Considering a trip this summer. The two candidates are Portillo or New Zealand. I've been to Portillo before and am inclined to return. Just wondering how the skiing in New Zealand compares to Portillo. Interested in hearing from people who have skied both.
Related Forum Threads
- Portillo, August 10-17, 2013 Last post on 1/3/15 at 1:49am in Trip Reports
- Portillo, Chile: August 2011 Last post on 10/5/11 at 4:02am in Trip Reports
- Where to ski in July besides Portillo Last post on 3/19/17 at 6:00pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Wanaka, New Zealand, late July 2016 Last post on 8/15/16 at 10:00pm in Trip Reports
- Australia / New Zealand 2016 Last post on 2/1/17 at 7:40pm in International Zone
Portillo: Open Your Mind to the Full Chilean Mountain Experience
Last edited: 5/4/13
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass OptionsLast edited: 10/24/16
- A Guide to New Zealand's Best Ski SlopesLast edited: 12/9/12
- Summer Skiing International DestinationsLast edited: 6/25/12
After seeing only two reviews, both of them from five years ago, I decided to add to Apex's reputation. If you're into skiing and don't care for the extras like shopping, cafes, restaurants,...
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
Portillo vs. New Zealandpost #1 of 54/14/12 at 10:43amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 54/14/12 at 3:33pm
I've skied several places in South America, and also had the opportunity to ski New Zealand some years ago, but unfortunately it was a very bad snow year for NZ.
IMO, skiing in South America is better than in New Zealand.
The mountains are higher, the resorts bigger and with more vertical. Also, SA usually gets more snow than NZ.
Sure SA has it's problems, dangerous mountain roads, old lifts that close frequently because of wind etc.
New Zealand is an amazing country, Queenstown area is just gorgeous! But comparing only the skiing, I'd choose SA.
If you'd already been to Portillo, maybe you should check some other places... Las Lenas, Valle Nevado, Chillan are also good options.
Cheers.post #3 of 54/14/12 at 4:45pm
I have not skied Portillo but I have skied at Valle Nevado. I have also skied in New Zealand (North & South Island) couples of time.
The skis resorts in NZ are much smaller and in my opinion fairly uninteresting. I prefer South America. If you plan to go, go to South Island and use either Queenstown or Wanaka as your base.post #4 of 54/15/12 at 12:59am
I've lived in Queenstown for 4 winters, last year I worked in Portillo instead, let's just say I'm not going back to NZ in a hurry!
That said, Queenstown is an amazing place, and I did miss the town, but I didn't miss the drive up the hill every day, the lack of snow, the crowds and the small hills. If you get good weather it can be great, but that's relatively rare.
- Portillo vs. New Zealand
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Inside leg issue and other concerns. 1 minute ago
- › Anyone had MSC (aka Regenexx) done to knee and ski'd to tell about it? 3 minutes ago
- › Is it me or the skis? 7 minutes ago
- › My 2nd annual Banff trip: March 9 – 11, 2017 9 minutes ago
- › The 2017 Oregon Ski Safari : 60 years old. 50 years of skiing... 11 minutes ago
- › Buying passes for the next N.A. season, 2017-18, don't wait until... 15 minutes ago
- › Lech am Arlberg, March 3rd-11th 21 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Utah weather, news, and chat 28 minutes ago
- › Summit County 4/11-13 36 minutes ago
- › 2016 / 17 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke 57 minutes ago
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview