EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs › 70mm or 100mm size diamond stones?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

70mm or 100mm size diamond stones?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

I am considering investing in a set of diamond stones and a fixed angle edge guide for home tuning but was wondering from a functional point of view is there a difference between using 70mm size stones as opposed to 100mm size stones? I can see a 100mm stone might give more room for the clamp and be slightly more stable but does this translate to any practical difference when using them, or would a 70mm stone be just fine?

post #2 of 12
I prefer the longer diamond files. First off, they should be more stable (I haven't used the smaller myself so maybe not) but the main reason is you can run them at different angles so they should last longer.
post #3 of 12


What vsirin said!icon14.gif
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsirin View Post

I prefer the longer diamond files. First off, they should be more stable (I haven't used the smaller myself so maybe not) but the main reason is you can run them at different angles so they should last longer.


 

post #4 of 12

Put a 70 in your ski jacket pocket but keep 100 for the workbench.

post #5 of 12

For sharpening side edges, which are the only edges I sharpen, I don't see any advantage for the longer stones.  Due to the concave curve of the edge only the ends of the stone are in contact, except for the convex tip edge where only the center is in contact, so why pay more for longer stones?

post #6 of 12

I disagree, my Diaface Moonflex diamonds make contact over the whole diamond not just the ends. The 100mm has more diamonds so it cost more and last longer. I tune skis with radius from 12m-28m.

post #7 of 12

I bought a diamond stone that was just long enough to fit my 89* file holder.

post #8 of 12

Im with you!

 

I don't know what old goat is talikng about.  100mm work great and sit more solidly in the tool. Also you need the longer diamond to get the spring clip firmly holding the the diamond file.


 

In the order of things 100mm is a short particulalry compared to a 8 or 10 inched bastard file.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRS View Post

I disagree, my Diaface Moonflex diamonds make contact over the whole diamond not just the ends. The 100mm has more diamonds so it cost more and last longer. I tune skis with radius from 12m-28m.



 

post #9 of 12

I did a little experiment--I took an old 70mm diamond stone and drew a line with magic marker along one edge.  I spring clamped it to a svst 93 deg edge file guide and sharpened the edge of a Mantra.  When I looked at the stone afterwards the mark was gone only at one end, even though to the eye it looked like the stone was contacting the edge along it's entire length. Why only one end I have no idea. As far as the spring clamp holding--assuming you use one spring clamp the longer the stone the more leverage the stone applies to the clamp so the LESS secure the stone would be.  Feel free to try my experiment, or not.

post #10 of 12

Sounds like you are putting teh file parallel with the bottom of your tool, and there is the "rub (no pun intended)

 

It hosuld be a about a 45 degree angle to the plate you clip it onto.

 

Like this, but you only need to use one clip

 

 

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_S1ikMk1gL2c/SSoiICdHjyI/AAAAAAAAAKA/OiU5cvyPnbg/s400/IMG_1865.jpg

 

 

post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman View Post

Sounds like you are putting teh file parallel with the bottom of your tool, and there is the "rub (no pun intended)

 

It hosuld be a about a 45 degree angle to the plate you clip it onto.

 

Like this, but you only need to use one clip

 

 

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_S1ikMk1gL2c/SSoiICdHjyI/AAAAAAAAAKA/OiU5cvyPnbg/s400/IMG_1865.jpg

 

 


Thanks for that advice--makes sense.  

 

post #12 of 12


By the way, I found that photo on the web, I didn't take it!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post


Thanks for that advice--makes sense.  

 



 


Edited by Atomicman - 3/31/12 at 10:31am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs › 70mm or 100mm size diamond stones?