What's happening folks? So I'm hitting Mammoth this Saturday and it'll be my first time riding the mountain. Since I only have one day and I'm trying to make the most of it, I'm wondering if anybody's got any advice on where to ride. I'm around a level 7-8 skier.
- itemMammothtagged by System, 3/28/12
Related Forum Threads
- Mammoth Mountain for 2016-2017 Last post on 11/27/16 at 8:51am in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
- Mammoth April 23-25 Last post on 5/2/16 at 12:44pm in Trip Reports
- California Dreaming (a trip of many misfortune, but fortunately no missed opportunity) Last post on 4/4/16 at 8:49am in Trip Reports
- Mammoth Mid May Worth It? Last post on 4/29/16 at 6:07pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- California Skiing, March 17-25, 2016 Last post on 4/6/16 at 9:14am in Trip Reports
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- Mammoth Mountain, Eastern Sierra, CALast edited: 1/31/16
For any east coast skiers this is like Mad River Glen with wider slopes and big drops to jump off of along with skiing between the trees. Just an all out amazing ski area. Simple and great...
I really love this place, it doesn't have the crowds that the other places around Ottawa have, but this is a legit ski place and is one of those hidden gems that hardcore ski guys/gals love. They...
Good for high volumn, pronated feet, i.e: This is the anti-matter Lange XLR/Banshe/Comp but still very good for people with wider, flatter, lower arched feet who needed or wanted a stiffer boot....
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
- Mammoth Mountain, Eastern Sierra, CA
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Get the Mammoth iPhone app and let it track you around.
That's all I got. I usually just chase friends around. Chair 2, Chair 23, Avy Chutes, Paranoids, Cornice...
But there'll be lots more open this weekend than when I usually get there in May/June/July. Have fun.
Totally depends on conditions, particularly wind which is unfortunately in the forecast. The good thing about the wind, though, is it redeposits the snow in nice, smooth wind buff powder. Honestly, there are so many fun areas on that mountain, you sometimes just need to move around until you find your spot. I'm a level 6 probably, and there are fun runs off of every lift there for me.
If it's warmer, stay higher up. The areas around Canyon get really sticky and slushy when it's warmer. The areas around chair 9 and 25 will soften up in the morning (and usually be fun) as they face east. I think chair 25 is only spinning on weekends now, though.
Have a blast! It's an awesome mountain!
Assuming your driving, park at the Mill and go up chair 2 (Stump Alley Express) then go over to chair 3 for a few laps. If you go down the back of 3 you can take the long easy way down to Main or chair 12 to hit the back of the mountain. From the front of chair 3, ride down to McCoy/Gondi station and head to the top at around 10am. Cornice is groomed. I like to traverse out either side of Cornice as there is often wind buff deposited on the runs beside it. Lots of fun stuff off the top depending on your skilz. Ski down Cornice to chair 23 to ride it back up. Scotty's is off that chair and also groomed. I also like to go down the face of 3 to the right down Coyote to chair 5. Chair 5 has lots of fun options. Off the back of it will but you into the Eagle area. Ride up 25 for some fun blue runs or ski down the face of 5 to Canyon Lodge and take chair 22 up to ride the Avy Chutes or the face of Lincoln Mtn if your a really good skier.
So much to do there. I love that mountain. Have fun.
I was up there this past weekend and conditions are great! so pretty much go wherever you want! :)
just avoid eagle lodge most runs are beginners and they get a lot of sun during the day so it gets pretty soft/watery...
also there is the master world cup this week so if you go on chair 1 you'll be able to see some pretty good racing!
Ride Climax, Daves Run and Cornice from the Panorama Gondola.
Ride Wipeout and Drop Out Chutes, Cornice, Scotty's and Paranoids from Chair 23.
Ride Avy Chutes and through the trees on chair 22.
Ride China Bowl to Coyote to chair 5. They ride Face of Five to Wall Street.
Enjoy Patrolman's as a good alternative to stump alley.
Mammoth is by far the best ski area I have ever skied.
Enjoy the wide open skiing above the tree line.
Enjoy the steeps and chutes accessible inbounds.
Enjoy the long groomers.
- Navigating Mammoth
- › Winter tires - which model to choose ? 1 minute ago
- › New skis! [for Colorado to replace MX83] 10 minutes ago
- › The Narrower Stance? 11 minutes ago
- › POLL: The Future of Politics and Hot Topics 29 minutes ago
- › Any feedback on Fischer's The CURV? 30 minutes ago
- › Epic Discussion Starter 1 hour, 4 minutes ago
- › Calling all Minnesota Epicskiers 2016-2017 1 hour, 10 minutes ago
- › Utter beginner season rental question [older woman in the... 1 hour, 25 minutes ago
- › Whistler sure...Off to a great opening. 1 hour, 37 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . 1 hour, 55 minutes ago
- › Kirkwood Mountain Resort by Debbie Burke
- › Mont Sainte Marie by Charles J White
- › 1988 Salomon SX91 Equipe by aarrkk
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › The Ins and Outs of Proper Layering
- › 2017 Smith ChromaPop - It's Basically...
- › EpicSki Interview with Jess McMillan
- › Epic Ski Image of the Month Contest Terms and...
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis