Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Ski helmets for narrow (oval) head Last post on 11/11/14 at 8:14am in Ski Gear Discussion
- ski helmet questions [buying in the flatlands, sunglasses] Last post on 11/12/14 at 1:12pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Would you wear a helmet if only for convenience? Last post on 12/8/11 at 9:37am in Après-Ski
- OMG I bought a helmet Last post on 11/29/11 at 6:21pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Replacing helmets because of age? Last post on 9/22/11 at 2:57pm in Après-Ski
Marker Protective Snow Equipment
Last edited: 6/10/16
- Helmet Effectiveness ResearchLast edited: 4/25/11
- Back Home in the Jackson BackcountryLast edited: 9/12/16
- Alaska Heli Skiing Trip ReportLast edited: 4/26/11
- Jackson Hole Guide To Skiing Jackson Hole Mountain ResortLast edited: 10/25/11
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Helmets Are Essentially Worthless? - Page 8post #211 of 2443/20/13 at 4:46pmpost #212 of 2443/20/13 at 8:05pmQuote:
Calling brain trauma a fat lip pretty much states the case of the anti-helmet crowd. 30-50% effectiveness in preventing serious head injury is a solid stat, one worth acting on by regulators.post #213 of 2443/20/13 at 8:19pmpost #214 of 2443/20/13 at 8:50pmpost #215 of 2443/20/13 at 8:58pmpost #216 of 2443/20/13 at 9:15pm
Could we at least go upthread and read the many links to Canadian Medical Association Journal. Links appear in blue on EpicSki. You click them and they will open a new window and load the link url. The Canadian Medical Association Journal page will provide links to other sources of medical research data on ski helmets. The links will look blue. Good luck on the intertubes.post #217 of 2448/21/13 at 10:03pmpost #218 of 2448/21/13 at 11:52pmpost #219 of 2448/22/13 at 4:47ampost #220 of 2448/22/13 at 4:55ampost #221 of 2448/22/13 at 10:31pmpost #222 of 2448/22/13 at 10:47pmpost #223 of 2442/27/14 at 3:27pm
Ok, firing up this helmet thread instead of starting anew.
Heard a story on Npr the other day about helmets. Saw no spike in the North American helmet thread postings monitor, so.....
Hear the story here:
Fred Bever, of member station WBUR reports.Quote:
DR. JASPER SHEALY: We've come to several conclusions. One is that a helmet is not a panacea.
BEVER: That scientific bottom-line comes from Dr. Jasper Shealy, an international expert in winter sports safety. For 40 years, Shealy's been part of a comprehensive study of every snow injury reported at the Sugarbush ski area in Vermont. At first, it seemed that helmets weren't making a difference with the more serious injuries. But now, Shealy says he is seeing some encouraging signs.
SHEALY: Only in the last, oh, five or six years have we finally seen a reduction in what we call a potentially serious head injury.
BEVER: Shealy says such injuries have fallen by a remarkable 64 percent at Sugarbush, where almost all mountain visitors now wear a helmet. Shealy conjectures that it's only recently that the riskiest skiers who need helmets the most - young men - are consistently wearing them. It could be that their parents required them to put a lid on it back when they were first learning, and the habit stuck.
If anyone finds a link to said Sugarbush Study please post it. We might be able to find it underneath the dripping flames.post #224 of 2444/30/14 at 1:23pm
Time to bump a helmet thread since the stretch pants thread has decayed in to fake jeans. There are actually schools here in NC that are telling parents and kids that the kids can bring helmets to school this week with the significant threat of severe weather. The idea is that huddled in the hall against the wall with a helmet on when a tornado hits increases the odds of survival over huddling in the hall without a helmet.
That said, we keep old helmets in the safe area of our home where we go for tornado warnings for that same purpose. We were there with the helmets on at 5am this morning during tornado warming.post #225 of 2444/30/14 at 2:11pmpost #226 of 2444/30/14 at 2:13pm
Well put. Any extra protection is good protection especially when its easy to use and doesn't cause other problems.
crgildart, don't wish your situation on anyone. Best of luck and keep your heads down.post #227 of 2446/1/14 at 9:32amQuote:
What's the problem with being called a "Helmet Aficionado"?post #228 of 2446/1/14 at 11:39ampost #229 of 2446/3/14 at 9:27am
Just to stoke the embers - here's a neurosurgeon doing the gob for hire on the original premise (possibly reporting biases acknowledged)post #230 of 2446/3/14 at 10:00amDidn't read it, but they've always seemed useless to me as well. Flimsy things protecting you from a fall at speed on asphalt. Not really much better than nothing, IMO. And I'm a firm believer in ski helmets.post #231 of 2442/10/15 at 3:34pm
I guess Keri would disagree with you: https://www.facebook.com/keri.herman.90/photos/a.228348527326876.1073741825.142731199221943/401950926633301/?type=1&theater - I nicked my helmets in trees all the time (on my second one - first got a crack when my head met Mr. Boulder on 3rd Alley at A-Basin). Funny - I have a GoPro video of my friend, who did not believe in helmets, flat on his back after he decided to follow me into the trees (big bump and cut on his head). I NEVER met one person, skier or boarder, who was worth anything, who felt that wearing a helmet makes him/her look "scared" or "weak" - people who do worry about this kind of s... are usually ones who can't ski/board worth c..p :)post #232 of 2442/10/15 at 4:41pmpost #233 of 2442/13/15 at 11:00amQuote:Originally Posted by justPassingBy
I guess Keri would disagree with you: https://www.facebook.com/keri.herman.90/photos/a.228348527326876.1073741825.142731199221943/401950926633301/?type=1&theater - I nicked my helmets in trees all the time (on my second one - first got a crack when my head met Mr. Boulder on 3rd Alley at A-Basin). Funny - I have a GoPro video of my friend, who did not believe in helmets, flat on his back after he decided to follow me into the trees (big bump and cut on his head). I NEVER met one person, skier or boarder, who was worth anything, who felt that wearing a helmet makes him/her look "scared" or "weak" - people who do worry about this kind of s... are usually ones who can't ski/board worth c..p :)
Ahhhhh, "just passing by" to troll an 8-month old thread...post #234 of 2442/15/15 at 9:09pmpost #235 of 24411/22/15 at 3:40pm
Is there any legitimate evidence that shows that wearing a helmet reduces a skier’s probability of injury when he falls?
Why are snowboarders at ski hills allowed to cut in front of skiers at high speeds (use skiers as GS gates); jump perpendicularly onto ski runs from off piste; and do terrain-park tricks outside of terrain parks?
Why are there no skiers without helmets pictured on ski-hill web sites? Is the ski industry trying to blackmail skiers into wearing helmets by making them feel inappropriate and anti skier-safety if they do not?
Do ski hills pay ski-industry luminaries to wear helmets to show the casual skier that "real skiers" wear helmets?
Is the ski industry going to begin building bowling alleys and fun centers at ski hills? Ski hill in the 1960s = ski resort in the 1980s = winter sports and recreation complex in 2030?
Robert Redford on the set of "Downhill Racer".
Me at DLI. "You go to Nelson's hills to 'do some skiin' with some skiers'".post #236 of 24411/22/15 at 3:58pmpost #237 of 24411/22/15 at 4:02pmpost #238 of 24411/22/15 at 6:16pmpost #239 of 24411/23/15 at 12:14am
- Helmets Are Essentially Worthless?
- Helmet Effectiveness Research
- › How do i go from snow plow to a complete parallel turn? 4 minutes ago
- › Confirmed: VW bringing Golf Sportwagen Alltrack to the U.S. (for... 7 minutes ago
- › Dalbello/Intuition problem 8 minutes ago
- › Ski Instructor Demo: Short video of TDK skiing in St Anton 11 minutes ago
- › Ski Pole length question? along with decision on what ones to buy 13 minutes ago
- › Snobahn Indoor Ski and Snowboard Training Center - 3 Instructors... 24 minutes ago
- › What do you take when resort skiing? 34 minutes ago
- › EpicSki is not down - Comcast major DNS outage 38 minutes ago
- › Travel Agent t that specializes in Europe 40 minutes ago
- › WC GS Skis - Newer Dynastar Speed Course vs Older Nordica Dobermann... 58 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer