or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › SLC 3/18-3/23 Best central location place to stay for skiing Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton? + Snowbasin
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SLC 3/18-3/23 Best central location place to stay for skiing Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton? + Snowbasin

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

I am flying into SLC and skiing with my 13 year old son over his spring break this year. If we were traveling with the whole family and or a larger group we would probably just stay at one resort but since it is just the two of us we are considering moving around. Our current plan is to locate centrally and ski Snowbird, Alta, Solitude, Brighton  and maybe Snowbasin, not necessarily in that order. Is this a good plan? Where is the best place to stay?

post #2 of 19

There are loads of hotels in SE. SLC near BCC and LCC. Will you have a car? If not, the bus routes run by most of the hotels.

post #3 of 19

I've done the same trip that you've described 3 times (including two weeks ago).  For hotels, my favorite is the Residence Inn Cottonwood Heights.  If you're looking for a condo, check VRBO and look for the Canyon Raquet club.  It's located behind the 7-11 near the intersection of the BCC road.  For lift tickets, go to the lift haus.  For food, check out the Porcupine. 

post #4 of 19
Thread Starter 

I had planned to rent a SUV 4x4. Obviously if I don't need to I would rather save the money but I am guessing a car would make the trip easier.

post #5 of 19

I was in much the same boat as you (i'm going a week after you). I was advised on here that a car can come in handy and is just a nice luxury to have in that area. I was told no on that by my wife though, who wants to do it on a budget! So we'll be busing it! We're staying at the Crystal Inn, which has a pick up service from the airport (another money saver!).

post #6 of 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govnor View Post

I was in much the same boat as you (i'm going a week after you). I was advised on here that a car can come in handy and is just a nice luxury to have in that area. I was told no on that by my wife though, who wants to do it on a budget! So we'll be busing it! We're staying at the Crystal Inn, which has a pick up service from the airport (another money saver!).


You'll really want to re-think that "no car" thing, if you can talk your wife into it.  Really tough to get around on a ski vacation out here without a car, unless you're staying right at the resort.  I guess it can be done, but IMO the (comparatively) small cost of a rental car will far outweigh the extra time and extra hassle involved in trying to have a ski vacation without proper transportation.  Check hotwire.com...you might be surprised how cheap it is to rent a car for a week.

post #7 of 19
Thread Starter 

Plans are set. We are staying at the Marriott Res Inn in Cottonwood. Stay 4 nights and get the 5Th for free. Renting a full size SUV through price line. $344.00 + tax for 5 days. We have our own equipment so the only thing left is tickets and to decide which mountain on which day. So far the long range forecast looks promising with no major warm up. Discount lift tickets?

post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labsrule View Post

Plans are set. We are staying at the Marriott Res Inn in Cottonwood. Stay 4 nights and get the 5Th for free. Renting a full size SUV through price line. $344.00 + tax for 5 days. We have our own equipment so the only thing left is tickets and to decide which mountain on which day. So far the long range forecast looks promising with no major warm up. Discount lift tickets?



Ski 'N See (2 locations in the area).  Costco also has discount lift tickets.  I think right now they've got Canyons, Park City and Snowbird, but that may vary depending on when you go to purchase them.  Another great option...check a very popular local website, ksl.com and search their classifieds section.  Lots of people sell lift tickets on there.  I buy all my Deer Valley passes on KSL for about $40-$50 as the season comes to an end.

post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta Dude View Post


You'll really want to re-think that "no car" thing, if you can talk your wife into it.  Really tough to get around on a ski vacation out here without a car, unless you're staying right at the resort.  I guess it can be done, but IMO the (comparatively) small cost of a rental car will far outweigh the extra time and extra hassle involved in trying to have a ski vacation without proper transportation.  Check hotwire.com...you might be surprised how cheap it is to rent a car for a week.



I hear you, I do. I will continue to try and get her mind changed, but it'll be a tough task.

post #10 of 19

Maybe just a 2wd small car.... then take bus up the canyon

post #11 of 19

That is my thinking, but you could argue that if you're going to do that anyway and the hotel has a shuttle service, then there isn't much point. We'll go ski first thing in the AM, come back, hot tub....dinner....bed. Repeat!

post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govnor View Post

I was in much the same boat as you (i'm going a week after you). I was advised on here that a car can come in handy and is just a nice luxury to have in that area. I was told no on that by my wife though, who wants to do it on a budget! So we'll be busing it! We're staying at the Crystal Inn, which has a pick up service from the airport (another money saver!).

We stayed there last year. It was perfectly fine, but there really isn't  much in the way of restaurants within in easy walking distance. We were initially planning to use the shuttle and buses. At the last minute we decided to spend the extra $$$ and rent a car. It was well worth it for the convenience and flexibility.
 

 

post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropKickMurphy View Post

We stayed there last year. It was perfectly fine, but there really isn't  much in the way of restaurants within in easy walking distance. We were initially planning to use the shuttle and buses. At the last minute we decided to spend the extra $$$ and rent a car. It was well worth it for the convenience and flexibility.
 

 

I hear you, I've seen you pretty much have to rely on the shuttle when going out to eat. Not the best situation, but we'll just have to live with that, I think.
 

 

post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govnor View Post

I was in much the same boat as you (i'm going a week after you). I was advised on here that a car can come in handy and is just a nice luxury to have in that area. I was told no on that by my wife though, who wants to do it on a budget! So we'll be busing it! We're staying at the Crystal Inn, which has a pick up service from the airport (another money saver!).


Hope you'll do a TR that includes comments about how shuttle/bus works out from the Crystal Inn.  The one in Midvalley/Murray, right?  What are your trip dates?  Have you decided where to ski yet?

 

post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post


Hope you'll do a TR that includes comments about how shuttle/bus works out from the Crystal Inn.  The one in Midvalley/Murray, right?  What are your trip dates?  Have you decided where to ski yet?

 



I'll try and do one, don't like the idea of riding the bus so much, but maybe it'll be OK! I'll be there in 2 weeks time.

 

I think we'll try Brighton and Alta. They seem to best suit what we would like.

post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govnor View Post



I'll try and do one, don't like the idea of riding the bus so much, but maybe it'll be OK! I'll be there in 2 weeks time.

 

I think we'll try Brighton and Alta. They seem to best suit what we would like.



For getting up to the slopes, my sense is that the bus is fine.  At Alta, better to get on at Albion (last stop) for the ride back to SLC.  More likely to get a seat that way.  As I remember, you are intermediates.  So probably will be skiing on the Albion side more any way, especially the first day.  Definitely a good idea to check out the Supreme lift.  The nice part about Collins is that you get a lot of skiing after a relatively quick ride from bottom to top.  Great views of Ballroom, runs off the High Traverse, and tree runs that an adventurous intermediate can enjoy.

 

Brighton hosts do a mountain tour every morning.  All on groomed blues.  Well worth it to get a sense of the different areas at Brighton.  The eating place at the base of the Milly lift was much nicer than the main lodge.  We finished the tour over on that side.

post #17 of 19

Thanks for all those tips!! Yeah I'd read that eating at Brighton is hit and miss!! For sure we'll be on Albion side the first day. The bus ride is going to be interesting, we've never had that amount of travel to the slopes before.

post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govnor View Post

Thanks for all those tips!! Yeah I'd read that eating at Brighton is hit and miss!! For sure we'll be on Albion side the first day. The bus ride is going to be interesting, we've never had that amount of travel to the slopes before.


You can think of the bus ride as an opportunity to chat with some folks who can tell you more about skiing in LCC and BCC. wink.gif  I've heard that if there is a road closure, the ski bus gets priority when the road opens.

 

post #19 of 19

We'll try and do that for sure. Yes I've read the buses get priority too, that probably pisses everyone off!! haha.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › SLC 3/18-3/23 Best central location place to stay for skiing Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton? + Snowbasin