or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go › 2013 EpicSki Gathering: Big Sky Montana!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2013 EpicSki Gathering: Big Sky Montana! - Page 13

post #361 of 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

Uhhh... Bozeman's not that close to Big Sky.  An hour away?   Unless I'm missing your intent, you're not going to want to be commuting back and forth to Bozeman.

I just checked the map, yup I won't be commuting to and from Bozeman in my truck camper. Assuming that there is a decent size village at Big Sky, then there is likely an industrial park or warehouse area that I will be searching for.

post #362 of 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoT View Post

I just checked the map, yup I won't be commuting to and from Bozeman in my truck camper. Assuming that there is a decent size village at Big Sky, then there is likely an industrial park or warehouse area that I will be searching for.

Nothing like an industrial park near Big Sky that I could see.  The road in the valley is essentially for tourists and ranchers.  Total population by census is about 1200.  From Wikipedia: "This unincorporated community straddles the two counties, is not considered a town, and has no town government. The primary industry of the area is tourism."

 

Sooner or later the Big Sky locals will answer your question.

post #363 of 667

I will bet if we keep it very low key and don't tailgate bbq or put out the lawn chairs no one will notice or mind if we park near the service entrances of a restaurant.  Worst case is we have to play musical parking places?

post #364 of 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud heishman View Post

I will bet if we keep it very low key and don't tailgate bbq or put out the lawn chairs no one will notice or mind if we park near the service entrances of a restaurant.  Worst case is we have to play musical parking places?

 

There's something a bit Aspen Extreme about this post...

post #365 of 667

Hey I am a ski bum!  I remember in High School we would take a road trip to ski a weekend in NY or VT and cruise into a hotel lobby late at night and say we were waiting for our parents to arrive to get us a room and just crash on the sofas in the lobby to save money.  Some times this included a free breakfast buffet if we were lucky!  Just sayin...

post #366 of 667

It's not an official RV lot but I'm told that you can park in the day skier parking lot and will not be run off as long as you behave yourself biggrin.gif .

post #367 of 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveturner View Post

It's not an official RV lot but I'm told that you can park in the day skier parking lot and will not be run off as long as you behave yourself biggrin.gif .

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good place to start. Maybe I should get a sign, "I gladly move for snow plows".

post #368 of 667

For those who are thinking of joining the fun at the Gathering, there is info and discussion about lodging that isn't on wheels in the EpicSki Group set up by the Gathermeister.  About 45 people have joined so far and the snow hasn't started to fly in Big Sky . . . yet.

 

http://www.epicski.com/groups/show/16/2013-epicski-gathering-big-sky-bridger-bowl-moonlight-basin-montana

post #369 of 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post

For those who are thinking of joining the fun at the Gathering, there is info and discussion about lodging that isn't on wheels in the EpicSki Group set up by the Gathermeister.  About 45 people have joined so far and the snow hasn't started to fly in Big Sky . . . yet.

 

http://www.epicski.com/groups/show/16/2013-epicski-gathering-big-sky-bridger-bowl-moonlight-basin-montana

Nice post and a reminder to everyone thinking about it. 

 

The EpicSki Groups was a great tool for lift ticket and other info last year when we did the Tahoe gathering.  

Groups is worthwhile to join and you'll get messages if something special comes up. 

post #370 of 667

Saw this on Big Sky's facebook wall........

 

With the arrival of our first snow this season, this moose is on his way to Basecamp to purchase his $49 Frequent Sky Card before the September 30th deadline.

 

post #371 of 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

Beyond, any chance of revisiting with the gang next season?  I'm guessing you'd have a great time and it would be great to meet you face to face!

 

Just checked back on this thread after 6 months. redface.gif Great site, would really like to meet a lot of the people here, only issue is work. Might be able to get out for 28th-29th. Earlier prolly not a starter. 

 

Wow, if I did maybe I could justify buying some new skis! biggrin.gif

post #372 of 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

Saw this on Big Sky's facebook wall........

 

With the arrival of our first snow this season, this moose is on his way to Basecamp to purchase his $49 Frequent Sky Card before the September 30th deadline.

 

 

Yeah, right. Anyone that's stayed at Big Sky has seen that one before. Most likely the moose is sheepishly trying to sneak back into the Huntley after drinking too much at the Black Bear the night before.

post #373 of 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post

Just checked back on this thread after 6 months. redface.gif Great site, would really like to meet a lot of the people here, only issue is work. Might be able to get out for 28th-29th. Earlier prolly not a starter. 

 

Wow, if I did maybe I could justify buying some new skis! biggrin.gif

That pesky work gets in the way, eh? 

 

Would love it if you can make it out. 

 

Rio........You speak as if you've witnessed such a moose action in the past, .......or perhaps some Bear Action. 

post #374 of 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

Rio........You speak as if you've witnessed such a moose action in the past, .......or perhaps some Bear Action. 

It wasn't any Bear action. The company I work for used to have its annual customer meeting at Big Sky and its amazing how poor nerds are at drinking at 7,000 feet.

post #375 of 667

Big Sky posted this video today, titled Early October Snowfall..........

Its only a teaser, but it sure looks pleasant.......

Ahhhhhh

post #376 of 667
Why don't you ask whether they allow overnight camper parking anywhere on the Big Sky property: email to info@bigskyresort.com

When I worked for Boyne in Michigan, they had lots where such uses were allowed.
post #377 of 667

A picture of the Bridgers taken from my house this morning. The blue dots designate the Bridger Bowl boundaries. (Bridger Bowl is on the other side.)

 

 

post #378 of 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio View Post

A picture of the Bridgers taken from my house this morning. The blue dots designate the Bridger Bowl boundaries. (Bridger Bowl is on the other side.)

 

 

Nice view!  Bridger website says Dec. 7 is the projected opening date.  In general, website looks like it's been updated for 2012-13.  smile.gif

post #379 of 667

Are you ready to order discounted lift tickets for the Gathering yet?  You have until March 1, 2013.  That's a firm deadline.  

 

http://www.epicski.com/t/114324/lift-tickets-available-for-purchase-here

 

The announcement is in the EpicSki Group about the Big Sky/Bridger/Moonlight Basin Gathering March 25-29, 2013.  Possible to get discounted tickets for Big Sky a few days before and after.

post #380 of 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio View Post

A picture of the Bridgers taken from my house this morning. The blue dots designate the Bridger Bowl boundaries. (Bridger Bowl is on the other side.)

 

 

Did you move?

post #381 of 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

Did you move?

Nope, just needed to step out back to get the picture.

post #382 of 667

Michel and I are in for this get togethercool.gif  Hopefully Schlasman's terrain will be a little softer than last time I was there.  Looking forward to seeing folks we know and meeting new onessmile.gif

post #383 of 667

I commuted from Boise to Red Lodge, and Billings, for 2.5 years in a honda Front WD, sometimes with studs and never had an issue. Boise, Twin , Pocatello, Idaho falls, hit the 21 pass sugar city, west yellowstone hang a left, and you'll get to the big sky turn off after a while.  I'll be looking for lodging a few nights at the resort and I'll hang in bozeman a few nights.  That's not a bad drive if you get an early start to beat the traffic.  about 7 hours from boise

post #384 of 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbumps View Post

I'll be looking for lodging a few nights at the resort and I'll hang in bozeman a few nights. 

Have you joined the Group for the Big Sky Gathering?  That's where the Lodging thread can be found.  I think you have to join the Group before you can post there.  Almost 60 people already.  Hopefully most will figure out how to make it.

 

http://www.epicski.com/t/112082/lodging

 

Here are the special rates that the Gathermeister worked out with Big Sky.  Can be extended past March 28.  Have to call Big Sky reservations and mention the EpicSki Gathering to make arrangements.

 

 

March 23-28, 2013
 
HUNTLEY LODGE
guests per room            1           2          3          4          5          6
First Class(2 queens)   $140    165     190     215
Mtn. View (2 queens)    $150    175     200     225
Loft (3 queens)             $167    192     217     242     267     292
 
STILLWATER CONDOMINIUMS
Studio          (sleeps 2)      $127
1-bedroom        (sleeps 4-6)    $165
1-bedroom loft  (sleeps 4-6)    $214
2-bedroom       (sleeps 4-6)    $224
 
BIG HORN CONDOMINUMS
2-bedroom       (2-6 guests)    $285
3-bedroom       (4-8 guests)    $327
 
Lodging rates do not include 17% tax/service.  Huntley rate includes massive complimentary breakfast buffet.  
post #385 of 667

I've never been to a Gathering but would like to go.  A couple of questions:

-Do you think using AA frequent flyer miles is viable?  LAX to Seattle or Portland on American, SEA/PDX to Bozeman on their partner Alaska. 

-What should I plan to spend for lodging if a group condo opportunity presents itself?  That's my preferred lodging (condo over hotel).  I know only a couple of peeps (BEARS) on Epic, & I'm planning for me & my beau.  Actually, that's a 3rd question:  how easy to join up with a group for sharing a condo?

 

Great deal on lift tickets, great mountain.  Hope to go!

-Vicki

post #386 of 667

Vicki, the best way to organize a condo will be to join the 2013 EpicSki Gathering Group, then post a thread in the group's forum.  That is where many of the connections and organization will happen.  Be sure to subscribe to the group feed if you want to receive notification of new posts and threads for that group.  Unlike the forums, the threads in that Group are all dedicated to the organization of the gathering, and it's the best way to hook up.  How much it will cost will depend on the specific accommodations and how many ways it is divided.  Keep your eye out for good airfares, and Alaska Airlines is running some very good specials now.

post #387 of 667

Vicki -

 

I don't believe Alaska has direct flights to Bozeman from Portland but they do have two flights daily from Seattle to Bozeman. 

post #388 of 667

I'm going to be living in Big Sky starting this winter and working for the resort. I'd be greatly honored to be included in the group. I can help out a few people with discounted lift tickets, possibly lodging, and more? I'd be willing to use my employee privileges to help some people out if need be. 

post #389 of 667

Thanks for the feedback.  I've joined the Group for this topic.  Hope I can make it!  Until then may it ... snowfalling.gif

post #390 of 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIskier13 View Post

I'm going to be living in Big Sky starting this winter and working for the resort. I'd be greatly honored to be included in the group. I can help out a few people with discounted lift tickets, possibly lodging, and more? I'd be willing to use my employee privileges to help some people out if need be. 

Certainly will be fun meeting more locals.

 

As for lift tickets, the Gathering Gathermeister has taken care of that already.  Folks who pre-pay before March 1 get the following rates:

 

 

Big Sky Ticket, per day March 22-April 1: $53 ($89)

Bridger Bowl Ticket for March 25: $41 ($49)

Moonlight Basin Ticket for March 27: $51 ($64)

 

http://www.epicski.com/t/112030/lift-tickets

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go › 2013 EpicSki Gathering: Big Sky Montana!