EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Can Volkl Fuego be too "advanced" for me?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can Volkl Fuego be too "advanced" for me?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

I'm trying to look for a new pair of skis and demoed the Fuego earlier this season.  However, to my surprise, I didn't really like them that much.  I was able to control them, but find them rather demanding.  They also tired my legs out much quicker than my current skis.  frown.gif

 

Currently, I'm on Tecnica Attiva V80 (custom fitted and canted) for boots, and Volkl Cielo (which I've had for 4 seasons).  I'm 5'5" and slightly over average built.  I'm in my late 20s and ski very comfortably on Swiss/Austrian/French red slopes and easier black slopes.  On a non-icy and good day, I can also ski down steeper blacks.  At the moment, we are working on some hopping turns and refining my short turns with the goal to get me ready for deeper powder and off piste. I'm already skiing some light powder in between the groomers, but not exactly comfortably. 

 

I thought that it might be time for me to upgrade to a more advanced pair of skis given that my current skis are really meant for beginner.  On the other hand, I don't have too many complains on my current skis.  Well, some time, I would find them a bit unstable when I am going quite fast.  Also, sometimes, on the blacks or generally on the steeper stuff, I kind of want something slightly heavier than my current skis - somehow I have this feeling that something heavier will give me more control.  

 

In addition to the Fuego, I also tried Head MYA #5 PR. While I find Fuego demanding, they were still alright.  But I did not like MYA #5 from Head at all.  I found them very difficult to turn, and they just didn't feel right...  Unfortunately, Volkl only had Fuego available from their women's line at the demo day, so I wasn't able to try anything else from them.

 

Any thought or comments or any other skis you would recommend me trying would be much appreciated.  smile.gif

post #2 of 10

Völkls tend to have a lot of metal in them - especially as you go higher up the experience scale. So, there is a chance that the ski was simply too stiff for you - whether or not it was too "advanced" would be based on a number a factors that could be difficult to determine from this forum. With a stiffer ski, if you don't have the combined leg muscle and body mass to bend the ski, I think it tends to ski you by the end of the day. That might have been what you were experiencing with the Fuego.

 

In order to determine what a better fit might be for you, see if you can't demo more skis of about the same caliber in different brands. I am not overly familiar with women's lines, so I'll defer to others here . . .

post #3 of 10

Skiing with some of my lady friends last week, I got comments that the Nordica Infinite, Salomon Geisha and the Dynastar Exclusive Eden were all very well liked.  O, and Vicky loved her new Black Pearl's from Blizzard.  All those ladies ski very well, so you should try to demo some of what they were riding.  Just looking at them, I liked the shape of the Black Pearl and the Geisha's the most for versatility.

post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2 ski View Post

Skiing with some of my lady friends last week, I got comments that the Nordica Infinite, Salomon Geisha and the Dynastar Exclusive Eden were all very well liked.  O, and Vicky loved her new Black Pearl's from Blizzard.  All those ladies ski very well, so you should try to demo some of what they were riding.



I have the Big Brother of the Black Pearl - the Bushwackers - and really like them.

 

Skiprincess, if you're ultimate goal is more off piste, then the Black Pearls could end up being a good choice for you. They won't be great in deep powder, but they will definitely work and they're awesome off piste.

post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSloan View Post



I have the Big Brother of the Black Pearl - the Bushwackers - and really like them.

 

Skiprincess, if you're ultimate goal is more off piste, then the Black Pearls could end up being a good choice for you. They won't be great in deep powder, but they will definitely work and they're awesome off piste.



I still think the Black Pearl and the bushwacker are the same ski! I have skied both in the same lenght and I can not tell you what the difference is!

 

both are awesome skis for ligher skier or for heavier aggressive finesse skiers. another very close and cheaper option is the Dynstar 6th sense Distroter it does some thing better than the Bushwacker like tree skiing.

post #6 of 10

The fuego is a full bore carving ski with a 73mm width it will work best on groomers.  Candidly, look at the Volkl Kenja, ski of the year in ski mag it's male  counterpart was ski of year in outside mag last year.  My wife is on the Kenja and loves them, in fact likes them so much that we will be selling here fuegos at season end. 

post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor322 View Post

The fuego is a full bore carving ski with a 73mm width it will work best on groomers.  Candidly, look at the Volkl Kenja, ski of the year in ski mag it's male  counterpart was ski of year in outside mag last year.  My wife is on the Kenja and loves them, in fact likes them so much that we will be selling here fuegos at season end. 



I'm on Kenja's this year and love them. They're great skis.

post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Matta View Post



I still think the Black Pearl and the bushwacker are the same ski! I have skied both in the same lenght and I can not tell you what the difference is!

 

both are awesome skis for ligher skier or for heavier aggressive finesse skiers. another very close and cheaper option is the Dynstar 6th sense Distroter it does some thing better than the Bushwacker like tree skiing.


They may be. I've never skied the BPs. Weren't around in my size when I was demoing. Still love me my BWs. :-)

 

BTW, welcome back, Josh!

 

post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 

Thanks a lot for all the replies.  It sure looks like I should give Kenja a try and perhaps also the Black Pearls. 

 

I found a deal on Kenja for about USD 500 shipped (no bindings)...  maybe I'll just go for this and skip the demoing part (I know this is not good, but it might be difficult to find a demo/rental pair of Kenja) near by.  frown.gif

 

Would 163cm be a good length?  I'm 5'5", currently on a pair of 154cm...  Have tried up to 158cm when demoing and was fine.  I'm thinking that I should go with 163cm Kenja, but then, that's 9cm longer.  156cm on the Kenja just seem a bit short from all the normal ski length charts especially given my slightly bigger than average built.

post #10 of 10

I would think the 163 would be good. As you get more advanced, you'll definitely like the length. Well, at least I do . . . smile.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Can Volkl Fuego be too "advanced" for me?