EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › International Zone › How Popular is Lindsey Vonn in Europe?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How Popular is Lindsey Vonn in Europe?

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 

She wins, she's beautiful - in a different sport in the US she'd be a household name.

What about Europe? There her speaking German has to be huge. She must be a marketers dream over there.

Check out her interview in German after the DH race in St. Moritz.

 

Also, check out her line on the right hand turn coming into the knoll at 51-54secs. and the turn on the steeps shortly after. Incredible.

 

http://youtu.be/F_-ygPMpuao

 

 

Here's the same run with Italian announcers.

 

Can anyone translate this Italian? primoz?

Quote:- description for below video

Non ci sono parole per descrivere l'impresa di oggi della fuoriclasse americana. Se non potesse risultare un insulto alla sua indubbia avvenenza e femminilità, potremmo dire che ha sciato come un uomo! Traiettorie impossibili per le altre e distacchi abissali, da richiedere, forse, una modifica del regolamento, perchè , prendere gli stessi punti arrivando ad un centesimo o a 142, non è neanche giusto! Scherzi a parte, da notare il terzo posto di una deliziosa Tina Weirather, al suo secondo podio stagionale che, oltre che a ricordare la madre (la grandissima Hanni Wenzel) nelle fattezze del viso, inizia, piano piano a seguirne le ...scie. Certo che con due genitori così...Maluccio le azzurre, ma visto che non puntano a nessuna coppa, meglio vincere una gara (Merighetti) , che tanti piazzamenti a ridosso del podio.

 

 

 

Interview in English after race: Also interview with Maria Riesch and Tina Weirather.

 

 

   FisAlpine                                                                                                                  http://youtu.be/QAKXqfVf5f4


Edited by Tog - 1/30/12 at 8:07pm
post #2 of 25
Quote:
Non ci sono parole per descrivere l'impresa di oggi della fuoriclasse americana.
Se non potesse risultare un insulto alla sua indubbia avvenenza e femminilità,
potremmo dire che ha sciato come un uomo! Traiettorie impossibili per le altre e
distacchi abissali, da richiedere, forse, una modifica del regolamento, perchè ,
prendere gli stessi punti arrivando ad un centesimo o a 142, non è neanche giusto!

Scherzi a parte, da notare il terzo posto di una deliziosa Tina Weirather, al
suo secondo podio stagionale che, oltre che a ricordare la madre
(la grandissima Hanni Wenzel) nelle fattezze del viso, inizia, piano piano a
seguirne le ...scie.
Certo che con due genitori così...Maluccio le azzurre, ma visto che non puntano
a nessuna coppa, meglio vincere una gara (Merighetti) , che tanti piazzamenti a
ridosso del podio.

Loose translation..I did a quick and dirty job..
Quote:
There are simply no words apt to describe today's unrivalled feat by the American
champion.
If it weren't that saying so could be an insult to her undoubted beauty and
femininity, we would say that she has skied like a man!
Impossible to emulate lines (by the other racers) and abysmal time distances,
such to require, maybe, a modification of the rules because, to get the same points when
one classifies (second behind her...) at a hundredth of a second or at 142/100,
it isn't fair!
Jokes aside, we should bring to the attention (of the pulic) the third place of the
charming Tina Weirather, who conquered her second podium this season and, othern than
reminding us of her mother (the great Hanni Wenzel) in resemblance, is now also
on her...tracks.
For sure with parents such hers...
As for the "azzurre" (the Italian girl's team), they're doing poorly, but, considered that
no one can aspire to a cup (not even a specialty one, least the overall), better to
win a race (like Merighetti did) than to continuously place oneself just below the
podium (from 4th to 10th)

As to the question: "How popular is she?"
Well check this out, I'd say quite a bit, and not only in the german speaking countries, but also in Italy...

http://video.gazzetta.it/polivalente-sciatrice-statunitense-divorzia-marito-si-racconta-prossimo-numero-sportweek/fdcf4c1e-1bec-11e1-9d09-2e5522cff488

http://www.gazzetta.it/sportweek/archivio/calendario/2011/11/30_sfogliatore.shtml
(I bought the mag above...)
post #3 of 25

Schöne, schnelle und sehr beliebt. Was ist daran nicht mögen?

 

I saw quite a few ads with Lindsey Vonn in them while in Europe last year. She probbaly makes most of her dough from Euro marketing campaigns, than here in the states.

post #4 of 25
Thread Starter 

 

Thanks Nobody,

Classic Italian.

Quote:
There are simply no words apt to describe today's unrivalled feat by the American
champion.
If it weren't that saying so could be an insult to her undoubted beauty and
femininity, we would say that she has skied like a man!

 

What about Julia Mancuso, I know she was a big hit in Torino in '06.  Has she been eclipsed even in Italy?

btw, why are they waving Swiss flags when Lindsey finishes?

post #5 of 25

She always struck me as overly aggressive and 'pumped up'. I think the best thing I saw at the last winter olympics was Maria Reisch winning the combined slalom. She just made everyone else look like amateurs, just an absolutely faultless performance.

post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

 

Thanks Nobody,

Classic Italian.

 

What about Julia Mancuso, I know she was a big hit in Torino in '06.  Has she been eclipsed even in Italy?

btw, why are they waving Swiss flags when Lindsey finishes?


Well, Julia is still a big hit, somehow with her being of Italian ascent (she's on "sci" magazine of this month, IIRC)...
But..I guess that the italian press went with the wind and...voilà...Vonn.
Personally, I am not that crazy about Vonn or, better, the way she's been presented in the press here but undoubtedly, she's the one to beat and technically she is simply skiing a notch (or two)
above all the others, in this particular period of time.
post #7 of 25

One thing why Americans are so popular here is their attitude and behavior. Sure you guys are a bit more open, but main thing is, you know how to do business. Let's leave Lindsey aside a bit. She's been in this long enough, that she could learn by now how to behave (if she wouldn't know it already anyway). But when I saw in Lienz Mikaela Shiffrin on press conference after placing third in slalom... I was like "wtf!! She's 16, it's first real press conference in her life! And she's like she would be winning WC for 20 years". If I wouldn't be looking at her (I sent my photos by that time so I had enough time :)), I would bet she was Lindsey. Same attitude, same behavior, same laughing voice. With behavior like this, you can't do anything else then like them. And somehow I have feeling it doesn't come natural, because every single US skier is same. ;)

So that's one of main reasons why they are popular. Austrian girls drive tractors around, and speak such "german" that noone understands them, not to mention it's somehow forbidden to be smiling. Then you have Maze, who has problems doing anything besides skiing. And on the other side you have Lindsey, Jules and now Mikaela who are always smiling and happy (at least when cameras are around, when not they are "normal" too), always ready to do anything you ask, even if things go wrong. So still wondering why they are so popular?
PS: Sorry I don't speak Italian, at least not much more then I need to order food and beer, so I couldn't translate that no matter what biggrin.gif

post #8 of 25
Thread Starter 

Sorry primoz, I confuse your user name with prickly.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by primoz View Post

One thing why Americans are so popular here is their attitude and behavior. Sure you guys are a bit more open, but main thing is, you know how to do business. Let's leave Lindsey aside a bit. She's been in this long enough, that she could learn by now how to behave (if she wouldn't know it already anyway). But when I saw in Lienz Mikaela Shiffrin on press conference after placing third in slalom... I was like "wtf!! She's 16, it's first real press conference in her life! And she's like she would be winning WC for 20 years". If I wouldn't be looking at her (I sent my photos by that time so I had enough time :)), I would bet she was Lindsey. Same attitude, same behavior, same laughing voice. With behavior like this, you can't do anything else then like them. And somehow I have feeling it doesn't come natural, because every single US skier is same. ;)

 

So that's one of main reasons why they are popular. Austrian girls drive tractors around, and speak such "german" that noone understands them, not to mention it's somehow forbidden to be smiling. Then you have Maze, who has problems doing anything besides skiing. And on the other side you have Lindsey, Jules and now Mikaela who are always smiling and happy (at least when cameras are around, when not they are "normal" too), always ready to do anything you ask, even if things go wrong. So still wondering why they are so popular?
PS: Sorry I don't speak Italian, at least not much more then I need to order food and beer, so I couldn't translate that no matter what biggrin.gif

 

Well we have stuff like "American Idol" and endless reality shows now.  Plus everyone has to post their entire lives on facebook.  So one grows up now I guess, esp if you're a good looking girl, with a relationship to the camera and making "public" statements.

 Maybe the us team prepared Shiffrin for the conferences too.

 

Lindsay and Julia driving tractors? - on the beach?  hmmm...maybe the next SI swimsuit issue?

Tina Maze has problems doing anything but skiing? Perhaps this off season they should send her over here. We'd love to have her. Should do a reality show.

post #9 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tog View Post
Maybe the us team prepared Shiffrin for the conferences too.

That's what I was trying to tell. Ok maybe I'm wrong, but when you look how US skiers act on press conferences and how they deal with media (even when they are 16!!) I would say, they are prepared... well prepared. And it's right thing to do. Interaction with media is part of job, if someone like it or not. Nowadays it's not just about skiing... hell skiing is just small part of this business, main thing is how you handle media and public opinion. And in this, US guys and girls are leading big time ;)

post #10 of 25
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
As to the question: "How popular is she?"

Well check this out, I'd say quite a bit, and not only in the german speaking countries, but also in Italy...

 

That Sportweek Italian magazine is like the Maxim of ski mags. Girls in bikinis on skis, skates, boots, you name it.

Maybe that's a viable business model in the US given that Ski and Skiing have plummeted afik.

 

post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

Quote:

 

That Sportweek Italian magazine is like the Maxim of ski mags. Girls in bikinis on skis, skates, boots, you name it.

Maybe that's a viable business model in the US given that Ski and Skiing have plummeted afik.

 



They've plummeted because they provide little to no content.  Ski Journal rocks. I'd rather have a great and more expensive quarterly than 7 months of Ski and Skiing.

post #12 of 25
Thread Starter 

No content? Come on, with 3 month lead times and  constantly stating the obvious? What about all the smiling photos? Where else will you find the ads in print?   rolleyes.gif

 

Agree about Ski Journal, great publication with real content and fabulous pictures.  MtBakerSkier, a poster here, is one of the main photographers.

Also, Skiing Heritage Journal is very good with more historical bent. You can see back issues on google books.

post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

Quote:

 

That Sportweek Italian magazine is like the Maxim of ski mags. Girls in bikinis on skis, skates, boots, you name it.

Maybe that's a viable business model in the US given that Ski and Skiing have plummeted afik.

 


It stems from the "Gazzetta dello sport" a dayly newspaper that dela sonly with sports.
Unfortunately it's one of the few "general sport magazines" that covers not only football,football,football (soccer to you guys) but form time to time, other sports as well.
To that reason, it needs to "pimp" and advertise the other sports anyway it can...
Blonde, American, winner in a sport that, if not "popular" (in the sense of followed by 97% of the Italians) it's at least known to most of the population ...she's got has all that is needed to "drive" (or hopefully "attract") people to the Alpine skiing discipline...
post #14 of 25

I was at the Lienz race in December (with my US flag of course!  biggrin.gif).  Out of all the US competitors there, Lindsey was the only one that the local crowd cheered for.  Perhaps this tells you that she's indeed quite popular.  I guess, other than the home favors of Austria, Lindsey got more cheers than most other competitors. 

 

Then after lunch before the afternoon race started, Lindsey appeared before the start line (I guess she was just passing by).  Immediately, she was surrounded by all the kids and adults asking for autographs!  I tried it too, but didn't manage to squeeze in to get one frown.gif...

post #15 of 25

Is it possible most skiers in the USA are clueless about ski racing (outside of NBC's delayed and overly ediited Olympic coverage), while the Europeans are far more knowledgeable?  Is is also possible Vonn is so dominating (Tina Maze is 2nd in overall standings with I think only one win) that she is now has rock star status in front of the world's most knowledgeable ski racing fans?   I don't think the Europeans got down on Bode the way the US press did, and they like Lindsey for the same reason: Europeans appreciate racing talent. 

 

In terms of being prepared for a press conference...that is something any agent or team can do simply by hiring a trainer for a few hours.  Just compliment the local fans, the competitors, your team,etc. and be nice.  Endorsements will follow.

post #16 of 25
Thread Starter 

It's very cold in Garmisch for the downhill, super g. -10F, -15C.

Elisabeth Goergl was fastest in training today.

 

 

Austria's Goergl fastest in Garmisch downhill training

Quote: Associated Press  http://www.universalsports.com/news-blogs/article/newsid=578356.html#austrias+goergl+fastest+garmisch+downhill+training

GARMISCH-PARTENKIRCHEN, Germany (AP) - Elisabeth Goergl of Austria clocked the fastest time in final training on Friday for a women's downhill on the Kandahar course where she won two gold medals at last year's world championships.

Goergl won the downhill and super-G titles last year and looks set to repeat this weekend. The Austrian beat Stacey Cook of the United States and Marie Marchand-Arvier of France by 0.24 seconds.

Many skiers wore masks and heavier training suits to deal with a temperature of minus-15 Celsius (-10 F).

World Cup leader Lindsey Vonn of the United States took it easy and finished 18th. Vonn is looking for her 50th World Cup win.

Photos: Reuters:

http://www.universalsports.com/photos/galleryid=578266.html#2012+alpine+world+cup+garmisch+womens+dh+training

 

 

Austria's Elisabeth Goergl speeds down the slope during a training run for the women's Alpine Skiing World Cup Downhill race on the Kandahar course in Garmisch-Partenkirchen February 3, 2012.

578400_M23.jpg

 

 

Julia Mancuso:

 

578404_M23.jpg

 

Lindsey Vonn of the U.S. speeds down during the first practice of the women's Alpine Skiing World Cup Downhill race on the Kandahar course in Garmisch-Partenkirchen February 2, 2012.

578269_M23.jpg

 

Neck Warmers!

Lindsey

578403_M23.jpg

 

Maria Hoefl-Riesch:

578389_M23.jpg

post #17 of 25

She is a little more popular after the downhill today.  Winning 50 times is incredible, but I don't see mention of the feat on the US sports channels.

post #18 of 25

Great post.  Love seeing all the Olympic racers.  Went to Vancouver in 2010 and it was amazing

post #19 of 25

Yes, our Football,baseball basketball myopia is pathetic.  Lindsey is amazing.

post #20 of 25
Thread Starter 

Yeah they'd pretty much have to be skiing off the roof in Indianapolis where the Super Bowl is for it to be covered.

50 wins is truly incredible.

 

This was posted in another thread. Lindsey at around 37:00. It's interesting seeing the different racers for the first 15 sec split. Some really nailed the start, others were already 7 tenths back. Wonder if part of that was the wax. Junior racers should note the neckwarmers .

Originally Posted by quant2325 View Post

...3 US skiers in the top 10 and no one notices?

 

Rank

Bib

FIS Code

Name

Year

Nation

Total Time

FIS Points

1

17

537544

VONN Lindsey

1984

USA

1:44.86

0.00

2

3

515806

KAMER Nadja

1986

SUI

1:45.27

5.20

3

20

355050

WEIRATHER Tina

1989

LIE

1:45.65

10.02

4

22

206001

HOEFL-RIESCH Maria

1984

GER

1:45.85

12.56

5

18

296008

MERIGHETTI Daniela

1981

ITA

1:45.91

13.32

6

19

55576

GOERGL Elisabeth

1981

AUT

1:46.11

15.85

7

2

196573

REVILLET Aurelie

1986

FRA

1:46.15

16.36

8

8

196460

MARCHAND-ARVIER Marie

1985

FRA

1:46.37

19.15

9

10

537582

COOK Stacey

1984

USA

1:46.48

20.55

10

24

538573

ROSS Laurenne

1988

USA

1:46.49

20.67

 

 

 

37:00 for her run.

 

 

 

Quote: From Washington Post. http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/lindsey-vonn-wins-downhill-for-50th-world-cup-win-3rd-on-career-list/2012/02/04/gIQAGoa1oQ_story.html

 

Fabulous at 50: Lindsey Vonn wins downhill for 50th World Cup win, 3rd on career list

By Associated Press, Published: February 4, 2012

 

GARMISCH-PARTENKIRCHEN, Germany — A career milestone and a rare family reunion. All of which left Lindsey Vonn in tears, and it made for a perfect day.

Vonn captured her 50th World Cup victory Saturday, winning the downhill on the demanding Kandahar course with temperatures plunging to minus 13.

 

Vonn captured her 50th World Cup career victory by winning the downhill on the demanding Kandahar course on Saturday. The American is third on the all-time list, behind Annemarie Moser-Proell of Austria with 62 victories and Vreni Schneider of Switzerland with 55. Vonn now has 25 downhill wins, second behind Moser-Proell’s 36.

 
 

“It’s crazy. I am at a loss for words. I already cried with one of the TV crews and that is enough crying for the day,” Vonn said. “Fifty World Cup wins is a huge mark for me in my career and more than I even thought possible. I just wanted the 50th win.”

 

 

 


Edited by Tog - 2/4/12 at 9:59pm
post #21 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by quant2325 View Post
In terms of being prepared for a press conference...that is something any agent or team can do simply by hiring a trainer for a few hours.  Just compliment the local fans, the competitors, your team,etc. and be nice.  Endorsements will follow.

I know, yet noone (except for US team) thinks this is important part of the job ;)

 

post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastvillage View Post

Yes, our Football,baseball basketball myopia is pathetic.  Lindsey is amazing.


At least you've got three degrees of myopia.
Try and live in a country (or worse, a continent) that is mono-myopic like here...all you hear and see in the "so called", sport shows is soccer, soccer soccer and then again, soccer.
Back to Back monday to monday, 365/year.
post #23 of 25
Thread Starter 

I suppose three degrees of myopia helps prevent the brawling and outright physical attacks that happen at soccer games around the world.

Plus, the price of tickets has gotten out of control which always helps with fan control since you need a decent amount of disposable income to go to a game now.

 

Originally Posted by quant2325 View Post
In terms of being prepared for a press conference...that is something any agent or team can do simply by hiring a trainer for a few hours.  Just compliment the local fans, the competitors, your team,etc. and be nice.  Endorsements will follow.

You would think that is true, but reality says it is not.

Even politicians who've had years of experience can be terrible, let alone athletes who don't care much.

(What's up with Bill Bellchick? Would you hire him to endorse anything other than sleeping pills?)

 

post #24 of 25

FoxSports.com had it featured on their front page a few days ago ... I'd say it got a fair amount of coverage.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quant2325 View Post

She is a little more popular after the downhill today.  Winning 50 times is incredible, but I don't see mention of the feat on the US sports channels.



 

post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by primoz View Post

Quote:

I know, yet noone (except for US team) thinks this is important part of the job wink.gif

 


Into the January "Sci" (rivistasci.it) issue there's a piece by Ghedo (Kristian Ghedina...) discussing exactly that by the title "Impariamo...laTV" (let's learn...the TV)
Incidentally, into the same issue there's a piece on/interview with Julia Mancuso...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: International Zone
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › International Zone › How Popular is Lindsey Vonn in Europe?