Considering a trip this summer. The two candidates are Portillo or New Zealand. I've been to Portillo before and am inclined to return. Just wondering how the skiing in New Zealand compares to Portillo. Interested in hearing from people who have skied both.
Related Forum Threads
- Portillo, Chile: August 2011 Last post on 10/5/11 at 4:02am in Trip Reports
- Skiing in Portillo, Chile - anyone? Last post on 5/6/13 at 12:44pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Working at a Ski Resort in New Zealand? Last post on 4/28/13 at 4:10pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Skiing in South America Last post on 3/8/13 at 10:07am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- What we did (or are doing) on our summer vacation Last post on 10/26/12 at 3:51pm in Trip Reports
Portillo: Open Your Mind to the Full Chilean Mountain Experience
Edited on 5/4/13
- A Guide to New Zealand's Best Ski SlopesEdited on 12/9/12
- Summer Skiing International DestinationsEdited on 6/25/12
Overall, very impressive and helpful. So long as there is line-of-sight positioning, they worked great. Even in the trees or with slight line-of-sight obstruction, there was good communication...
In March of ‘12, DSJ got a call from Tom Tanner, manager at Ski Pro Mesa/Tempe, AZ asking whether myself and my wife Karen would like to be part of a promo trip to Red Mountain Resort, BC. After...
My biggest caution: I don't know how on earth they are measuring these things. A 183 barely measures 180. I would have purchased a longer pair online had I known this. But this is the only...
I got these (184's) on the cheap from an experienced 6ft plus 190 lb. plus powderhound in his late 40's who was looking for a one ski quiver and this was not his ski. I think it might have been...
For dependable snow coverage, you can't beat Snow Summit. Summit is actually half of Big Bear Mountain Resorts so the pass includes Bear Mountain which makes the resort larger than it appears at...
Portillo vs. New Zealandpost #1 of 54/14/12 at 10:43amThread Starterpost #2 of 54/14/12 at 3:33pm
I've skied several places in South America, and also had the opportunity to ski New Zealand some years ago, but unfortunately it was a very bad snow year for NZ.
IMO, skiing in South America is better than in New Zealand.
The mountains are higher, the resorts bigger and with more vertical. Also, SA usually gets more snow than NZ.
Sure SA has it's problems, dangerous mountain roads, old lifts that close frequently because of wind etc.
New Zealand is an amazing country, Queenstown area is just gorgeous! But comparing only the skiing, I'd choose SA.
If you'd already been to Portillo, maybe you should check some other places... Las Lenas, Valle Nevado, Chillan are also good options.
Cheers.post #3 of 54/14/12 at 4:45pm
I have not skied Portillo but I have skied at Valle Nevado. I have also skied in New Zealand (North & South Island) couples of time.
The skis resorts in NZ are much smaller and in my opinion fairly uninteresting. I prefer South America. If you plan to go, go to South Island and use either Queenstown or Wanaka as your base.post #4 of 54/15/12 at 12:59am
I've lived in Queenstown for 4 winters, last year I worked in Portillo instead, let's just say I'm not going back to NZ in a hurry!
That said, Queenstown is an amazing place, and I did miss the town, but I didn't miss the drive up the hill every day, the lack of snow, the crowds and the small hills. If you get good weather it can be great, but that's relatively rare.
- Portillo vs. New Zealand
- A Guide to New Zealand's Best Ski Slopes
- › Who Would You Rather Relax In A Hot Tub With After Skiing? Hillary... 13 seconds ago
- › How do you teach femur rotation? 5 minutes ago
- › Can I get certified? 6 minutes ago
- › How would you define an intermediate or advanced skiier? 7 minutes ago
- › Preview: 2013 Dalbello Krypton KR Two 11 minutes ago
- › Memorial Day Weekend -- Who's Still Skiing? 34 minutes ago
- › Quadriceps Tendon Rupture, Repair and Rehab 34 minutes ago
- › Summer skiing for solid beginner 35 minutes ago
- › Are REI and BC.com killing the snowsports industry? 39 minutes ago
- › Staying Forward - Racers 43 minutes ago
- › UClear HBC220 Snow Bluetooth by GoldMember
- › Red Mountain Resort by Fritzski
- › 2011 Volkl Racetiger GS World Cup Ski by Nick Z Taos
- › 2007 Volkl AC40 Ski by Nick Z Taos
- › Snow Summit by mustski
- › Silverton Mountain by Fritzski
- › Kitzbühel by RichardW1995
- › Mt. Bachelor by Fritzski
- › 2012 FlyLow Gear Chemical M Pant by Fritzski
- › 2012 FlyLow Gear Higgins M Jacket by Fritzski
- › Taos Grades High in Geography by nolo
- › Great Glades Almighty! by nolo
- › Ski Racing Basics by nolo
- › Portillo: Open Your Mind to the Full Chilean... by nolo
- › Join EpicSki and Get Into Skiing! by Laurel Hill Crazie
- › Innovations in Design at the 2013 SIA SNOW Show by nolo
- › 2014 Rossignol Soul 7 Skis Review by mmckay
- › Tornik, Serbia by Ledeni Finac
- › Hot Dog...Return of Bobbie Burns and The Ski by Philpug
- › What's New with the Fischer Vacuum Boot... by nolo