EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Top 5 cusotmer rated ski's on Evo
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Top 5 cusotmer rated ski's on Evo

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
post #2 of 24

I wonder where the people rating these wide skis are skiing them and how the survey was conducted.  I seriously doubt anybody skiing most of the snow in the U.S. this year would be as happy on these as on a narrower-waisted ski. 

post #3 of 24

^^^^ I was very skeptical of this list for the same reason.  Not that they aren't good skis.

post #4 of 24
I would not consider evogear.com to be experts at anything except price manipulation and sleazy sales tactics. I would surely not consider them experts on what skis are the best skis for anyone's application, outside the image-limited application of "what will having these skis in the lift line say about me?"
post #5 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_m View Post

I wonder where the people rating these wide skis are skiing them and how the survey was conducted.  I seriously doubt anybody skiing most of the snow in the U.S. this year would be as happy on these as on a narrower-waisted ski. 


Sorry you're getting skunked. The PNW is doing alright.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post

^^^^ I was very skeptical of this list for the same reason.  Not that they aren't good skis.


Sorry you're getting skunked. The PNW is doing alright.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzledVeteran View Post

I would not consider evogear.com to be experts at anything except price manipulation and sleazy sales tactics. I would surely not consider them experts on what skis are the best skis for anyone's application, outside the image-limited application of "what will having these skis in the lift line say about me?"

Actually it's based on user reviews. Tell us you're grizzled old story.
 

 

post #6 of 24

My guess it's because the guys that are prone to mono-syllabic answers on most occasions are also the ones prone to providing such "reviews".  Same ones who likely claim "skinnies are for sissies" and "Pow rulez man.  GNAR.  Pow, it's all about the POW.  P-O-W!!!"

 

Which would explain why the powder skis managed such apparent "acclaim".

 

rolleyes.gif

post #7 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerbob View Post

My guess it's because the guys that are prone to mono-syllabic answers on most occasions are also the ones prone to providing such "reviews".  Same ones who likely claim "skinnies are for sissies" and "Pow rulez man.  GNAR.  Pow, it's all about the POW.  P-O-W!!!"

 

Which would explain why the powder skis managed such apparent "acclaim".

 

rolleyes.gif



It never cease to amaze me the amount of vitriol people who live in flat icy areas can can generate any time there is mention of powder ski's.

post #8 of 24

People who don't like what I like are just IDIOTS

 

/THREAD

post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGASkiDawg View Post

People who don't like what I like are just IDIOTS

 

/THREAD

 

IQ Range Classification
70-80 Borderline deficiency
50-69 Moron
20-49 Imbecile
below 20 Idiot

Rules.gif

post #10 of 24

My comments were sarcastic, and an underhanded dig at the types who trash anyone in the East and "skinny skis", that the only thing that matters in the industry are powder skis.  Was meant as a jab back in defense of us lowly Eastern folk.  Sorry that wasn't more apparent.  I'll be sure not to quit my day job to become a comedian LOL.

post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerbob View Post

My comments were sarcastic, and an underhanded dig at the types who trash anyone in the East and "skinny skis", that the only thing that matters in the industry are powder skis.  Was meant as a jab back in defense of us lowly Eastern folk.  Sorry that wasn't more apparent.  I'll be sure not to quit my day job to become a comedian LOL.



I wonder how many US ski team and World cup skiers originated from the East Coast? Bodie comes to mind. Nuff said.

post #12 of 24
I think somebody changed your link to "5 Ugly Skis" as a joke.
post #13 of 24

Clearly they picked the prettiest ones. I mean there's not an ugly ski in the bunch there.  Really if they were serious, there'd be an ugly one. I'm suspicious. Notice there's no Icelantics.

Who cares how they ski? They look good on my computer. You guys want the moon, they gave you Venus which is better.

 

post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

Really if they were serious, there'd be an ugly one. I'm suspicious. 

...and not a green ski in sight! Surely there'd be at least one green ski in any top 5 list!

 

 

post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecimmortal View Post

Actually it's based on user reviews. Tell us you're grizzled old story.

User reviews are not reliable, given the propensity of most skiers to believe they're better than reality would suggest. The ubiquity of internet e-spray in 2012 means that a "good review" merely needs to include a few buzz-phrases to impress readers. A well-written review still could be nonsense from someone who's learned what words are included in a good review, without any connection to the person's actual skiing and actual perception of what makes a ski great or lousy.

Evo's pricing issues are pretty obvious. Lots of bait-and-switch, in my experience. No, I don't have links. I just get emails from them, then click the links, and find the prices are wildly inflated, or the skis are actually used and have demo bindings, but are priced similar to new "closeout" gear with system and not demo bindings. That sort of thing. I call that sleazy, but maybe it's just clever marketing from some people's perspective.

