or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New 2013 Atomic Racing Boot

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 

Atomic has a new racing boot out next year. I saw some samples in a store last week. New features are a mid boot flex (sole bends) that can be adjusted with different stiff seppas and a soft shell that allows for easy in and out step. Its red and black. The black arround the heel and the back of the boot is carbon fiber. Or colored that way. They did not have my size but the guy in the shop showed that he could fit into a one size smaller shell. The boots come in different stiffness and width.

post #2 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdk6 View Post

Atomic has a new racing boot out next year. I saw some samples in a store last week. New features are a mid boot flex (sole bends) that can be adjusted with different stiff seppas and a soft shell that allows for easy in and out step. Its red and black. The black arround the heel and the back of the boot is carbon fiber. Or colored that way. They did not have my size but the guy in the shop showed that he could fit into a one size smaller shell. The boots come in different stiffness and width.



Yeah, Beta racer posted pics of the new Redster (?) race boot with the Carbon spine.  Wonder if this has anything to do with the new 35m GS skis that may start a move back to stiffer boots?

post #3 of 30

A few other little things, the cuff can be rotated twisted (as well as cuff alignment) 5* in either direction. The toe lug has been shortened and the heel lug extended to basically move the skier's position forward.

 

really cool boot.

post #4 of 30
Thread Starter 

Thanks for your feedback guys.

 

ScotsSkier, the boot is the opposite of stiff. It has an adjustable longitudinal flex. The bottom of the boot is no longer straight. It has separate toe and heel parts. And a very high arch inbetween. And by swapping out the seppa (plastic footbed) inside the boot shell you can tweek the flex. So the boot flexes with the ski. The total opposite of the Nordica Doberman and Technica steel bases that try to make the boot as stiff as possible. Also, the top of the boot is made of very very soft plastic that is supposed to stay soft even in the coldest weather. So slipping in and out of it is easy. But its rigid arround the heel where the carbon fiber is located and when the boot is closed it gives it a very tight feel.

 

Whiteroom, I wonder if boot stores will be able to setup the forward flex angle of the boots.

 

 

post #5 of 30

Okay, I'm sold, for all the reasons you guys have outlined in your notes on the new boot.  Availability is supposed to be May of this year...right? So it'll be available at Mt. Hood and so forth...or are there going to be some available in the US before the end of the 2012 season?  Any thoughts? (I'm going to go see my Atomic rep after training on Thursday...)

 

biggrin.gif

post #6 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiRacer55 View Post

Okay, I'm sold, for all the reasons you guys have outlined in your notes on the new boot.  Availability is supposed to be May of this year...right? So it'll be available at Mt. Hood and so forth...or are there going to be some available in the US before the end of the 2012 season?  Any thoughts? (I'm going to go see my Atomic rep after training on Thursday...)

 

biggrin.gif



There are some out there now.

post #7 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdk6 View Post

Thanks for your feedback guys.

 

ScotsSkier, the boot is the opposite of stiff. It has an adjustable longitudinal flex. The bottom of the boot is no longer straight. It has separate toe and heel parts. And a very high arch inbetween.

 



*has a minor flashback to the 11.50/10.50 years*    

 

Wonder if they're going to clump up when walking on wettish snow as often as those old ones did.

 

 



Quote:

Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post

 

The toe lug has been shortened and the heel lug extended to basically move the skier's position forward.

 

 

Is this feature conveniently modular?
 

 

post #8 of 30
post #9 of 30

I just talked to the Atomic rep, and there's a chance I may get a pair, at least to demo, this season.  He thinks it's going to revolutionize race boots; I agree. I also got a look at next year's Atomic race catalog; yes, listed is a 195 35M ski and a 188 30M ski, which meet the FIS WC regs for Men's and
Women's GS respectively.  However, also available will be a 190 cm 27M ski and a 183 cm 23M ski...I'll get a pair of the 183s next summer.  SL hasn't changed, 155s, 158s, and 165s still available, the tip profile has changed slightly, the D2 and tip on the GS skis changes also...

 

biggrin.gif

post #10 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiRacer55 View Post

I just talked to the Atomic rep, and there's a chance I may get a pair, at least to demo, this season.


Did he say what flex it will be? I've only seen the 130 with 98mm last, kinda wondering if a 95 last 150 is available now. Also wondering how Nordica and Atomic flex numbers compare. I'm thinking a black 150 might be softer than a red and white one.

post #11 of 30

You can basically get anything you want, including a 170 flex, if you can believe that.  It's a very different concept in boots.  The carbon fiber spine makes it stiff where it needs to be, the front part of the cuff is relatively soft, which is what i want.  Your mileage may vary, but I'm going with the 130, 98 mm last...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post


Did he say what flex it will be? I've only seen the 130 with 98mm last, kinda wondering if a 95 last 150 is available now. Also wondering how Nordica and Atomic flex numbers compare. I'm thinking a black 150 might be softer than a red and white one.



 

post #12 of 30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_RXRXsqNS4

 

Take a view of this.

 

Shows a number of features of the new Redster boots.

 

Flex range is from 90 to 170 in the adult line-up. Pro has a 98mm last and the WC has a 95mm last.

WC flexes are 110, 130, 150, 160 and 170

Pro flexes are 90, 110, 130.

 

130 Flex and up come with the 3 different flex chassis, lower stiffness models will have them available as aftermarket.

 

 

post #13 of 30
Thread Starter 

Betaracer, thanks for the info and the link. I was at a race the other week and there was this one guy in a pair of WC 170. I asked what he thaught and he said it was very soft. Much softer than his previous Doberman 130. Which is very soft compared to my Dalbello Scorpio 130. Go and tell. I guess its not all about the stiffness. There is more to it. The guy would not say anything else not good or bad. Kind of strange. But I think that we should be able to get some feedback pritty soon because the boot is hitting the shops any time now.

post #14 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiRacer55 View Post

However, also available will be a 190 cm 27M ski


Which many people will no doubt start referring to as "cheater" GS skis rolleyes.gif

 

post #15 of 30

Not me.  I'm sticking with 183 23 cm, which is why I'm stocking up for next year.  My Atomic rep doesn't know what will be available the season after next, so most of us are investing in Skis That Work for Us Now.  I'm also getting a pair of 158 SLs...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by exracer View Post


Which many people will no doubt start referring to as "cheater" GS skis rolleyes.gif

 



 

post #16 of 30

Coaching kids that have had an issue getting the skis they needed skis last season because of low stocks I really hope your rep takes care of all FIS athletes before he lets you "Stock Up"

post #17 of 30

Sounds like they are going head to Head, Redster - Raptor.   And I see a Booster strap on those Atomics too just like the Heads now have..

 

In looking up these boots, I see Head is coming out with a partially carbon boot as well.  I do like the cuff rotation feature, great idea.

 

Dodge is on to something good.....as I knew they were and theorized a carbon boot would be long before they became readily available.

post #18 of 30


Trust me, he sells mostly to juniors, Masters are maybe 10% of his sales. And in terms of the skis, there isn't a lot of crossover. He also does what I'm describing, which is ask his regulars what they want in the spring so they can preorder and ensure that they get whatever they want...
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAS29 View Post

Coaching kids that have had an issue getting the skis they needed skis last season because of low stocks I really hope your rep takes care of all FIS athletes before he lets you "Stock Up"



 

post #19 of 30

I think Atomic is squaring off on everybody, including the new Fischer vacuum boot.  One of my teammates had on  a pair of Redsters, and said they are very easy to get into, and fit well right out of the box...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie-Rich View Post

Sounds like they are going head to Head, Redster - Raptor.   And I see a Booster strap on those Atomics too just like the Heads now have..

 

In looking up these boots, I see Head is coming out with a partially carbon boot as well.  I do like the cuff rotation feature, great idea.

 

Dodge is on to something good.....as I knew they were and theorized a carbon boot would be long before they became readily available.



 

post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie-Rich View Post

Sounds like they are going head to Head, Redster - Raptor.   And I see a Booster strap on those Atomics too just like the Heads now have..

 

In looking up these boots, I see Head is coming out with a partially carbon boot as well.  I do like the cuff rotation feature, great idea.

 

Dodge is on to something good.....as I knew they were and theorized a carbon boot would be long before they became readily available.



Where did you see info on Head adding carbon to the Raptor?  Please provide more details.

post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodler View Post



Where did you see info on Head adding carbon to the Raptor?  Please provide more details.



http://hardsnow.blogspot.com/2011/12/head-carbon-ish-boots-coming-soon.html

post #22 of 30

^^^^^^ Thanks for that.  In reading the comments following the pic and write-up you'll find Bill Doble (of Dodge Boots) taking a pretty nasty swipe at Atomic's Redster.

post #23 of 30

I had a chance to ski the new Redster 130 Pro this week.  I found the fit to be slightly more generous in the heel pocket than last year's boot, but the heel hold down was excellent.  The Pro is definitely a medium plus volume boot to me, but my daily boot is a Lange plug.  There was quite a bit of room all around the foot area outside of the heel.  Skiing the boot felt soft flex-wise, but snapped the skis on edge quickly and firmly.  Great lateral stiffness!  I didn't try any of the included bootboards, and just stuck with the default one.  The J3/J2 kids were all trying them as well, and didn't have trouble flexing boots one or two notches stiffer than their current boots.  Most preferred the WC fit to the Pro. 

 

I tried the boots on next year's FIS 195/35m D2 GS ski.  Interesting ski, didn't feel a thing like the current 201/33M SG skis which was what I expected.  Very responsive, came around much better than I anticipated, the only things that really stood out were a tendency to tip over if the skis weren't up to speed, and a feeling like the tips were grabby, both things that I hadn't felt since the advent of shaped skis.  The 191/28m D2 GS skis were awesome.  FWIW, the new graphics are pretty cool as well!

 

 

 

post #24 of 30
post #25 of 30
post #26 of 30

Looking at these for this year.  Anyone care to post experience with this boot?  I tried on the 130 Pro, felt like a 90.

post #27 of 30

I am interested to hear if the interchangable flex frames make a difference or if that is just hype.  They are very different feeling, but if someone has actually compared them on snow please post your experience.  Thx

post #28 of 30

Also the rotational component of the cuff seemed to really move my knee out over my foot more where I want it   Has this been tried in other boots?  It seems to be a simple concept.

post #29 of 30

Just getting into these now and having a pair set up for the season. First try on only and the Redster Pro had SIGNIFICANTLY more room in the forefoot than my existing 2012 Doberman Pro 130's... Dobie skied great, but very snug (I have circulation challenges) and the Dobie was cold. Very cold...

post #30 of 30

From the pictures I've seen, these boots seem to have AGGRESSIVE forward-lean.  What is the rationale for that, and who would it be good for?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home