So, my son will be in high school in the fall. (I remember taking him skiing for the first time to a bunny hill on a very, very cold day when he was ~5. That day was so cold, there were very few on the snow with us. We were both hot and sweaty after a few minutes, from all the falling, getting up, helping him get up, etc. Fast forward 8 years, he is a much better skier than I ever was or will be, especially after racing with a local mountain team for the past 4 years. I can't believe how fast time flew but I'm so glad he enjoys skiing as much as he does. But, I digress...)
The high school my son will be going to does not have a ski team. All the surrounding towns do. For obviously reasons, other schools are not thrilled about having other towns joining them. So, my son is very keen on wanting to have his own school team, and obviously I like to help/drive the cause. There are several families interested in joining the forces, but no one really knows what's involved. If you have experience in starting a school team (ski racing or not), I'd love to hear your comments and suggestions.
So far, we just have names of kids, ~7, that are interested. I suspect it'll grow to a dozen+ or so once we spread the word, maybe more, not sure. We need to talk with the HS athletic director, we do not have a coach yet. We are in Massachusetts, US.
In general, I'm trying to understand what the school's concerns/hesitation would be. Obviously, if we just knock on the door and ask them to start a ski team, that won't go too well. If you can help me understand issues associated with the following, that'd be very, very helpful.
- What homework do I need to have done before talking with the school? I assuming that the easier we make it for school, the more likely they'll approve. I'm told that the school had been approached once in the past but nothing happened.
- How do I go about finding a coach? Easiest would be finding a teacher that has ski race coaching experience. Doesn't seem that likely. Not having raced before, I don't even know what credentials to look for in a high school race coach. I'm sure there are all kinds (my high school soccer coach didn't know how to kick the ball properly).
- Expenses? I'm assuming that equipments, race fees, lift tickets for practice come from the members. How about expenses for the coach, is it reasonable to ask the school to subsidize the cost? Or will that be like nails on the coffin? Does the school have expense associated with assigning an advisor to the team (which I hear needs to be done for all school affiliated groups/teams)? Transportation would be another cost. I can already see fund raising effort needed.
- Practice location. Do local mountains give discount to school ski teams for tickets, etc? Do they (roughly) designate a section for practice to avoid bumping into general public? I can easily call and ask, but like to hear others' experience.
- Anything else? I'm sure there are things I haven't even thought of.
Your help/suggestion/comments are much appreciated.