Last weekend I was lucky enough to make a last minute trip to Whistler. Conditions ranged from untracke in the morning to spring bumps afternoon, with breakable crust to found as well. All in all pretty awesome considering I thought I was done for the season.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Whistler/Blackcomb 2017 Roll Call Last post on 11/25/16 at 12:15am in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
- Core Ski Camp Whistler ??? Last post on 10/5/14 at 5:52pm in Ski Instruction & Coaching
- WB 6-9 December Last post on 12/9/13 at 7:39pm in Trip Reports
- A Second Tour: Whistler-Blackcomb Chronicles of a now 9 year old. Last post on 5/20/12 at 8:26pm in Trip Reports
- Whistler/Blackcomb February 9-16, 2013 Last post on 10/15/12 at 4:53am in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- Summer Skiing: It Doesn't Have to EndLast edited: 5/17/12
Flumserberg is a nice day trip ski resort about an hour train ride from Zurich (or drive). I skied here as a midweek season pass holder for a couple of seasons. Midweek it has small lift lines,...
For any east coast skiers this is like Mad River Glen with wider slopes and big drops to jump off of along with skiing between the trees. Just an all out amazing ski area. Simple and great...
I really love this place, it doesn't have the crowds that the other places around Ottawa have, but this is a legit ski place and is one of those hidden gems that hardcore ski guys/gals love. They...
Good for high volumn, pronated feet, i.e: This is the anti-matter Lange XLR/Banshe/Comp but still very good for people with wider, flatter, lower arched feet who needed or wanted a stiffer boot....
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
- Summer Skiing: It Doesn't Have to End
Whistler April 20 and 21
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Damn! Seriously sweet footy! loved the combo of the steeps and then the fun playful stuff at the bottom; little hits, a few trees, and some very nice snow. Well done.
Edited by Finndog - 4/30/12 at 1:01pm
I think That run was around 10 am last Saturday. Apparently it snowed about 10 inches on Thursday night. They had spanky's closed on Friday for Avy control (someone also told me to save some for the weekend crowd). I got lucky and was about the third person in. It was my first time in the spanky's area nice long run, the whole video was edited from one run.
The snow looked real nice, but you had to stay on your toes because there was some avalanche debri and heavy crusty snow. By the afternoon, alot of the off piste was hard to ski.
The snow looks tremendous, and the video is excellent. Maybe it is the perspective of your video(gopro?) lens, but is Ruby less steep, a lot less than the Sapphire Chutes, though near the tail end, it looked like it got pretty steep? Also, the entry into Ruby's is it very difficult, think for a middle-level intermediate skier? Does one come through Diamond to get to Ruby, or there is a way through Garnet is it? Insights appreciated, for the uninitiated like this writer.
Clearly, the snow looked a nice 6inches deep and soft ice cream, wonderful. We were there till the 14th., while overall glacier was nice, but most of the hard terrain was left well alone by most people as there had been no major fresh snow since around April 2nd, or so. WB is a pleasure to ski, and your video was a great introduction to Ruby, as we have not been on it. We have only been on Sapphire bowl and then the chutes (they are literally vertical from my point of view) into the glacier, and that was in 2011, when there was a lot more snow.
David, I'm also from New Jersey, and I also did a last minute trip (I booked it 4 hours before take off) on April 25, but to Banff, Canada.
The snow was not what I see on your great video (I did not know Whistler has that kind of snow so late into April), but the views are to die for.
- Whistler April 20 and 21
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 1 minute ago
- › MCL Exercises 7 minutes ago
- › How To Record Skiing Videos Like This?? 9 minutes ago
- › Arcteryx vs Patagonia 21 minutes ago
- › Wachusett Conditions and get togethers 22 minutes ago
- › Lange RS 2017 boots 27 minutes ago
- › PCMR 3/28 - 4/2 32 minutes ago
- › Footbeds 44 minutes ago
- › The MAX Pass 2016-17 for 39 areas: Killington, Tremblant, Big Sky,... 45 minutes ago
- › Atomic Hawx Ultra questions 48 minutes ago
- › Flumserberg by willyofoz
- › Kirkwood Mountain Resort by Debbie Burke
- › Mont Sainte Marie by Charles J White
- › 1988 Salomon SX91 Equipe by aarrkk
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › 2017 K2 iKonic 85 Ti Review
- › The Ins and Outs of Proper Layering
- › 2017 Smith ChromaPop - It's Basically...
- › EpicSki Interview with Jess McMillan
- › Epic Ski Image of the Month Contest Terms and...
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues