I have recently purchased this sidewall planer, as I have heard very good things about it and wanted to fully upgrade my tuning equipment. --http://www.artechski.com/Swix-Economy-Sidewall-Planer-7122.aspx . I am very used to waxing, sharpening, etc. but using a sidewall planer is new to me and the only thing I know is to pull it towards you. There are some intructions on the packaging, but they are poor. I know how to control how far the blade goes out from the tool itself, but I am very confused by how to adjust how deep the blade goes down. I tried twisting the screw on the top as shown in the instructions, but i didn't see it go down or up at all. It seemed useless... however I really want to know what I am doing wrong as I would hate to accidentally tear out a big chunk of the sidewall by not knowing how to adjust the blade
Related Forum Threads
- Help getting started with basic ski tuning. Last post on 11/17/13 at 2:30pm in Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs
- Tuning a RACE SKI Last post on 10/24/13 at 5:36pm in Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs
- Abuse of Proforms.... Last post on 12/17/10 at 12:04pm in General Skiing Discussion
- FS: Swix SL pole half hand guards. New. Last post on 6/3/12 at 11:28am in Gear Swap - Buy & Sell Gear
Edge Tuning So Easy Even An Adult Can Do It
Last edited: 4/19/11
- Spring Snow Base PreparationLast edited: 4/24/11
- Waxing Light Hot ScrapingLast edited: 4/19/11
- Base Repair OptionsLast edited: 4/26/11
- That Pesky Hanging BurrLast edited: 4/23/11
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Baffled About How to Use the Swix Economy Sidewall Planer???post #2 of 54/26/12 at 9:36pmpost #3 of 54/27/12 at 7:43pmThread Starter
When I twist the top screw, I see the blade moving nowhere. In fact it doesn't even seem to be connected to anything, haha. The screw in back definitely works though. The more I twist that one, the farther the blade goes out. I'm just trying to figure out how to control the deepness of the cutter, so I can either cut more or less of the sidewall.post #4 of 54/28/12 at 6:31am
I don't have that sidewall planer but I believe this is how that one works:
The top screw - green arrows - sets the height of the blade on the vertical plane. It has no contact with the blade. It contacts the skis side edge (see solid green arrow). It will not make any changes until it's touching the ski's edge. It lifts or drops one end to raise or lower the blade when on the ski.
The blade is controlled by the black nob (blue arrows) and sets the depth (from the bottom of the base towards the top sheet) on the horizontalish plane. I say horizontalish because on mine it travels diagonally and not just in and out. Not sure how this one travels. Either way, same effect.
Easiest thing to do is set it in place on the ski and turn the two adjustments until you see the movement.
Guess I've procrastinated enough so I can now cut the grass.post #5 of 54/28/12 at 5:21pmThread Starter
- Baffled About How to Use the Swix Economy Sidewall Planer???
- Spring Snow Base Preparation
- › Boutique Vs Big Brands: Which do you prefer? 7 seconds ago
- › How do i go from snow plow to a complete parallel turn? 22 minutes ago
- › Ski Instructor Demo: Short video of TDK skiing in St Anton 23 minutes ago
- › What do you take when resort skiing? 25 minutes ago
- › Accessing the Powder Highway from Calgary 55 minutes ago
- › Ski Powder Highway 1 hour, 7 minutes ago
- › Big Sky 2016-2017 1 hour, 9 minutes ago
- › Help me analyse some of my turns? 1 hour, 10 minutes ago
- › Big Bear 2016-2017 1 hour, 25 minutes ago
- › FS Savory 7 2014, 177 cm 1 hour, 34 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer