Going to either snowbird or solitude over spring break, and still deciding. None of the maps have a very good closeup, and I was wondering who had more/ better terrain parks to offer. Snowbird looks more challenging as far as powder, because it has more bowls and almost every trail is a double black, i couldn't get a good look at the terrain park, so anyone that has has been to one, the other, or both, just looking for a description of the park.
Related Forum Threads
- Upcoming Wasatch Trip - Mar 30 - Apr 4 Last post on Yesterday at 8:45 pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- First Trip to Cottonwood Canyon Last post on 2/21/17 at 5:20pm in General Skiing Discussion
- 2016-17 Utah weather, news, and chat Last post on Today at 9:18 pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Utah, Mid-March - which boards to bring? Last post on 2/26/16 at 2:57pm in General Skiing Discussion
- 2014-2015 Utah Weather Discussion Last post on 8/16/15 at 2:50pm in General Skiing Discussion
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- Snowbird Unofficial GuideLast edited: 11/7/15
After seeing only two reviews, both of them from five years ago, I decided to add to Apex's reputation. If you're into skiing and don't care for the extras like shopping, cafes, restaurants,...
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
- Snowbird Unofficial Guide
Snowbird or Solitude?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
You don't go to either resort for the terrain park. Go to Brighton or Park City for that.
Snowbird is easily the more challenging of the resorts, has a much better lift system and much more vertical. It's the most difficult mountain in Utah and one of the best expert resorts in the country. Solitude has less crowds, more fresh tracks and I believe it's cheaper. Both resorts are good for powder and natural terrain, but don't believe the freestyle is anything but a third-level afterthought at either.
Do either of them actually have a terrain park? As some have said, "the whole mountain is a terrain park".
My advice is that if you're staying in town, do a day at each and make up your own mind. If you're planning to stay slopeside, then Snowbird if you're an expert skier (so you can hit Alta next door) otherwise Solitude (so you can hit Brighton - plus anyone who's not an expert should avoid Snowbird).
Thanks, and I am going over spring break so I was trying to avoid the crazy prices and huge crowds, so I am kinda ruling out park city, and by expert level, i can do powder and all but nothing real serious, and mougles aren't my favorite but staying in town sounds like a good option.
Solitude and Snowbird are great for terrain and powder, but are two of the worst for terrain parks. I would mix it up and go to Brighton for park and the others for terrain and powder. However, brighton has good terrain as well and gets the same powder. Not sure where you're from, but if you don't get a lot of powder where you are, if storms hit while you're there, i would make teraain and powder a first priority. you can ski park anywhere.
- Snowbird or Solitude?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Atomic Vantage 90 CTI Skis 52 seconds ago
- › 2016 / 17 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke 42 minutes ago
- › lessons around Tahoe... 42 minutes ago
- › Pondering a new bike (but I really shouldn't ... but hey, summer... 58 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 1 hour, 5 minutes ago
- › NYC End of Season Social Gathering 1 hour, 13 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Utah weather, news, and chat 1 hour, 20 minutes ago
- › Mountains that offer skiing and mountain biking 1 hour, 23 minutes ago
- › My 2nd annual Banff trip: March 9 – 11, 2017 1 hour, 45 minutes ago
- › More Retro memories???? 1 hour, 47 minutes ago
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview