EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Slalom ski and length eedback
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Slalom ski and length eedback

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

Looking for a Slalom ski on the cheap to build skills and use on the local hills (300' vert) with my kids.  I'm 6'2, 195lbs, Advanced.  Found a few GREAT deals, and am looking for some feedback on the following:

 

-Dynastar Omeglass Fluid - 172cm

-Head Icon TT 80 - 158cm

-Head Icon TT 60 - 164cm

 

I know there are other excellent SL skis out there, but budget is a priority right now, seeing as this will by my third set of skis purchased in one season, and Boss Lady's generosity at home is starting to wear just a wee thin. th_dunno-1[1].gif

 

Anyways, each of the above skis have 13-14m radius, prices are somewhat similar-ish range.  But I'm mostly concerned about the length.  164cm seems like best fit for short carver, but is the Icon TT 60 clearly inferior to the 80?  Is 158cm too short or will a bit of stiffness on the TT 80 compensate?  Is 172cm giving up too much maneuverability?

 

I'd appreciate any input/experience, thanks.

 

 

EDIT: Crap, I just noticed a brutal typo in the title.  UGH.  Maybe a mod can fix it to read "feedback"??  Thanks!

post #2 of 11

Ummm, if looking for fun and to build skills, why not get a real slalom ski?

post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 

Good point.  Well I suppose there's the budget concern, but also I've not hear dfrom people (other than experts) that a real SL ski is "fun".  They've generally described it as "work".

 

I found a Rossi Radical 9 SL on sale, decent price.  Would that be considered a "real" SL ski?  And would a non-racer notice much difference between a real SL ski and a detuned version?

 

I don't mind paying extra if I'll see real benefits and returns, but if it's a case of subtle differences, then I have a difficult time justifying more than double the expense.

post #4 of 11

I bet there are a ton of used slalom skis in and around the Collingwood area that could be had for cheap. Contact any of the ski clubs/teams in that area.  

post #5 of 11

I have skied on slalom race skis all my life and highly reccomend them. What you need to know is there are 3 levels, FIS or Pro level skis, you don't want these as they are rigid. The next level down would be good for you, the Radical SL9 is in that catagory and from what I read is a great ski. If you find a 175 cm version, let me know I would be interested. The third level is often called "front side carver" skis and they are similar to level 2, but softer and not as quick. This varies a lot with all the different models. I am not familiar with the first set of skis you mention, but I would guess they are in catagory 3.  At your size catagory 2 would be good, just avoid the Pro level skis. Do your homework as you can find used Pro level skis really cheap as there is a very limited market for used ones. You really wont enjoy them unless you are basically doing gates, just too stiff.

post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 

Good idea Betaracer, thanks!

 

bttocs, thanks for the explanation, that's what I needed to know.  I think a Category 1 is not what I need.  A category 3 MIGHT work, but like you said it depends.  I've already got good GS skis and want something different enough, short radius to make the smaller hills more fun, maybe just soft enough for bumps, and improve techique.

 

A couple questions:

 

-What about length?  For 6'2", 190lbs, is a 170-172 in Category 3 too long?  Is a 160 in Category 2 too short?  I honestly don't know how lengths work for SL skis.  I'm used to longer, GS style skis, especially ones that are heavy and damp.  SL skis will be quite a change for me.

 

-Would a category 2 work for moguls?

post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerbob View Post

Good point.  Well I suppose there's the budget concern, but also I've not hear dfrom people (other than experts) that a real SL ski is "fun".  They've generally described it as "work".

 

I found a Rossi Radical 9 SL on sale, decent price.  Would that be considered a "real" SL ski?  And would a non-racer notice much difference between a real SL ski and a detuned version?

 

I don't mind paying extra if I'll see real benefits and returns, but if it's a case of subtle differences, then I have a difficult time justifying more than double the expense.



by "work" they will certainly give you a good workout if you stay on top of them and drive them.  Lots of fun as well though if you like to pop off quick turns and have the ski give some real energy.  I would suggest you look for a used 165 race stock slalom (Beta racer's suggestion of source was good).  The race stock is usually a slightly larger radius (~13m) than the consumer (level 2 if you want to call them that) ski which is normally ~11.5m and is (IMHO) a better ski.  The differences are more than subtle.    There were some Blizzard 165 slaloms in gear swap.  That is a nice slalom ski.  Contrary to some of the views you will come across,  a race stock slalom does have a life outside gates.  At your height/weight and assuming you know how to drive a ski you should have no problem

 

Oh and if it is >166 it is NOT a slalom ski!!

post #8 of 11

Gunnerbob,

 

I am used to older style slalom skis more than the newer shorter lengths. The longest category 1 slalom ski is 165 cm, so a 160 or 165 would be good for you in that class. The next level down goes to 170-175 max size and I would say 165-170 would be right. 160 would be OK if relatively stiff ski. In category 3, 172 is not too long, and about right 165-175.

 

For reference, I skied a level 2 Fischer RC4 WC SC model race ski in 155 cm, and I am 6'4", 250 lbs. It was too short for me and I suspect a 165 would be too short for me, but even at 155, I liked the edge hold and solid grip of the ski. It just wasn't enough ski to handle my size.

 

I am looking for a 170 or even better 175 slalom ski in category 2 or maybe a 170 in category 1, which I don't think is made. I may try a 165 in category 1 just to see how it feels. When they get stiff enough, the shorted length is OK.

 

Any slalom ski over 165 cm is not FIS legal, so you can say it is not a true slalom ski if you want.

post #9 of 11

ScotsSkier is the race ski guru, so listen to what he says.  

 

That being said I've got a pair of Fischer RC4 in hole 165cm SL skis with FR17 bindings that I'm considering letting go of.  PM me if you're interested.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsSkier View Post



by "work" they will certainly give you a good workout if you stay on top of them and drive them.  Lots of fun as well though if you like to pop off quick turns and have the ski give some real energy.  I would suggest you look for a used 165 race stock slalom (Beta racer's suggestion of source was good).  The race stock is usually a slightly larger radius (~13m) than the consumer (level 2 if you want to call them that) ski which is normally ~11.5m and is (IMHO) a better ski.  The differences are more than subtle.    There were some Blizzard 165 slaloms in gear swap.  That is a nice slalom ski.  Contrary to some of the views you will come across,  a race stock slalom does have a life outside gates.  At your height/weight and assuming you know how to drive a ski you should have no problem

 

Oh and if it is >166 it is NOT a slalom ski!!



 

post #10 of 11

Head I.SL R.D > Hed I. SL > Head Supershape > chip66>TT80 >TT60.

Don't settle for anything less than Supershape; there's no need to.

Rossi  Radical 9 would work.

 

Get 165 cm.

 

omeglass fluid? What year?  I've heard of exclusive fluid (good women's ski, but a little too short a radius) , but am not familiar with omeglass fluid.

 

post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

Head I.SL R.D > Hed I. SL > Head Supershape > chip66>TT80 >TT60.

Don't settle for anything less than Supershape; there's no need to.


 


Do you know how hard it is to find a pair of Supershapes? I just put day one on a pair of last years 170s that may be the last new pair in the country.

It took me 15 months to find at a reasonable price.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Slalom ski and length eedback