Last weekend I was lucky enough to make a last minute trip to Whistler. Conditions ranged from untracke in the morning to spring bumps afternoon, with breakable crust to found as well. All in all pretty awesome considering I thought I was done for the season.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Whistler/Blackcomb 2017 Roll Call Last post on 3/6/17 at 4:45am in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
- Core Ski Camp Whistler ??? Last post on 10/5/14 at 5:52pm in Ski Instruction & Coaching
- WB 6-9 December Last post on 12/9/13 at 7:39pm in Trip Reports
- A Second Tour: Whistler-Blackcomb Chronicles of a now 9 year old. Last post on 5/20/12 at 8:26pm in Trip Reports
- Whistler/Blackcomb February 9-16, 2013 Last post on 10/15/12 at 4:53am in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- Summer Skiing: It Doesn't Have to EndLast edited: 5/17/12
After seeing only two reviews, both of them from five years ago, I decided to add to Apex's reputation. If you're into skiing and don't care for the extras like shopping, cafes, restaurants,...
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
- Summer Skiing: It Doesn't Have to End
Whistler April 20 and 21
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Damn! Seriously sweet footy! loved the combo of the steeps and then the fun playful stuff at the bottom; little hits, a few trees, and some very nice snow. Well done.
Edited by Finndog - 4/30/12 at 1:01pm
I think That run was around 10 am last Saturday. Apparently it snowed about 10 inches on Thursday night. They had spanky's closed on Friday for Avy control (someone also told me to save some for the weekend crowd). I got lucky and was about the third person in. It was my first time in the spanky's area nice long run, the whole video was edited from one run.
The snow looked real nice, but you had to stay on your toes because there was some avalanche debri and heavy crusty snow. By the afternoon, alot of the off piste was hard to ski.
The snow looks tremendous, and the video is excellent. Maybe it is the perspective of your video(gopro?) lens, but is Ruby less steep, a lot less than the Sapphire Chutes, though near the tail end, it looked like it got pretty steep? Also, the entry into Ruby's is it very difficult, think for a middle-level intermediate skier? Does one come through Diamond to get to Ruby, or there is a way through Garnet is it? Insights appreciated, for the uninitiated like this writer.
Clearly, the snow looked a nice 6inches deep and soft ice cream, wonderful. We were there till the 14th., while overall glacier was nice, but most of the hard terrain was left well alone by most people as there had been no major fresh snow since around April 2nd, or so. WB is a pleasure to ski, and your video was a great introduction to Ruby, as we have not been on it. We have only been on Sapphire bowl and then the chutes (they are literally vertical from my point of view) into the glacier, and that was in 2011, when there was a lot more snow.
David, I'm also from New Jersey, and I also did a last minute trip (I booked it 4 hours before take off) on April 25, but to Banff, Canada.
The snow was not what I see on your great video (I did not know Whistler has that kind of snow so late into April), but the views are to die for.
- Whistler April 20 and 21
- › Skier dies in accident at Hunter Mountain 6 minutes ago
- › 2016 / 17 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke 8 minutes ago
- › How do I screw bindings on Stockli speedplates? 13 minutes ago
- › Alta and/or Snowbird April 2017, will you be there? 19 minutes ago
- › I want to taste the Kastle Kool-Aid but... 20 minutes ago
- › Anyone still ski and love vintage equipment? 20 minutes ago
- › NYC End of Season Social Gathering 24 minutes ago
- › Expectations for two days of kids lessons? 24 minutes ago
- › Stökli with M AM12 C90 bindings? 49 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 1 hour, 10 minutes ago
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview