Can someone give me an update on how Summit County is currently skiing? I've read everything from be prepared to go hiking to it's OK. Keep in mind, I live in central VT and we just went through the craziest period of weather I've ever seen. Our snow is gone, and just about every resort is either closed, closing today, or within a week of shutting down. so that is what I call really bad for this time of year. I spend a few weeks every year in April in Summit county and I've seen some less than stellar years. I know some of the steeper terrain is likely to be really thin, and some of it closed, but what about the groomers? Are they still skiing OK? I mean VT is in a LOT worse shape than CO, so that's what I've been skiing. Compared to what VT has just gone through, it has to be better right? I'm mostly talking A Basin, Breck, Keystone etc.. thx
Recent Images In This Thread
- itemArapahoe Basintagged by System, 3/25/12
- itemBeaver Creek Resorttagged by System, 3/25/12
- itemBreckenridge Ski Resorttagged by System, 3/25/12
- itemCopper Mountaintagged by System, 3/25/12
- itemKeystone Resorttagged by System, 3/25/12
- itemLoveland Ski Areatagged by System, 3/25/12
- itemVail Resorttagged by System, 3/25/12
Related Forum Threads
- Summit County Last post on 3/12/14 at 4:33pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Keystone night skiing- what do they charge? Last post on 11/5/13 at 7:50am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Help me plan my tour of Colorado ski areas! [Feb 2014] Last post on 9/21/13 at 7:46pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Denver Jan 25-27 2013, where to ski Last post on 1/18/13 at 5:31am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Moving to CO, would like season pass help Last post on 4/10/12 at 4:32pm in General Skiing Discussion
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- Colorado Spring Skiing: Don't Fear the AprilLast edited: 6/1/13
- In Praise of the Anti-ResortsLast edited: 5/28/13
- EpicSki Interview with James NiehuesLast edited: 9/14/16
- The Future of Jay Peak and Burke Mountain ResortLast edited: 6/15/16
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Current Summit County Conditions?post #1 of 143/25/12 at 7:05amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 143/25/12 at 1:13pmpost #3 of 143/25/12 at 3:47pmpost #4 of 143/25/12 at 3:53pm
some pics and info here too http://www.epicski.com/t/110780/colorado-summit-county-26-mar-06-apr#post_1448860
Having skied Breck Friday and Vail today, I thought Breck was in a bit better shape, but had fun both days...definitely getting thin in spots though with some terrain closed or close to it. Mostly stuck to the groomers, but did some slushy bumps which were fun as long as you avoided the bare spots- no damage to my skis, so a good day overall. Crowds were light.
Driving by Copper, I thought the front of the mountain looked better than Vail and at least as good as Breck- Copper has the advantage of being higher than Vail with the front mostly North facing (compared to East for much of Breck).
The last few days were as warm as I ever remember skiing in CO and the forecast does not show much good news for the next week or so http://opensnow.com/state/COpost #5 of 143/25/12 at 6:15pmI was at Winter Park today, similar to Summit elevation. Unlike last weekend, the was no following the sun for conditions management - the entire mountain was a slop fest well before noon.
We had fun, but you were getting to pointless stickiness by mid afternoon. Still freezing at night, so coverage, while dropping, is surprisingly good with this much warm weather. I wouldn't travel for it.post #6 of 143/26/12 at 3:55pmWell...your mid April bet is the one climate feature that has been giving us good snow this year, the MJO. According to NOAA, another one is coming in this timeframe.
Maybe we'll go out with a bang on the terrain that is left by then.post #7 of 143/26/12 at 5:33pm
Didn`t ski today, but there was a fire that forced the closing of Montezuma Road and Opensnow half joked that the best powder days would be in November.
I put air in the bike tires and may not have to drive down to Denver to take out the golf clubs in a bit.
I plan to hit Keystone tomorrow in the AM.post #8 of 143/27/12 at 5:57ampost #9 of 143/27/12 at 7:05ampost #10 of 143/27/12 at 7:09ampost #11 of 143/27/12 at 7:37ampost #12 of 143/27/12 at 9:16ampost #13 of 143/27/12 at 2:42pm
Keystone skied surprising well today. Stuck to the front side groomers. There are some runs that are closed, but I think they are working hard to keep the stuff that is open it decent shape all things considered.
Firm in most spots when I got there about 10, but pretty smooth. with a bit of a breeze, it didn`t seem as hot as it was over the weekend and I actually grabbed my mid weight jacket instead of my lighter one. Flatter sections of the mostly north facers started softening up first, then some of the steeper sections. Some runs were back and forth between firm and softer stuff with the only real slush being towards the bottom or the most sun exposed. Left about 1 or so. Couldn`t find the "No Straight Lining" sign on Go Devil. No pics, but I have a bit of video of Vail on Sunday that I will try to post when I get my camera back.
No signs of the Montezuma fire, but the rumor is that KS plans to open one of their golf courses early this year.post #14 of 143/27/12 at 3:52pm
I hit Loveland today for a couple of hours. Cruisers still have full cover. Steeps off of #1 are starting to thin & no snow in weeks has created some really nasty cut-off bumps. South Chutes has good cover. North Chutes & Fail Safe Chutes are 30-50% dirt. Tunnel face is dirt. Ridge still has skiable lines through rocks & dirt. Got there around 10 & a cool breeze kept most runs molar-rattling hard until well after noon. Followed the sun & got in some good runs before heading down around 1, just as north aspects were starting to soften. If current weather patterns don't change, my guess is that most will be dirt inside of a week or two.
- Current Summit County Conditions?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Colorado Spring Skiing: Don't Fear the April
- › Colorado Winter Driving...is AWD enough? 9 minutes ago
- › Painful, funny story 30 minutes ago
- › CO Man ordered to pay $260,000 in damages from skiing accident 41 minutes ago
- › GogglePal - anyone test this universal HUD yet? 55 minutes ago
- › What's your ski trip rig? Lets see some pictures! 59 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 1 hour, 7 minutes ago
- › First Time Buying Skis and Boots - Do It All Together? 1 hour, 48 minutes ago
- › 2016-2017 Four Corners (S.CO/AZ/NM) Weather Discussion 1 hour, 51 minutes ago
- › Big Bear 2016-2017 2 hours, 28 minutes ago
- › Do I need a snow tire? 2 hours, 34 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer