or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go › Schedule & meet points for the week of The Gathering
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schedule & meet points for the week of The Gathering

post #1 of 57
Thread Starter 

Sunday: Free ski day

Sunday Eve: Meet & Greet 6-8PM @ Snowind Sports in the Grand Sierra Hotel in Reno

 

Monday: Alpine Meadows

Meet Point: 9:00 @ The Coffee Bar in the Base Lodge

Monday Eve: Open

 

Tuesday: Mt. Rose/Demo Day

Meet Point: 9:00 @ The WintersCreek Lodge (Slide Side), tfollwo the signs east of the Main Lodge about 2 miles.

Tickets: Two for Tuesday Ticket's need tp be purchased ahead of time so buddy up! Check out the Buddy Thread HERE.

Tuesday Eve: Snowind Sports/Alaska Brewing Company Dinner @ Sky Tavern Ski Area, about 5 miles east of Mt. Rose. There will be a $10.00 cover that goes to the Sky Tavern Junior Ski Program.

 

Wednesday: Northstar

Meet Point: 9:00 at the far end of the MID mountain Lodge

Mid Day Celebration: Shaeffers Camp @ 11:30, Directly at the top of the Zephyr Lift

Wed Eve: TBA

 

Thursday: Squaw Valley

Meet Point: 9:00 @ Dave's Deli, it is near the bottom of the KT lift

Thursday Eve: Start Haus in Truckee @ 6-8PM, Drinks & food

 

Friday: Heavenly

Meet Point: 9:30 at the Stagecoach lodge. Slightly later meet point due to the location in people are parking/staying in town

 

Sat: Kirkwood

Meet Point: TBA, I am waiting for Coop to let us know

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #2 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gathermeister View Post

Monday: Alpine Meadows

Meet Point: 9:00 @ The Coffee Bar in the Base Lodge

Monday Eve: Open


To be clear, since there are a few places to get coffee, this is the Peet's area on the same floor as the cafeteria, overlooking the main deck -- basically, on the back side of the lodge, looking towards the lifts.

 

If you want to use day lockers at Alpine, go into the breezeway, which runs through the center of the main lodge, and you'll see a door on the right about halfway up to the day locker room.  There are also stairs there that lead up to the cafeteria -- bear left at the top of those and head towards Peet's.

post #3 of 57

Mmmm, Peets coffee...........drool.gif

post #4 of 57

Yep - one of the many indicia of Alpine's superiority. ;-)

post #5 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gathermeister View Post


Friday: Heavenly

Meet Point: 9:30 at the Stagecoach lodge. Slightly later meet point due to the location in people are parking/staying in town

 

 

FYI - The Stagecoach parking lot usually fills up by 9:00 so people should get there early if they don't want to walk too far.  Also people skiing there from other base lodges who don't know the mountain should look at the map first.  It's a long way there on several different lifts/trails.  One wrong turn could make you late.

post #6 of 57

I'm glad that the guides are posting these details.  Please keep 'em coming!

 

I believe that we'll have some mid day meet up points as we go along so that those who miss the early one will have a chance to catch up. 

post #7 of 57

For Mount Rose, Slide side.

 

If you are coming from Reno on the 431, take 878 on your left, about 1.5 miles before the main resort.  If you are approaching on 431 from North Lake/Incline Village, drive past the main resort for ~1.5 miles and take a right up to Slide.    The road stops at the car park and there is only one lodge so pretty difficult to get mixed up once you get there!

 

 

post #8 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gathermeister View Post

Wednesday: Northstar

Meet Point: 9:00 at the far end of the MID mountain Lodge

 

 

 

 

 

 


Can somebody please tell me where is the "MID" mountain Lodge? 

 

http://www.northstarattahoe.com/nsassets/images/the-mountain/1112_northstar_trail_map.jpg

 

I can't find it on the map.  On the map, there is a "Day Lodge" and a "Summit Deck and Grill" on top of Mt. Pluto.

 

I googled a "The Lodge at Big Springs" , but found nothing that is named "MID" mountain Lodge.

post #9 of 57
The mid mountain lodge is called the Day Lodge on the trail map. It is where the top of the gondola is as well as the bottom of 4 major lifts
post #10 of 57

Have we heard from Kwood about a special place to meet? 

post #11 of 57

Is there a reason the meets are at 9am? I guess to give folks time to drive from distant locales. but it makes it slightly hectic at Squaw if it's a good day. I'd recommend 8:30 if possible to have a more relaxed start and get a good spot in line if the skiing is good. Ticket office opens at 8:30 and Lifts load exactly at 9, the line forms up at about 8:40 on an average ski day. Will you be forming groups at the beginning of the week for the whole week, or at the meet each day?  thanks. looking forward to a great time.

 

The new name for Dave's Deli is the Pocket.

post #12 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post

Is there a reason the meets are at 9am? I guess to give folks time to drive from distant locales. but it makes it slightly hectic at Squaw if it's a good day. I'd recommend 8:30 if possible to have a more relaxed start and get a good spot in line if the skiing is good. Ticket office opens at 8:30 and Lifts load exactly at 9, the line forms up at about 8:40 on an average ski day. Will you be forming groups at the beginning of the week for the whole week, or at the meet each day?  thanks. looking forward to a great time.

 

The new name for Dave's Deli is the Pocket.



I'm guessing that the meet point is so that those who are unfamiliar will have time to find their way and get booted up.  Remember that meet times are Booted up and ready to go. 

 

post #13 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

 

I believe that we'll have some mid day meet up points as we go along so that those who miss the early one will have a chance to catch up. 



I strongly urge this -- those of us who are like slugs in the morning will need this opportunity.

post #14 of 57

I'm getting excited for this!!!

post #15 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbinder View Post



I strongly urge this -- those of us who are like slugs in the morning will need this opportunity.



We will most definitely have an optional mid day meet point.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by nolo View Post

I'm getting excited for this!!!



Are your bags packed!?

post #16 of 57

They're always packed. 

post #17 of 57

I hadn't noticed Peet's so I have to ask, on the same floor and in the same room as the Cafeteria ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDad View Post


To be clear, since there are a few places to get coffee, this is the Peet's area on the same floor as the cafeteria, overlooking the main deck -- basically, on the back side of the lodge, looking towards the lifts.

 

If you want to use day lockers at Alpine, go into the breezeway, which runs through the center of the main lodge, and you'll see a door on the right about halfway up to the day locker room.  There are also stairs there that lead up to the cafeteria -- bear left at the top of those and head towards Peet's.



 

post #18 of 57

Yes.

post #19 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post

I hadn't noticed Peet's so I have to ask, on the same floor and in the same room as the Cafeteria ?


Yes. It's just a stand, by the window to the deck.  Not ski-through. wink.gif

post #20 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post



We will most definitely have an optional mid day meet point.

 



Are your bags packed!?


My bags are packed in my head
post #21 of 57
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbinder View Post


My bags are packed in my head


The visual of coming through baggage claim is disturbing.

post #22 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gathermeister View Post



The visual of coming through baggage claim is disturbing.


Not if you are visualizing a möbius strip.
post #23 of 57
I believe Daves Deli is now called The Pocket. Just so people don't get confused. Regulars will find it fine.

Also, if you don't have your pass for Squaw yet. Buddy up with someone. I have several 2 for 1 vouchers from Shell. I will be at the Pocket around 8:15

Dc
post #24 of 57

going renegade here, gathermeister bear with me: some folks will be at the Pocket/ Dave's Deli on Sunday morning in case any out of towner's are looking for a posse to hook up with. around 9am, me, Alexn, Xela and whoever shows.  going to be around 16 degrees I think.....brrrrr, that's cold here. time to be determined by responses if anyone wants to make it later.

post #25 of 57

Also not trying to be a renegade, and I volunteered to guide at Heavenly, but I'm going to raise some issues with 9:30 at Stagecoach. What are the apres plans for Heavenly? Tahoe Lakeside Inn, on Highway 50 just E of base of Kingsbury Grade, offers a free drink with pass or lift ticket and always has drink and food specials. Downstairs is where a lot of ski resort employees go after work. They also offer a free breakfast once a month for those over 50 who signup for their courtesy card. Mont Bleu (formerly Caesar's) sometimes had good 99 cents taco and not very good 99 cent maragaritas before Christmas. There are literally a hundred other options in South Shore.

 

While Stagecoach works well for gathermeister and others coming from Reno, it may not work as well for people staying in So. Shore without advance planning. Some problems are:

1. Stagecoach at 9:30 could make it hard to beat mid-morning crowds on Sky Chair as two lifts and short and then long run required to get there.

2. Some of Heavenly's best late afternoon skiing is often on more west-facing Ridge Run and other runs off Sky Chair, and the steep lower mountain (East Bowl/Face and Gunbarrel are open, with some help from man-made snow). CA bar at CA base is one of the best ski area apres bars at Tahoe. (Yes, Chamonix at Squaw is better.)

3. Limits apres opportunities that don't require driving to small bar at Stagecoach or slightly larger one at Boulder or bar on road between Kingsbury and Stagecoach base.

4. Heavenly has apres with half-price drinks from 3:30-5:30 at Tamarack lodge. You could get a quick drink and ski down to CA base before they close Roundabout (I know not the best way down CA) at 4:15. To get back to Stagecoach base requires going up Tamarack, they either a long walk around East Peak Lodge and Lake or going up Comet. Since lifts usually close at 4 pm, you would more likely be riding down gondola (a beautiful ride, but I'd rahter ski down) then taking long shuttle to Stagecoach. It would be better to shuttle from CA or gondola base to Stagecoach before skiing, depending on where you want to end day.

 

I'm trying to raise these issues before a lot of us lose easy Internet access. If there is enough interest, I could lead a group from the tram at Heavenly's base willing to meet at or slightly before 9 am. I think we also need to setup on-mountain re-grouping places as Heavenly does not have great cell coverage and can take a long time to get from one side to the other. Tamarack Lodge is a beautiful, although expensive place, for lunch. Can we set a time for lunch there and maybe a couple of other re-grouping time/places/

post #26 of 57

Tseeb's points are very valid.  Heavenly is a tedious mountain to get around and having the meeting point at a far end of it will be very difficult with those coming from the opposite end.  It could easily take an hour by lift and ski. 

 

Tamarack (top of the gondola coming up from Stateline) is probably the best compromise meeting spot because it's direct access from Stateline and a couple of lifts plus a short ski from either Stagecoach or CA base.

 

I have no stake in this issue because I'm only attending the first 3 days of the Gathering.  But I have lots of experience at Heavenly and tseeb knows what he's talking about.

post #27 of 57

x

post #28 of 57

due to weather, cold that is, the time is moved to around 10am. I'm having some medical issues right now, unexpected, so I'm definitely a maybe this week.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post

going renegade here, gathermeister bear with me: some folks will be at the Pocket/ Dave's Deli on Sunday morning in case any out of towner's are looking for a posse to hook up with. around 9am, me, Alexn, Xela and whoever shows.  going to be around 16 degrees I think.....brrrrr, that's cold here. time to be determined by responses if anyone wants to make it later.



 

post #29 of 57

PM me about skiing Squaw on Sunday.  I'll be there, even if davluri and alexzn have dropped out.  I'm thinking 9:15 meeting time inside Dave's Deli.  We can always hit some early groomers before they get scraped off.  I am flexible, though.

post #30 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post

I'm having some medical issues right now, unexpected, so I'm definitely a maybe this week.

 

Sorry to hear it. Heal quickly and well.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go › Schedule & meet points for the week of The Gathering