or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Time to ski Steamboat! - Page 3

post #61 of 84

we're crossing fingers and toes for you!

post #62 of 84
Thread Starter 

It's time for me to starting crossing my fingers for mitchell, skibumm, greg, erin...yes, now that it is snowing I am packed up and heading home.  Not enough fell over night to keep me (will stop at the Jane on the way home and come back when I can miss the next doozey of a storm again).  Enjoy all, though it could be fanstastic as the day goes on since it should snow all day....

post #63 of 84

Yes!  Ira's leaving so the snow will puke exactly at the moment he crests the pass biggrin.gif
 

Sorry bro' safe journey and Hopefully you will get a bunch over at MJ.  Not really sure the boat is going to get all that much from this one. I think it's a better chance later in the week. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski-ra View Post

It's time for me to starting crossing my fingers for mitchell, skibumm, greg, erin...yes, now that it is snowing I am packed up and heading home.  Not enough fell over night to keep me (will stop at the Jane on the way home and come back when I can miss the next doozey of a storm again).  Enjoy all, though it could be fanstastic as the day goes on since it should snow all day....



 

post #64 of 84
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

Yes!  Ira's leaving so the snow will puke exactly at the moment he crests the pass biggrin.gif....

I had to sacrifice myself to the snow gods so that all others could benefit (it was indeed snowing hard on Rabbit Ears, though the skiing at the Jane was "creamy and dreamy"...soft bumps with the troughs filled in with 6"+ except for the every once in a while "jaws of death" Jane bump trough).  I will return to the 'boat when it stops snowing again....

 

 

post #65 of 84

Yesterday was very good skiing but the visibility up top was really bad. I felt like I needed a white cane for a while. They closed Morningside, Storm Peak Express and another lift due to high winds. The wind was really nuking. We skied Pony Express most of the morning and it was very good. Not too much wind and the snow was filling in our tracks (with a little help from the breeze). Shadows skied well yesterday afternoon.

 

This morning we jumped over to Sundown and skied Shadows and cut over to Sundown Lift Line. Rode the Sundown up again and hit Hot Cakes. Plenty of fresh tracks left in there. The rest of Morningside was getting hit hard and tracked out pretty quick. Unfortunately, I couldn't find much untracked over on Morningside that was accessed by that lift. Everything to lookers left was too flat. We jumped back over the front and went through the gate and skied Christmas Tree Gully. Lots of rocks still showing and the open lines were pretty tracked out. We waited too long to hit those.

 

Back out for a couple more hours before the lifts close. Possible big snow coming out of the NW. I hope it's strong enough to push through.

 

Cheers!

post #66 of 84
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibumm100 View Post

...The rest of Morningside was getting hit hard and tracked out pretty quick. Unfortunately, I couldn't find much untracked over on Morningside that was accessed by that lift. Everything to lookers left was too flat. We jumped back over the front and went through the gate and skied Christmas Tree Gully. Lots of rocks still showing and the open lines were pretty tracked out. We waited too long to hit those....

Yeah those locations get tracked out fast.  The tip (and you didn't hear it from me) is to ski the trees just in from the one, two and three o'clock runs and hug the skier's far right of Closet (called "Sideburn").  For some reason (probably because it's hard to navigate to these locations from the top of the runs--it's usually best to ski down the run a bit and then turn in) they get tracked the last (bumpfreaq and I were finding freshies all day on these and the pix we took were just in from two o'clock on the skier's right (hence the name 2:15).  There's others (like the trees on either side of Rolex, the tighter trees between the Four Points lift runs, and some stuff below the gondola that has resulted from beetle kill tree clearing), but then again I've already made too much of a public announcement about these secret stashes....

 

Enjoy!

post #67 of 84

It's been snowing since midnight, and the forecast states for snow all day today. Yesterday was great, and today appears to be as good. We are scheduled to depart this morning, but we are not excited about driving over rabbit ears pass in these conditions so we are looking for a condo to rent today & tomorrow night (our current condo has an arrival today so we must move out). I'm definitely really enjoying Steamboat and am not looking forward to leaving. If anyone has any suggestions on last minute accommodations, please let me know. We are currently at Trappeurs Lodge until checkout and hope to find somewhere soon. 

post #68 of 84

Hi Mitchell,

 

You might check with Steamboat Resort rentals. I believe they have a pretty big inventory and might be able to set you up with a last minute rental. The other good option might be VRBO. We originally rented our condo through VRBO but have rented directly from the owners the last couple years. Also try Pioneer Ridge. That's the complex we're in and some of the people I talked to at the hot tub rented through them. VRBO is online. Pioneer Ridge is 970-879-0517, I believe.

post #69 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski-ra View Post

Yeah those locations get tracked out fast.  The tip (and you didn't hear it from me) is to ski the trees just in from the one, two and three o'clock runs and hug the skier's far right of Closet (called "Sideburn").  For some reason (probably because it's hard to navigate to these locations from the top of the runs--it's usually best to ski down the run a bit and then turn in) they get tracked the last (bumpfreaq and I were finding freshies all day on these and the pix we took were just in from two o'clock on the skier's right (hence the name 2:15).  There's others (like the trees on either side of Rolex, the tighter trees between the Four Points lift runs, and some stuff below the gondola that has resulted from beetle kill tree clearing), but then again I've already made too much of a public announcement about these secret stashes....

 

Enjoy!


We skied a lot of trees over off of 2 O'Clock and were able to find a couple of pockets of untracked. We're headed out with Greg M this morning. Fresh snow last night!

 

Gregg
 

 

post #70 of 84
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibumm100 View Post


We skied a lot of trees over off of 2 O'Clock and were able to find a couple of pockets of untracked. We're headed out with Greg M this morning. Fresh snow last night!

 

Gregg
 

 


You can ski the treed band on both sides of both 2 and 3 O'Clock - check 'em all out, though I usually find the most freshies on 2:15 or 2:45 depending on the direction of the wind. Yeah I done good: I leave and then it snows...say hi to Greg M!
 

 

post #71 of 84

word from the mountain is that the upper mountain is holding knee-high classic Champagne powder.  Greg phoned in earlier.  

post #72 of 84

It was pretty darned good. Thanks for skiing with us Greg! Definately a good day for fatter boards. A lot of the mountain was hit pretty hard and there were a lot of people cutting it up. It was getting a lot tougher to find untracked later in the day. I still found some nice, lightly tracked meadow skipping over on Pony again. Skiing off the Ridge on the last run of the day was pretty darned nice too. Tomorrow's our last day ..... until next time. Then on to Copper for a day on Saturday.....then home.

post #73 of 84
We found a place via VRBO. There are some great lodging offers here right now, and the snow is great. Although we missed the morning powder (moving to a different unit), we skied the afternoon and had great conditions. The upper mountain is indeed holding nice amounts of light powder. It's great skiing!
post #74 of 84

Glad you were able to find a place. Last minute rentals can be a bargain since the other option is to let them sit empty. Enjoy the powder! Today is our last day here, then on to Copper. I'm so sore...everything hurts. :-)

post #75 of 84

Looks to be a great day today there. I would head over to the ridge and work your way across if you are up for that terrain. there should still be a lot of good stuff holding over there. I would also poke around on the lower mountain too. the trees to eaitehr side of heavenly daze are typically very tasty and I would def' give a look to the trees off the top of the gondi by the T-head lift inbetween Ted's and Thunderhead. they are more challenging but rewarding. Alos head over to Sunshine and take the access road (green trail) past Rolex and west side, all along that corridor are fantastic trees that can be very deep. Warning: tree well danger area so do not go alone. It's not crazy steep but it can get tight.

 

Cheers and let me know if you go and how it ski's for you.  I wish I could be there to show you personally

 

 

post #76 of 84

Made it to town and checked in. Thry almost didnt let us land due to por visability. Hopefully there will be a little snow left tomorow. Looks to turn clearer and warmer after that it sems. 

post #77 of 84

Snowed almost all day again today.  Super dry snow, great conditions all over the mountain.

post #78 of 84

Powder morning, chilly but well worth it.  Very dry snow made for great mornng.  Snowed most of the afternoon on upper mountain at Steamboat. Snow was great, but poor visibility due to clouds, wind, fog and flat light. Around 3pm the sun came out on the lower mountain for reward to those that stuck around.  Looks like it will be VERY good tomorrow as more snow is coming. 

post #79 of 84
Yesterday was my best day of the season. My posse skied with Brendan Doran, a two-time Olympian in ski jumpin and a product of the Wsc. He found knee deep lines for us, and we skied tons of trees. It was a great day.

Not sure how it will be today -- not that much new snow and there are tons of people here. Still, it is better than Summit County!

Mike
post #80 of 84

I may be stopping in for a few laps at the 'boat tomorrow depending on how travels go.

post #81 of 84

Should still be good, I'll be out if you feel like meeting up for a run or two.  Surprised to see it still snowing this morning... slept in, made a nice big breakfast, and heading up in 5 mins.  Was very cold up top yesterday, but even at 3pm there was a lot of untouched to still be found and the snow was nice and light.

post #82 of 84

Great day out there today. Some fresh overnight and continued to lightly snow all day. A bit windy and foggy in places but that was easy to deal with. 

post #83 of 84

That certainly was a great week of skiing! It was my first visit to Steamboat and I couldn't have timed it better. We went straight back to Morningside on Thursday (3/1), got fresh tracks for a few runs and stayed there all morning. We decided to head back there the next day and there was still plenty of powder. Without a doubt, the best couple of days I've ever had. I'll have to post some pictures in a trip report. Can't wait to go back!

post #84 of 84

stemboat is a very beautiful place i must say

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home