EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Kastle MX78 vs Nordica Fire Arrow 80 Pro?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kastle MX78 vs Nordica Fire Arrow 80 Pro?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

Anyone have a chance to ski both of these skis?  Any comments about edge hold on hard conditions or ice?  Freeride? slush? crud? carving performance?  Powder? Top speed? Primarily skiing NY, WV, PA, NC, TN.  MY Previous skis were Metron B5i, Stockli Stormrider XL, Fischer WC RC.  I was trying to snag some other skis last year for used prices but nothing turned out then realized both the Kastle MX78 and Fire Arrow 80 pro had pretty good reviews.  I would probably ski the Kastle in 184cm and Fire Arrow in 180cm and noticed some decent summer prices on both at times.  Fire Arrow 80 Pro are really good price new at times slashed half off from retail which makes them pretty tempting.     

post #2 of 17

Given that most of your skiing is in the southern edge of eastern skiing, my strong pick would be the Kastle MX 78. It's a great hard snow carver both at slower and higher speeds, a true "best in class ski in the 78ish waist ski" with a ton of very positive reviews. Personally, I would advise the 178 length to gain more capability in bumps or other turning situations. I don't think there is much to gain in a longer length.

 

The Fire Arrow 80 is something I've demo'd with mixed results, better in softer snow than on harder. There is a thread on Epic about the FA80 indicating it's a capable carver, just not loved by all and with graphics to match. If you can get one at a great price, including the system binding, it can be an attractive purchase as Kastle's are pricey and sold flat.

 

 http://www.epicski.com/t/96830/nordica-firearrow-80

 

Not the easiest of choices.

post #3 of 17

As much of a fan of the MX78 as I am, I don't like the FA80. Talk about two polar opposites of skis that are directed to the same segment.

 

Graphics: Kastle: Clean, understated and timeless. Nordica: looks like a clown threw up on them.

 

Shape: Kastle: Simple sandwich profile and sidecut with a square tail. Nordica: GS Forebody, Slalom from the binding back and a turned up tail

 

Bindings: Kastle: The XBS binding on the FA leaves me with a discoed with the ski. Kastle: (If you get the system) Kti, solid billet aluminum plate that enhances speed performance without neutering the feel at lower speeds. 

 

Price: Not too different. 

 

Winner: Kastle

 

Now...the upcoming FA84 is a magnificent ski. and goes up against the Kastle MX83..a Push here..both skis are stellar. 

post #4 of 17

I agree with Phil. Skied last season on the MX 78. Demoed the FA80 at the beginning of this season. Did not care for it at all.

post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 

I am pretty tall close to 6'7"  wt 215-230 so if I find a used or demo MX78 I will probably try to get 184cm that ski is really expensive new.  I have a feeling the MX78 would ski similar to Stockli XL but hopefully a little better edge grip.  The Stockli XL in 184 would get a real skittish on frozen early cord and late night skiing but it did flow well with terrain and was awesome in technical sections.  The old 194 XL had good grip.  I don't really like short skis but only one that would hold my size well was Metron B5i 172 which was fun on over crowded small hill ski resorts with awesome edge grip and still fine in 2 foot of powder.  FA 80 Pro has massive tips and tails like Metron B5i so maybe they ski similar but not sure.  Other used skis I am considering are Rossignol Avenger 82 ti and Elan 82xti.  I have to get all new ski stuff so its a little expensive getting boots poles, bindings and everything else for next season.  I just picked up Progressor 130 boots, Leki Poles, WC booster strap all on summer prices so I am happy about that.  I gave away all my ski gear when had bad accident and regretting it now that I finally recovered from snapping off my hip.            
 

post #6 of 17

Just a heads up, STP has the 184cm MX78 available and it can get way bellow the original price using coupons... it`s flat so you need to find bindings as well

post #7 of 17
Thread Starter 

Thanks I did not see the 20% off coupon at Sierra Trading Post so just got the MX78 in 184 for around 640 shipped.  Hopefully this ski lives up to all the fuss.  Now just have to find some deals on pivots or old mrr bindings. 
 

post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly7686 View Post

Thanks I did not see the 20% off coupon at Sierra Trading Post so just got the MX78 in 184 for around 640 shipped.  Hopefully this ski lives up to all the fuss.  Now just have to find some deals on pivots or old mrr bindings. 
 

 

If it is not shipped cancel the purchase and find a 35% coupon, STP is giving away those deals almost everyday... not hard to find! Right now you can get a 35% coupon from STP on their facebook page! No doubt I would cancel the purchase, this will bring STP price down to ~506, even paying shipping+tax it should save you 100 bucks
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post

If it is not shipped cancel the purchase and find a 35% coupon, STP is giving away those deals almost everyday... not hard to find!Right now you can get a 35% coupon from STP on their facebook page! No doubt I would cancel the purchase, this will bring STP price down to ~506, even paying shipping+tax it should save you 100 bucks

The 35% coupon from a couple of days ago doesnt work on Kastle but today's 30% coupon does
post #10 of 17

Definitely agree, call STP and see if you can cancel if you ordered at 20%.  Or return when you get the package.  

 

Wait or ask around for a 30% or 35% coupon.   It will come around again unless you need the skis immediately.

 

The couponing at STP is very dynamic so the codes are specific to the recipient; but people are happy to share codes they aren't going to use.

 

If you do need one, I have a 30% off+$2.50 shipping coupon at the moment... so about $100 additional off for some legwork

 

Also don't forget about affliate rebates which will get you more % back too...

 

EDIT:
they posted a new 35% off on their facebook: SFBFD6112 

post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly7686 View Post

Thanks I did not see the 20% off coupon at Sierra Trading Post so just got the MX78 in 184 for around 640 shipped.  Hopefully this ski lives up to all the fuss.  Now just have to find some deals on pivots or old mrr bindings. 
 

Pivots for sure. Do NOT put on a MRR. 

post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 

I don't think the 35% worked for the Kastles but I did not get a chance to try it.  I called to cancel the order early this morning and said I would like to use 35% coupon but got silence.  It looks like there is a 30% coupon ALJune2.  Not sure if can use multiple coupons for same item but also a $2.95 shipping coupon cova12.  Its been years since I have ordered from Sierra Trading Post and I forgot all about the deal savings coupons they run regularly.  Thanks for the heads up guys.  MX78 should be decent in waist for mostly ice around these parts.  Even with 30% off that is pretty good price for that ski if it lives up to the hype.      
 

post #13 of 17

Sorry i deleted and threw away my latest dealflyer email so don't remember the code for you.  If i were you, i'd sign up for the dealflyer email list as well as monitor stp's facebook page and just wait for the next coupon code to come around.  

Or find a dealsite forum and see if anyone has a coupon code to give you.

I wouldn't settle for anything less than 30%off+free/2.95 shipping or 35%off+regular shipping, but that's me.

post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytseng View Post

I wouldn't settle for anything less than 30%off+free/2.95 shipping or 35%off+regular shipping, but that's me.

 

Agree, specially because those coupons are quite easy to find, every week there is at least one 35% that is usually good for all skis!

post #15 of 17
here is a 30%+2.5 sh code, it works for the kastle. VKM5133N
post #16 of 17

i got one for 30% off free shipping today, so $2.50 less than mfa81's smile.gif.  HWH1663Y

post #17 of 17

if you haven't bought yet i got this today: JRU0119P for 35% off with free ship.  good till thursday

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Kastle MX78 vs Nordica Fire Arrow 80 Pro?