But if you work there and feel insulted by these observations, I guess I am sorry. I guess.
post #16 of 24

Ah that's ok Slider, I don't ski for Bode or anyone else.  Couldn't care less.  'nuff said.

post #17 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzledVeteran View Post


User reviews are not reliable, given the propensity of most skiers to believe they're better than reality would suggest. The ubiquity of internet e-spray in 2012 means that a "good review" merely needs to include a few buzz-phrases to impress readers. A well-written review still could be nonsense from someone who's learned what words are included in a good review, without any connection to the person's actual skiing and actual perception of what makes a ski great or lousy.
Evo's pricing issues are pretty obvious.
But if you work there and feel insulted by these observations, I guess I am sorry. I guess.



 

 

By your own logic though, everything you spew could be nonsense as well, as your only presence here seems to be an annual pilgrimage to spew some self righteous indignation.

post #18 of 24
Yes, "ecimmortal," the issue is reliability of opinions sprayed on the Internet.

If you don't know the opinion-spouter's abilities etc then the opinions are worthless if they relate to gear.

Gear suitability depends on personal preference.

Gear review accuracy depends on the user's perceptiveness, knowledge of gear, and skills related to using the gear. You're telling me you can assess those things merely from a handle used to post a review? That must be a skill taught at Freeskier.com or something! Hell yeah!

This isn't that tough to understand, unless you want to NOT understand it for the sake of issuing snark. So here you are, being the TGR guy who ranks on EpicSki people. Good for you!

I would welcome you to close your "argument" by suggesting that we have a "ski-off" to prove whether you are "better than" me. That would be consistent with the tone and content of your comments at EpicSki!
post #19 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzledVeteran View Post

Yes, "ecimmortal," the issue is reliability of opinions sprayed on the Internet.
If you don't know the opinion-spouter's abilities etc then the opinions are worthless if they relate to gear.
Gear suitability depends on personal preference.
Gear review accuracy depends on the user's perceptiveness, knowledge of gear, and skills related to using the gear. You're telling me you can assess those things merely from a handle used to post a review? That must be a skill taught at Freeskier.com or something! Hell yeah!
This isn't that tough to understand, unless you want to NOT understand it for the sake of issuing snark. So here you are, being the TGR guy who ranks on EpicSki people. Good for you!
I would welcome you to close your "argument" by suggesting that we have a "ski-off" to prove whether you are "better than" me. That would be consistent with the tone and content of your comments at EpicSki!


Now you're just making shit up for the sake of being a dick. Sorry I struck  some nerve in your obvious thin skin by linking to an article on Unnoficial. Maybe you shoud just go ski instead of being so incensed that people like different ski's than you do. Don't bother responding. I'm just going to use the ignore option. There are already enough people pissed off that other people ski, and have fun just a little bit differently than they do on this site. I don't need to pay attention to one more.

 

FWIW it's kind of moronic to pule the "TGR guy" card seeing as I actually support this site, when most of the over opinionated retro grouches don't.

 

post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGASkiDawg View Post

People who don't like what I like are just IDIOTS

 

/THREAD


I had always thought people in general were idiots anyway, regardless of whether they liked what I liked.

 

After seeing Slider's I.Q. chart, however, I now realize my previous outlook has been overly harsh.  It would appear an unfortunate few people are, in fact, imbeciles, while most others are sufficiently sharp to actually be morons.  devil.gif

 

Of course, that could just be my unrepentant misanthropy talking.......

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by slider View Post

 

IQ Range Classification
70-80 Borderline deficiency
50-69 Moron
20-49 Imbecile
below 20 Idiot

Rules.gif



 


Edited by Skierish - 2/10/12 at 9:01am
post #21 of 24

50 % of the population is below average intelligence.  

 

Sound about right?

 

post #22 of 24

I'd say yes.  Here's some evidence: http://literallyunbelievable.org/
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by budge View Post

50 % of the population is below average intelligence.  

 

Sound about right?

 



 

post #23 of 24

Many days it is hard to believe that it is only 50% that are below average.

post #24 of 24

Y'all are behind the new info. We're dealing with "flip core" these days. Got to do the same with your numbers.

 

moving on.... I thought this review of the Armada was pretty good.

 

Review By Scary
from Taos, NM

I bought the JJs untried but after careful review of ratings and comments. The best decision I’ve ever made. I’ve been a Mantra guy for the last five years and my most recent pair are now collecting dust in my locker. I live and ski in Taos, NM. They perform incredibly well in hard and soft bumps, groomers and powder. The quickest and easiest turning skis I’ve ever tried. Finally got a foot of fresh last week and I’ve never experienced pure flotation and responsiveness that these skis provided.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Top 5 cusotmer rated ski's on Evo