EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Winter retirement home - Steamboat vs Park City (or maybe Whistler or ?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Winter retirement home - Steamboat vs Park City (or maybe Whistler or ?) - Page 3

post #61 of 81

And it's an opinion that looks rather silly with no context. Plenty of people here that live in or visit Utah that don't think it's weird.

post #62 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddy View Post

It's my opinion. 
 

 


Actually it is not. Anyone that has written anything other than a blog post or on a bathroom wall knows that an opinion is a conclusion reached by someone after looking at the facts. Facts can be broken down to proven facts, proboble facts, and proboble lies. What are your facts? Opinions come in three guises, verifiable, expert, or personal. Personal opinion is partly based on fact and partly based on what you already believe. So since what you are saying is certainly not a fact and is not an opinion either, what's your angle? My guess is troll.

The word weird is an interesting descriptive choice. Being from a large east coast urban city, being described this way could be very complimentary. My experiece in mountain towns on the east or west coast is that they could fairly be described as quirky. It is one of the charms.
post #63 of 81

Wow, the Utards are sure getting defensive around here.  Look, I've been to Utah several times.  Nice people, nice mountains, amazing national parks.  However, there's definitely a bit of a weird vibe sometimes, beyond the alcohol thing (which is a non issue now).  I could say the same thing about certain parts of many other states too, including my own.

post #64 of 81

I would seriously consider looking farther North for a preferred retirement location if skiing was high on the list of priorities.  Better safe than sorry when it comes to predicting climate long term based on recent trends.  There are few taking the "myth(?)" of climate change more seriously than Utah and other southern state ski resort owners.  It sure would suck to dump your entire retirement savings in to a ski house that no longer gets snow..

 

 

Quote:
 

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Ski resorts across the country are using the Thanksgiving weekend to jump start their winter seasons, but with every passing year comes a frightening realization: If global temperatures continue to rise, fewer and fewer resorts will be able to open for the traditional beginning of ski season.

Warmer temperatures at night are making it more difficult to make snow and the snow that falls naturally is melting earlier in the spring.

In few places is this a bigger concern than the American West, where skiing is one of the most lucrative segments of the tourism industry and often the only reason many people visit cash-strapped states like Utah during winter.

 

post #65 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzamonkey View Post


Actually it is not. Anyone that has written anything other than a blog post or on a bathroom wall knows that an opinion is a conclusion reached by someone after looking at the facts. Facts can be broken down to proven facts, proboble facts, and proboble lies. What are your facts? Opinions come in three guises, verifiable, expert, or personal. Personal opinion is partly based on fact and partly based on what you already believe. So since what you are saying is certainly not a fact and is not an opinion either, what's your angle? My guess is troll.
The word weird is an interesting descriptive choice. Being from a large east coast urban city, being described this way could be very complimentary. My experiece in mountain towns on the east or west coast is that they could fairly be described as quirky. It is one of the charms.

Again, I am not going to offend people here by getting into specifics.  And will stick to the general term of weird because it best describes the vibe that I get while in Utah.   I think Jay T describes it best in post 63.      I am not alone, when I lived in Colorado everyone said the the same thing about Utah,  now that I live in Cali, (which has it's own weirdness, but not the same) everyone says it here to about Utah.    It's not ALL people in utah, but there is a definite weird vibe that you get from some (many) people when you are out there.   
 

 

post #66 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddy View Post


I have Been to Utah SEVERAL times ( i am originally from Colorado).     Sorry but it's a weird vibe.  I am not going to go into details and insult people so that's all I will say.  

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeUT View Post

And it's an opinion that looks rather silly with no context. Plenty of people here that live in or visit Utah that don't think it's weird.


People from Colorado just like to say stuff like this, mostly because it pokes all the Wasatchers in the kidneys because you are obsessed with posting in every thread about how much better Utah is than Colorado.

 

So we talk about drinking laws and such and the whole thing goes down in flames.  If I were the OP and just read Pizzamonkey's post, I would definitely move to Steamboat, because now I am imagining sitting in a bar unable to get another beer having to listen to some pizza monkey rambling on about people's opinions and how proboble they are.

 

That shit goes down in Utah and you have to be careful.

 

 

 

post #67 of 81

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post

Wow, the Utards are sure getting defensive around here.


Da ... I no think Pizzamonkey be a utard ... like me is


Edited by NeedToSki - 3/20/12 at 1:23pm
post #68 of 81

For the record, the use of "utards" was intended in the same way a lot of Boston natives call themselves "massholes."  I first heard that phrase from a friend who was from (and still lives in) Utah.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedToSki View Post

 


Da ... I no think Pizzamonkey be a utard ... like me is



 

post #69 of 81

Hey JayTard;tongue.gif

 

Not the best manners use slurs when referring to folk's you're not that familiar with yet regardless of the intentions, might want to add some emoticons if you (like merolleyes.gif) insist to do so anywayth_dunno-1[1].gif

post #70 of 81

Our grade school map..............oh yeah wink,wink

stereotype-map.jpg

post #71 of 81

LOl  Where did you find that!  
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider View Post

Our grade school map..............oh yeah wink,wink

stereotype-map.jpg



 

post #72 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddy View Post

Again, I am not going to offend people here by getting into specifics.  And will stick to the general term of weird because it best describes the vibe that I get while in Utah.   I think Jay T describes it best in post 63.      I am not alone, when I lived in Colorado everyone said the the same thing about Utah,  now that I live in Cali, (which has it's own weirdness, but not the same) everyone says it here to about Utah.    It's not ALL people in utah, but there is a definite weird vibe that you get from some (many) people when you are out there.   
 

 



Yeah, and many of those people are basing their opinions on either what they heard or their brief experiences as visitors. I lived in CO, too. And heard the same crap. Luckily I ignored it, because UT is a much better ski state than CO duel.gif

 

Say what you want, my original point was that making such statements over and over again without any context looks foolish.

post #73 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeUT View Post

Say what you want, my original point was that making such statements over and over again without any context looks foolish.


Yes, but hearing the same thing over and over again from different people that have been there over a period of years and years might just be somewhat reliable.rolleyes.gif

 

post #74 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post


Yes, but hearing the same thing over and over again from different people that have been there over a period of years and years might just be somewhat reliable.rolleyes.gif

 



I think your point got lost somewhere in excessive verbiage. I have no idea what it was supposed to be.rolleyes.gif

post #75 of 81

I should stay out of this but...

 

I'm pretty sure we all know what you think the weirdness is.  Utah has a distinctive history and culture, in fact not just Utah but southern Idaho, northern Arizona and eastern Nevada. A pretty conservative and religious culture. In practical terms living in Utah is no different from living in any other conservative area in the country and some places in Utah really aren't that conservative anyway. But yeah if you are a super liberal you might not want to live here or at least you might not want to live in some areas of Utah, just like you might not want to live in some areas of Texas or Mississippi. Its not like anyone is going to harass you or anything but you might not find the social scene compatible or might not feel  the local/state government will represent your views. But places like Salt Lake City, Park City, Ogden, Moab and St. George are pretty diverse now and have a much more "flexible" culture than other parts of Utah.

 

My other point would be that most every place is considered "weird" by some one in some way.  Half the country thinks California is really weird, especially certain places in California.  I would venture that a random sampling of people across America would think Santa Cruz or San Francisco for instance is more "weird" than most places in Utah.  I personally think many places in the South are more "weird" than Utah. Texas is super "weird". Utah has a distinctive culture and history. Investigate and learn about it for yourself.  You might find it interesting or not. I personally find it pretty fascinating for many reasons and I am not LDS or particularly conservative socially. I might personally prefer a bit more liberal place all things considered but frankly there aren't a lot of more liberal places that combine all the things I can find here in the Park City/Salt Lake City area. And having lived in Utah, Idaho, Colorado, California, Oregon, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, North Carolina, Georgia, Alabama and New Mexico I feel comfortable in all kinds of "weird" cultures from one end of the spectrum to the other smile.gif

post #76 of 81

 That's like saying everywhere else but here has an accent.rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif

post #77 of 81

Utah is different and does have distinctive culture and history, but calling it "weird" - please? Personally, I found people in Utah just as same as me, maybe of different cultural, political, ethical, social and so on and so on beliefs (?). Just because some place does not feel like "home" do not call it weird. Choose wisely where you would feel like at "home" even if you are far away from it.

I am leaning toward choosing Lake Tahoe foothills for my third "home away from home". Just to stir things up, California/Nevada sides of the Sierra range has so many wonderful and diverse things to offer. And contrary to many false presumptions, it is very affordable to buy/rent in this part of the country, assuming you are willing to drive few short (scenic)  hours to many of the most wonderful ski hills in the country and great golf, wine, hiking, surfing, biking, culinary, hunting or any other kind of hedonistic experience you might desire in the country. 

 

Reno area might be another option -  it is good sized city within 45 minutes from multiple world-class ski resorts. And you might be able to witness XXIV Olympic Winter Games in your backyard !!! Real estate - cheap, crime - low, casinos - cheesy ( just to keep you away from them), ski scene - vibrant, airport - decent, beef - angus, wine - just down the hill.

 

And if you look for "weirdness" there is plenty of it in CA/NV - as any Elvis impersonator would testify or silicone (valley) enhanced CA "gurls". Crunch your numbers !

 

I Vote Sierras !!! 

post #78 of 81


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goranmilos View Post

I found people in Utah just as same as me

 

Now we're getting some honesty on this thread!

post #79 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeUT View Post



Yeah, and many of those people are basing their opinions on either what they heard or their brief experiences as visitors. I lived in CO, too. And heard the same crap. Luckily I ignored it, because UT is a much better ski state than CO duel.gif

 

Say what you want, my original point was that making such statements over and over again without any context looks foolish.

Dude  Talk about foolish,     "Ut is a much better ski state than CO," So there, and and and "say what you want"   Boooo hoo.  

 

You even said in an earlier text that "UTAH ISN'T THAT WEIRD"   which is admitting that it's does have a weirdness to it.  

Why do you care, I never said YOU were weird.  
 

 

post #80 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by NayBreak View Post


 

 

Now we're getting some honesty on this thread!


Well, I guess we are all "weird" in a sense.

 

post #81 of 81

The previous reputation of it being expensive was also true - the real estate collapse wreaked some serious havoc throughout NorCal (30 - 50% declines or more in many communities).  So yes, it's a great time to buy out here.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goranmilos View Post

I am leaning toward choosing Lake Tahoe foothills for my third "home away from home". Just to stir things up, California/Nevada sides of the Sierra range has so many wonderful and diverse things to offer. And contrary to many false presumptions, it is very affordable to buy/rent in this part of the country, assuming you are willing to drive few short (scenic)  hours to many of the most wonderful ski hills in the country and great golf, wine, hiking, surfing, biking, culinary, hunting or any other kind of hedonistic experience you might desire in the country.



 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Winter retirement home - Steamboat vs Park City (or maybe Whistler or ?)