EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Technica Inferno 130 vs 110
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Technica Inferno 130 vs 110

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

My 3 year old Dragon 120s are packing out and after trying some Langes and Solomons and Nordicas I'm back to Technica.  They just fit my feet.  

 

I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Inferno 130 and 110.  But the only two I can find are in different shops and I can't compare them directly.  Both are pretty good deals.  Here are my questions:

 

1. Are the liners the same in the 110 and 130?

 

2. Are the only differences (other than flex) the "power chassis" in the 130 souls and the slightly different velcro straps?  Does the power chassis hurt the soft snow experience?

 

3. If the flex is truly adjustable then could I increase the 110 to 120 or decrease the 130 to a 120?  Will there be a performance difference between these 2 options?

 

4. I only weigh 145 lbs but have been happy with the flex of the Dragon 120.  Am I crazy to get the 130? I'm assuming that the flex truly is adjustable if I found them too stiff.

 

5. Anyone with experience skiing these boots want to comment on how they've performed, how warm, how they packed out, etc...?

 

By the way I'm aware I'm moving to a smaller last, which is a definite bonus.

 

Thanks!

post #2 of 8

I've been skiing the Inferno R 130 for the past couple of years.  Racing and then coaching in them before I switched to AT boots.  I have no experience with the 110 but Ill do what I can to help.

 

1. Do you want the Inferno or the Inferno R?  The Inferno R is the lace up version and does not have the soft white plastic.  It is the more serious race boot, has more consistent flex pattern and is better to work with, according to my boot fitter.

 

Mine have had alot of work put into them, ankles ground, sanded footboard, no footbeds, blown/ground out to fit my 110mm wide feet.  Personally I could not get this boot on before any work was done, it is a very tight fit.  With all of these mods and lace up liners mine were bitterly cold and I've got frostbite several times from them.  In comparison my Nordica Hell and Hike EXP's are toasters.

 

Performance wise they are great.  You feel very close and connected to the snow.  Compared to Tecnicas older race boot (Diablo?) they stand taller and have a higher cuff.  The power strap system is great and IMO superior to a velcro strap.  The smaller buckles and buckle guards are great and prevent them from breaking all the time like other boots tend to do.  The lace ups did not pack out very much, and the fit I had when they where new is very similar to how they are now.

 

As far as I know you can pop out the rivets in the back to adjust the flex, but have never done it. Obviously mine have been very customized and are colder due to having less material.  Hope some of this helps. 

post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the reply.  I'm looking at the regular Inferno 130, not the R130 which is a plug race boot.  The regular 130 has a wider last and fit my feet pretty well right out of the box.  Probably wouldn't need too much work done.

post #4 of 8

You seem pretty happy with your current boots, so why don't you just get a new liner?  You can pick up an Intuition liner for much less than the price of a a new boot and it's likely that you'll get a performance and comfort boost even over your old boot when new.

post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirustler View Post

My 3 year old Dragon 120s are packing out and after trying some Langes and Solomons and Nordicas I'm back to Technica.  They just fit my feet.  

 

I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Inferno 130 and 110.  But the only two I can find are in different shops and I can't compare them directly.  Both are pretty good deals.  Here are my questions:

 

1. Are the liners the same in the 110 and 130?

 

2. Are the only differences (other than flex) the "power chassis" in the 130 souls and the slightly different velcro straps?  Does the power chassis hurt the soft snow experience?

 

3. If the flex is truly adjustable then could I increase the 110 to 120 or decrease the 130 to a 120?  Will there be a performance difference between these 2 options?

 

4. I only weigh 145 lbs but have been happy with the flex of the Dragon 120.  Am I crazy to get the 130? I'm assuming that the flex truly is adjustable if I found them too stiff.

 

5. Anyone with experience skiing these boots want to comment on how they've performed, how warm, how they packed out, etc...?

 

By the way I'm aware I'm moving to a smaller last, which is a definite bonus.

 

Thanks!


1. Internal padding is the same however the material they use externally on the liner is firmer on the 130 than the 110. 130 will feel slightly tighter, mostly in the toe box.

2. Nope. 130 uses stiffer plastic than the 110.

3. You can't increase the flex of the 110 without having a boot fitter add additional rivets. You can take the rivets out of the 130 to make them slightly softer. I reccomend always keeping one rivet in. If you take a rivet out but want a softer boot an experienced bootfitter can cut the lower to make the boots softer.

4. For your weight the 110 would probably be the better boot. That is unless you are a very aggressive skier. There are a lot of other variables that come come into play when it comes to flex; Strength, aggressiveness, leg length, etc.

It is easier to make a boot softer than it is to stiffen it.

You do not need the R model.
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the quick feedback!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post

For your weight the 110 would probably be the better boot. That is unless you are a very aggressive skier. There are a lot of other variables that come come into play when it comes to flex; Strength, aggressiveness, leg length, etc.
It is easier to make a boot softer than it is to stiffen it.


I am pretty aggressive and strong for a light guy so was favoring the 130 and then decreasing its flex a bit.  But the 110 is cheaper and available closer to home so if the flex can be increased a little without screwing up the boot's fit or performance otherwise, I'd settle for the 110.

 


Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post

You seem pretty happy with your current boots, so why don't you just get a new liner?  You can pick up an Intuition liner for much less than the price of a a new boot and it's likely that you'll get a performance and comfort boost even over your old boot when new.


I considered Intuitions but the nearest dealer is 1.5 hours away at a mountain I rarely ski.  Also I can get the new boots for $400 or $450 versus $250 for Intuitions.  Seems like a  lot to throw at shells with 100+ days on them. Especially not knowing how the Intuitions will feel.  I know the new boots feel fine.

post #7 of 8

Fair enough.  Late season I'd imagine that you'd be able to pick up Intuitions for $150 or so.  I'd be more worried about new boots than liners, but if you want to get new boots, go for it!

 

Edit: Hmm seeing that post makes it sound kind of passive aggressive.  That wasn't really what I meant at all.  If you want new boots, you should go for it.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirustler View Post


Quote:


I considered Intuitions but the nearest dealer is 1.5 hours away at a mountain I rarely ski.  Also I can get the new boots for $400 or $450 versus $250 for Intuitions.  Seems like a  lot to throw at shells with 100+ days on them. Especially not knowing how the Intuitions will feel.  I know the new boots feel fine.



 

post #8 of 8

During my recent search for a new boot i tried both inferno 110 & 130. I weight 195 lbs and i am a quite aggressive skier with narrow feet (measured last 95). I found the 130 being to stiff for me even though fit was really nice.

Finally i picked up the inferno blaze 110 (all mountain series). Has the same last (i think 98mm) but with a thicker and much more comfortable liner. The thicker liner also feels more snug to the feet. Flex is adjustable too and you also get more shock absorption. If you haven't already decided you may give it a try.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Technica Inferno 130 vs 110