waiter/waitress position.  Inexpensive housing is also important for your overall costs and was mentioned as an advantage for Aspen, but perhaps that is available at the other resorts too?  Agree that Vail and Aspen generally have a higher cost of living than the South Lake Tahoe area near Heavenly.

I think there's some sort of employee housing available at all the Vail resorts. They definitely don't give it away, however.
post #17 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson View Post

Can you determine which hotels and/or which restaurants, Rambling? Note that Vail Resorts owns or operates hotels in both Vail, CO, and the Lake Tahoe area, among others.

Sure.. Positions are offered in The Lodge, and The Arrival in Vail. These would pay about 6.85 and 10 per hour (+tips) depending position, would have food discounts, ski pass and the house is provided by the employer for 400/575 per month. 

Snowmass would be pay between 7.65 and 11 per hour. No house, but yes ski lessons, sky pass, food discounts.

Heavenly is about 8.25 per hour.. i don't know if tips will exist there, but also give me sky pass, food discount and house for 11.5 per day, what means 375 per month...

post #18 of 25
Your paychecks will reflect income tax deductions: About 15 per cent federal, 2+ per cent in California, 4+ per cent in Colorado. If you are going to get tips, they may or may not be included. If folks tip by credit card as an addition to their meal or other service charges, they'll be included in your income, and be taxed. If you are handed cash tips, you may or may not have to report those funds.

Without employee housing, I would rule out Snowmass. Housing is very expensive and generally inconvenient to the job location at Snowmass.

Vail may be the more likely place to have enough business if there's poor weather or economy because, as someone already pointed out, Vail caters to a generally higher end vacationer.
post #19 of 25

You really can't go wrong with these opportunities but my guess is Vail would be best. Vail usually has a significant South American trade and its always good to have some folks that you can interact with in your native tongue and it may give you the opportunity to be of more value to your employer.

post #20 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveturner View Post

You really can't go wrong with these opportunities but my guess is Vail would be best. Vail usually has a significant South American trade and its always good to have some folks that you can interact with in your native tongue and it may give you the opportunity to be of more value to your employer.

jajaja for meet argentine people I'd better stay at home ;)

My main idea is to know the american culture, and of course improve my english, that it's, by the way, quite bad. So where the American people are much friendly, there would be a nice place to be. 

I haven't decided yet, so more opinions are welcome, and thanks a lot for the ones that have already replied!!!

post #21 of 25

The most difficult thing to find in a ski town is a place to stay and a reliable way of getting to and from work so that should be top priority.

 

Some ski resort jobs have ski time built in to the schedule. An example: the full time employees at the ski shop where I work get 2 hours off during the day (without pay) to have lunch or go skiing or whatever. At some resorts ski time for lift attendants is also worked into the schedule.

 

Since the OP may not know, the standard work week in the USA (and Canada) is 5 days per week and 8 hours per day. More hours then that and they are supposed to pay overtime (time and a half). Although I just realized that some states may allow employers to have you work 9 hours before they must pay overtime or work longer hours per day and then work less days per week without paying overtime rates.

post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingOn View Post

Sure.. Positions are offered in The Lodge, and The Arrival in Vail. These would pay about 6.85 and 10 per hour (+tips) depending position, would have food discounts, ski pass and the house is provided by the employer for 400/575 per month. 

Snowmass would be pay between 7.65 and 11 per hour. No house, but yes ski lessons, sky pass, food discounts.

Heavenly is about 8.25 per hour.. i don't know if tips will exist there, but also give me sky pass, food discount and house for 11.5 per day, what means 375 per month...


Are you sure that Snowmass doesn't offer housing?  Aspen has many  argy lift ops and most live at the Red Roof employee housing, which is right on the bus line?

 

ASC>VR to work for.

 

The average Vail skier has an Epic pass and lives along the front range.

post #23 of 25
Thread Starter 

Yes, Snowmass doesn't offer any housing. I'm sorry, but I can't go there anymore. The time the employers are asking for me to stay in the USA doesn't correspond with my study times, and because of a rule the USA have said, we can't loose any day class. 

So I can only choose between Vail and S. Lake Tahoe... I really want to go to both places jejeje, but I can't. 

Because of transport, job, and salary, I prefer going to Vail, but S. lake seem to be an unreal place, and also makes me think because the possibility of going to San Francisco, as someone has already told, and I like cities a lot..

 

Anyway.. most of the people I asked, have told me I will have a great time where ever I go =)

Thanks a lot again! I'm deciding this week :D 

post #24 of 25
Vail is more self contained free bus system, etc. Tahoe is a geographic area with different resorts and miles between them.

I'd do Vail if I were you.
post #25 of 25

Hola chica, que envidia te tengo!  Ve a Tahoe, más variedad de montañas cercas, y mucho más barato que Vail/Aspen.  Y aprovecha un fin de semana en Mammoth, espectacular, 4 horas manejando.  Y por supuesto puedes ir a San Francisco +/- 4 horas manejando, Salt Lake City 8 horas, Jackos Hole y Sun Valley 4 horas.

 

Enjoy!
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion