or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go › 2013 EpicSki Gathering: Big Sky Montana!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2013 EpicSki Gathering: Big Sky Montana! - Page 22

post #631 of 667

Notice one guys carrying one ski in each hand. It's not the Highlands Bowl hike.

(I hope Rio comes on to confirm this is the A-Z hike btw, I'm 90% sure. That building in the background I don't recognize)

 

Anyway, Aren't you in the TAHOE! Oh, that's right, there's no room for a pack since they are bringing 40 pairs of skis.smile.gif

 

Option le deuxieme:

 

http://braveskimom.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/IMG_3413.jpghttp://braveskimom.com/the-yin-and-yang-of-aspen-part-one-aspen-highlands
 

post #632 of 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

Anyway, Aren't you in the TAHOE! Oh, that's right, there's no room for a pack since they are bringing 40 pairs of skis.smile.gif

 

Haha - plenty of demo skis to go around so no complaints from me.  Phil is wisely bringing some Vagabond demo's so I won't try to steal his since we have a similar BSL.  :-)  "Do you mind if I take your new skis down Big?  The coverage doesn't look so bad."

 

Sorry to hear you couldn't join us.

post #633 of 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

Notice one guys carrying one ski in each hand. It's not the Highlands Bowl hike.

(I hope Rio comes on to confirm this is the A-Z hike btw, I'm 90% sure. That building in the background I don't recognize)

 

 

Can't be A-Z. There are trees around. To do A to Z you start at the top of Challenger well above the treeline. There are a dozen or so chutes on both sides. You can do the first few with skis on shoulder but the further you go the more you'll want a pack. Here is a good video to watch to get an idea of the hike. The winds have not been nice this year to expect the hike to be rockier.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1LlvwF-y9Q

post #634 of 667
Sheesh, Phil and TC are bringing 10-13 pairs of skis!eek.gif I thought I might be overdoing it by bringing three pair that cover 84-110mm. I could bring four and then my skinny end would be 68.biggrin.gif
post #635 of 667

dammit Tog, you should be coming to the Gathering!!!

post #636 of 667

You will want to be able to strap them to a pack.

 

And the hike is no different this year than others except that we have done quite a bit of work to make it easier this season.

 

And to state the obvious, you must have a MLB pass to ski any terrain other than Cold spring, Alder gulch and Headwaters bowl.

post #637 of 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

dammit Tog, you should be coming to the Gathering!!!

 

I know, it's very depressing. Well at least there's snow in Vt.

Will you be putting JayT on the roof of the Tahoe so there's room for the dog and your skis? I assume your not pulling a Romney. It's simpler to put him up there since no groups will protest and you'll feel good treating Ziggy and the skis right. A case of beer and a blanket should keep him quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio View Post

Can't be A-Z. There are trees around. To do A to Z you start at the top of Challenger well above the treeline. There are a dozen or so chutes on both sides. You can do the first few with skis on shoulder but the further you go the more you'll want a pack. Here is a good video to watch to get an idea of the hike. The winds have not been nice this year to expect the hike to be rockier.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1LlvwF-y9Q


Hehe...no that picture is for the ski straps, it's Aspen Highlands Bowl. It was this one:

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tog View Post

Not Bad.

A to Z Chute Hike from Challenger Lift:

 

Photo Patrick Rooney                                               http://www.flickr.com/photos/prooney/4400063286/

 

Then there's this awesome panaramic shot from the top of the hike: (click on photo or link for bigger view)

 

Photo Patrick Rooney                                                                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/prooney/4400063266/in/photostream/lightbox/

 

Found this video which shows part of the hike with low snow.

Also a great Cult tune.

 

http://youtu.be/vj459d2jecM

post #638 of 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

 

I know, it's very depressing. Well at least there's snow in Vt.

Will you be putting JayT on the roof of the Tahoe so there's room for the dog and your skis? I assume your not pulling a Romney. It's simpler to put him up there since no groups will protest and you'll feel good treating Ziggy and the skis right. A case of beer and a blanket should keep him quiet.

 

Ziggy will be hanging out at Higgins' house.  I can imagine that he'll be chillin' and getting fat on whatever Haynes cooks for the dogs.  Yes!  She spoils them that much.  

 

JayT may wish he is in the Yak at some point.

biggrin.gif

post #639 of 667

I'm okay with the beer part, not so sure about the box top part.

post #640 of 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post


JayT may wish he is in the Yak at some point.
biggrin.gif
Well here's a perfect way to haul more stuff in the car. You could even use the Yak box on top with this. JayT would have the luxury penthouse on top. By using the sunroof you could even pass him snacks. You should use some stought tie downs as a seatbelt. Safety first!

Roof top passenger solution.

(Creative Swedish Rednecks)
post #641 of 667
Big Sky tram is fixed...
post #642 of 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

Roof top passenger solution.

(Creative Swedish Rednecks)

 

Why do I know that song???

post #643 of 667

Maybe because of this??

 

http://youtu.be/5Kq6w-McPHk

 

Here's the original by Plastic Bertrand:  http://youtu.be/v98HEQvtpgo

I guess that was 1978. Little did we know how much it presaged the '80's.

post #644 of 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

Maybe because of this??

 

http://youtu.be/5Kq6w-McPHk

 

Here's the original by Plastic Bertrand:  http://youtu.be/v98HEQvtpgo

I guess that was 1978. Little did we know how much it presaged the '80's.

No, something else. I guess it's just memorable.

post #645 of 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolo View Post

Big Sky tram is fixed...

icon14.gif

post #646 of 667
Cluster of a travel day today. Travel via dia was hosed due to the storm. Of the three in my rental car, I was the only one to make it to bzn tonight. Jimmy now arrives late Sunday, Marigee Monday am. I think. I arrived to Dulles airport 2 hours in advance and barely made my plane due to the most complicated ticket scheme imaginable. United does not handle one offs well... Plus the fockers at tsa unpacked my entire ski bag and repacked it in the most destructive way possible; ski poles against ski edges, padding at the ends removed, etc. Amazingly, looks like they did repacked all items.

With all this snow causing travel probs, the two old guys in Jackson Hole (GS and LP) better have some good pow tales to tell.
post #647 of 667

^^^^^^  That's the thing about ski trips.  You want the snow to make the skiing great, but obviously the snow makes the traveling part suck.  There's a lot of things we cannot "time" in life and when the snow falls for our skiing vacations is right up there. wink.gif

post #648 of 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodler View Post

^^^^^^  That's the thing about ski trips.  You want the snow to make the skiing great, but obviously the snow makes the traveling part suck.  There's a lot of things we cannot "time" in life and when the snow falls for our skiing vacations is right up there. wink.gif

 

 

Isn't that the truth.  I've had my share of travel fiasco's on ski trips that mostly involved having to bail a day or two early because of coming airport closure's.  The other side of that is the pure luck I've had on this trip with all of the driving being done on good roads and the snow starting to fall just as I arrived at my destination.

 

Ran into Bumpfreaq in the hotel breakfast areacool.gif About an inch on the ground here in Bozeman this morning and I'm out the door to Bridger.

post #649 of 667
At the moment we are contemplating putting Phil in the Yak .... Just sayin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

Ziggy will be hanging out at Higgins' house.  I can imagine that he'll be chillin' and getting fat on whatever Haynes cooks for the dogs.  Yes!  She spoils them that much.  

JayT may wish he is in the Yak at some point.
biggrin.gif
post #650 of 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

Ziggy will be hanging out at Higgins' house. 

biggrin.gif

Higgins is great with dogs!

 

post #651 of 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

At the moment we are contemplating putting Phil in the Yak .... Just sayin

(Gave up on the tablet, lets try this again from the laptop...Hmmm.. embedded still won't play)

http://youtu.be/viG9I5MrK7Y?t=16s


Edited by mdf - 3/24/13 at 7:39pm
post #652 of 667

screenshot from the vid

post #653 of 667

Well the USA versus Costa Rica Wcup qualifier in Denver was a total snow fest. They played with a yellow ball. Costa Rica protested (not because they won), that the game should have been postponed. Now the US goes to the even higher altitude smog pit in Mexico City.

The news was also filled with the carnage and mayhem of trucks exploding and people stuck on the interstate. The monstrous weather is supposed to sweep east even dumping on DC.

 

By the end of the game, there was no green turf to be seen

Dustin Bradford/Getty Images

 

Geoff Cameron of the US helps push the snow off the field

Dustin Bradford/Getty Images

post #654 of 667

Wow, good bad thing the Gathering isn't in somewhere near Denver this year.

post #655 of 667

hope its good there too! Just spent last 2 days in foot plus untracked......  Its -7* here in Steamboat, its looking and feeling more like Mid-February! 

post #656 of 667

Hope everyone is having a good day at Bridger. It's cold and clear here in Big Sky with plenty of snow and a good forecast. See you guys Tuesday.

post #657 of 667

Vermont is fabulous. 25-45degrees, great snow.

It's better than Montana...it's better than Montana....it's better than Montana....it's better than Montana....it's better than Montana....it's better than Montana....it's better than Montana....

really.

well I'm trying
 

post #658 of 667

You keep telling yourself that. 

biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

Vermont is fabulous. 25-45degrees, great snow.

It's better than Montana...it's better than Montana....it's better than Montana....it's better than Montana....it's better than Montana....it's better than Montana....it's better than Montana....

really.

well I'm trying
 

post #659 of 667

OK so where are the pic's and vid from the Gathering?

post #660 of 667
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go › 2013 EpicSki Gathering: Big Sky Montana!