EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Head mounting plate failures
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Head mounting plate failures

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

Hi all, i ski Head Titans, Speeds and previously Magnums and have had the two most forward toe piece screws pull out from the injection moulded plate that mounts to the ski. This has happened THREE times now and i wanted to see if anyone else had similar issues before i bring it up again with Head. I also have WC RD SL with the race plate and have no problems

 

most recently a pair of titans with three weeks use on them, the toe piece screws pulled completely out. There doesnt appear to be enough material on the plate the hold the screws in securely .

 

For reference i am 6'4" 99kg with long feet (334mm boots) 

 

post #2 of 7

I have about 10 of these plates and I've never had a single problem.  Some of my plates have hundreds of ski days on them.  I have no idea why you're having these problems and I've never heard of anyone else having problems with these plates.

post #3 of 7

Sounds like a binding installation error (over torqued screws) to me.

post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post

Sounds like a binding installation error (over torqued screws) to me.



That sounds right.  You don't have to completely strip the threads, just torque them a little too much and thereby weaken them; they will still hold for a while until you add some more stress when you use the ski.  Remember, you only have to torque the mounting screws enough to keep them from unscrewing themselves; you don't have to match the force that will be pulling on them.

post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 

could be over torque but i was conscious of this after the first instance. the threads didnt strip on initial installation but (in this last instance) over the course of a weeks skiing, I was demoing a lot of for aft movement and putting a lot of force on the front and rear screws. 

 

The front two pulled out about a 1/4" and rather than looking like the screws rotated out the whole plate material was pulled out

 

after the previous problems i had installed the bindings and then removed screws and added epoxy resin to stiffen things up, this worked on a previous set of skis but i didnt want to do this on this latest set.

 

was going to buy a torque screwdriver but was told to turn up until they bite and then a 1/8 further turn to torque up correctly.

 

i only bring this up as i have had this a couple times now.

post #6 of 7

That last post reminded me that I should point out that:

 

1. I do my own mounts

2. I have never used any kind of glue when mounting into a Tyrolia or Head plate.

 

post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 

Noodler, the glue was a last resort field repair, but did work... 

 

sounds like i am over torquing, will shift the bindings back one set of holes and try again.... thanks guys

 

ps having had the plate off there isnt a whole lot of material on the moulded boss surrounding the pilot hole that you screw into... looks quite weak structurally to me.. 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Head mounting plate failures