Considering a trip this summer. The two candidates are Portillo or New Zealand. I've been to Portillo before and am inclined to return. Just wondering how the skiing in New Zealand compares to Portillo. Interested in hearing from people who have skied both.
Related Forum Threads
- Portillo, August 10-17, 2013 Last post on 1/3/15 at 1:49am in Trip Reports
- Portillo, Chile: August 2011 Last post on 10/5/11 at 4:02am in Trip Reports
- Wanaka, New Zealand, late July 2016 Last post on 8/15/16 at 10:00pm in Trip Reports
- Australia / New Zealand 2016 Last post on 10/22/16 at 5:56pm in International Zone
- Ski Chile 2016 Last post on 10/7/16 at 9:21am in International Zone
Portillo: Open Your Mind to the Full Chilean Mountain Experience
Last edited: 5/4/13
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass OptionsLast edited: 10/24/16
- A Guide to New Zealand's Best Ski SlopesLast edited: 12/9/12
- Summer Skiing International DestinationsLast edited: 6/25/12
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Portillo vs. New Zealandpost #1 of 54/14/12 at 10:43amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 54/14/12 at 3:33pm
I've skied several places in South America, and also had the opportunity to ski New Zealand some years ago, but unfortunately it was a very bad snow year for NZ.
IMO, skiing in South America is better than in New Zealand.
The mountains are higher, the resorts bigger and with more vertical. Also, SA usually gets more snow than NZ.
Sure SA has it's problems, dangerous mountain roads, old lifts that close frequently because of wind etc.
New Zealand is an amazing country, Queenstown area is just gorgeous! But comparing only the skiing, I'd choose SA.
If you'd already been to Portillo, maybe you should check some other places... Las Lenas, Valle Nevado, Chillan are also good options.
Cheers.post #3 of 54/14/12 at 4:45pm
I have not skied Portillo but I have skied at Valle Nevado. I have also skied in New Zealand (North & South Island) couples of time.
The skis resorts in NZ are much smaller and in my opinion fairly uninteresting. I prefer South America. If you plan to go, go to South Island and use either Queenstown or Wanaka as your base.post #4 of 54/15/12 at 12:59am
I've lived in Queenstown for 4 winters, last year I worked in Portillo instead, let's just say I'm not going back to NZ in a hurry!
That said, Queenstown is an amazing place, and I did miss the town, but I didn't miss the drive up the hill every day, the lack of snow, the crowds and the small hills. If you get good weather it can be great, but that's relatively rare.
- Portillo vs. New Zealand
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › JH vs Keystone 12 seconds ago
- › Kids Group vs Semi-Private Lesson 4 minutes ago
- › Boutique Vs Big Brands: Which do you prefer? 5 minutes ago
- › Basic entry level poles? 7 minutes ago
- › Bode News 7 minutes ago
- › NYC Gathering in the city, before the snow starts [Nov. 3] 10 minutes ago
- › Best ski location on the east coast??? 10 minutes ago
- › Two new lifts at Powder Mountain? 15 minutes ago
- › FS: Hestra Heli Gloves, Black, Size 8 - Brand New $95 shipped to... 20 minutes ago
- › "The only people who want to carve any more..." 27 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer