EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › How does Didier Cuche kick flip his ski in the air?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How does Didier Cuche kick flip his ski in the air?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

I love how Didier Cuche kicks his ski off his foot and lets it spin around before catching it tongue.gif

 

switzerlands-didier-cuche-kicks-off-20110218-065217-088.jpg

 

Has anyone here learned this trick and was it hard to learn?  Did the ski ever hit you in the head (ouch!) while you were practicing? Even worse, hit a bystander in the head? eek.gif Any tips on how to do it?  (Stupid question: surely he must release his binding first, right?  These guys are gorillas and must have their bindings set really tight!)

post #2 of 16

I do it all the time, saw him do it once on TV and started doing it. Undo the binding, rest the heel on the heel piece, lift and kick the ski towards yourself. It's just as easy as it looks.

post #3 of 16
post #4 of 16

Do people around you a huge favor- don't do it.  Where are you trying to do this trick?  In the liftline?  Near the ski rack or lodge entrance?   There are going to be people around and let me tell you, getting kicked in the head by a flying ski is not going to make anyone happy...  The danger of doing it far outweight the show-off benefit....  

post #5 of 16

I've picked it up as well.  It's not all that difficult, It's a lot of fun... and if you do it a lot people will give you all the room you need in lift lines or in frot of the lodge.

post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by crank View Post

I've picked it up as well.  It's not all that difficult, It's a lot of fun... and if you do it a lot people will give you all the room you need in lift lines or in frot of the lodge.


In lift lines????  Where do you ski?????

 

post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexzn View PostDo people around you a huge favor- don't do it.  Where are you trying to do this trick?  In the liftline?  Near the ski rack or lodge entrance?   There are going to be people around and let me tell you, getting kicked in the head by a flying ski is not going to make anyone happy...  The danger of doing it far outweight the show-off benefit....  


Where am I going to do it?  In the finish after I win a WC race, of course!!! biggrin.gif

 

But seriously, your point is well taken.  I wouldn't do it if there was anyone near by.  Maybe even only in the backyard to shoot a video for this thread, who knows... smile.gif

 


Edited by renenkel - 1/31/12 at 9:23am
post #8 of 16

I'm practicing it in the maze, when it'ts full! I will impress many...

post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by renenkel View Post


Where am I going to do it?  In the finish after I win a WC race, of course!!! biggrin.gif

 

But seriously, your point is well taken.  I wouldn't do it if there was anyone near by.  Maybe even only in the backyard to shoot a video for this thread, who knows... smile.gif

 



I will only be impressed to see it done following a men's downhillth_dunno-1[1].gif

post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post



I will only be impressed to see it done following a men's downhillth_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif


 

...in Tele boots.

 

post #11 of 16
I love the kicker at the end lol
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Originally Posted by crgildart View PostI will only be impressed to see it done following a men's downhillth_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post...in Tele boots.

It's not a DH, it's a GS, and they're not Tele boots, but they are bear-trap bindings and 1930's vintage wooden skis, and he does kick-flip his ski at the end!!! tongue.gif

 

Didier Cuche epic last race - Giant Slalom Schladming - FIS WC 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw52njY6KHw

post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by renenkel View Post

It's not a DH, it's a GS, and they're not Tele boots, but they are bear-trap bindings and 1930's vintage wooden skis, and he does kick-flip his ski at the end!!! tongue.gif

 

Didier Cuche epic last race - Giant Slalom Schladming - FIS WC 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw52njY6KHw

 

That is the embodiment of badass right there.

post #14 of 16
I am so going to miss him!
post #15 of 16

I like how even the announcers are clapping when he does the ski flip with the retro gear. Love watching that last race, amazing athlete and sportsman.

post #16 of 16

Easy as pie!!!

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › How does Didier Cuche kick flip his ski in the air?