EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Adjustable Bindings - Does Boot Size Change Ski Response?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Adjustable Bindings - Does Boot Size Change Ski Response?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

I was messing around with a couple of different versions of Kastle's KTI (Marker) adjustable bindings the other day, and was comparing my wife's LX82's with mine side by side.  The bindings are mounted the exact same (both K12's), but her toe mount is further to the rear of the ski because her foot and boot are smaller.  

 

This equal adjustment of both toe and heel bindings to the center keeps any boot centered within the mount, but I read post after post here about mounting fixed bindings on a flat ski at a certain point, and from there the heel binding is mounted to accommodate for boot size.  Which got me thinking that this is very much not happening with an adjustable binding since it is moving both heel and toe.

 

So my question is whether this adjustment can create a non-optimal boot position, or does the adjustable binding create a 'properly centered' mount no matter the boot size?  

 

I understand that the experts aren't typically skiing this type of binding, and that you might say it doesn't matter for a non-expert.  However, I noticed my wife's bindings had been improperly set by REI by 10mm (285 vs. her 295 boot size) and I fixed this.  She noticed a huge change immediately in carving performance.  Now that is fixing an error, but it has me thinking that if a smaller foot always sits farther back on the ski that there could be real effects, and an adjustable binding could be left at a set point for the toe only moving the heel for boot length.

 

A shop would never do this, but a user could.  Thoughts?

post #2 of 7

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NayBreak View Post

  Thoughts?

 

 

What you're really talking about is the performance expectation difference between a boot-center mount line  and a toe-lug mount line.

post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NayBreak View Post

  Thoughts?

 

 

What you're really talking about is the performance expectation difference between a boot-center mount line  and a toe-lug mount line.


Agreed, and thanks for the terminology - so what are the expected differences...? Seems the more your foot size varies from the 'standard' boot center mount size (and what size is that..26.5?) the more you might experience undesirable effects?
post #4 of 7

I was just about to post a similar question. In my case, my ski bindings (Salomon Z12ti) is mounted flat on my skis. Recently I changed my ski boots and found that my new ski boots is some 10mm longer than my old pair (297mm vs 286mm). So I moved the heel unit to suit the new sole length and reset the forward pressure accordingly. As a result the boot's centre line does not line up with the mark on the skis any more, it is now about 10mm behind the mark on the skis.

Should I worry that this small offset will affect the behaviour of the skis?

post #5 of 7

I thought the general best practice was to mount ball-of-foot (BOF) at the desired mount point, but I'm not a binding expert.

 

Tweaking boot/binding placement fore/aft does change the performance, sometimes noticeably (either for better or worse).  Usually you hear people talking about tweaking this in cm, so an adjustment of 10mm or less is probably not very significant.

 

I would think this effect would be diminished on an adjustable rail-mount system, since at least some of the force gets transmitted down through the hard-mounted plate (or whatever gadget the particular system uses to attach the binding system to the ski).

post #6 of 7

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scavenger View Post

I was just about to post a similar question. In my case, my ski bindings (Salomon Z12ti) is mounted flat on my skis. Recently I changed my ski boots and found that my new ski boots is some 10mm longer than my old pair (297mm vs 286mm). So I moved the heel unit to suit the new sole length and reset the forward pressure accordingly. As a result the boot's centre line does not line up with the mark on the skis any more, it is now about 10mm behind the mark on the skis.

Should I worry that this small offset will affect the behaviour of the skis?

 

Have you broken the heel plates yet? If not might be worth getting a spare pair so you don't have to try to find them when they do break.

post #7 of 7

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post

 

Have you broken the heel plates yet? If not might be worth getting a spare pair so you don't have to try to find them when they do break.

 

Nothing has broken (yet). My bindings are mounted flat (not on rail) without plates. It seems there are just enough travel in the heel unit to accomodate the new sole length which is about 10mm longer.

Are heel plates easy to get broken?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Adjustable Bindings - Does Boot Size Change Ski Response?