EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › Whistler Once Again (21-22 Jan)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Whistler Once Again (21-22 Jan)

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 

Back to WB again, but this time I came from FL via this place (full disclosure - this pic was taken in July, dismal weather didn't permit another this time). 250 points if you can spell it's name correctly (and for you Utards, no, it's not in Orlando rolleyes.gif). OK, it sure wasn't the fastest way to get to WB, and with a 9 hour time difference, also not the best for my body.

 

 IMG_1591.jpg

 

So the drive up the Sea-to-Sky after MANY hours in a plane wasn't the best with a LOT of snow and freezing rain coming down. The local radio station however was full of crap, talking about white-outs and other not-so-pleasent issues - the drive was OK - I'll never believe the local radio station regarding weather again!

 

So, with a powder day at hand, what did we get -

 

 

 

 

YES - LINES!

 

stitch 2.jpg

 

At the Wizard Chair when I came down from my hotel, and then on to the Garbanzo Chair:

 

IMG_6173.JPG

 

So...., to escape we fled back down to Creekside to get away from the great unwashed, but unfortunately they reopened the S-2-S that was closed in the morning, soooo:

 

IMG_6201.1.jpg

 

AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Remember, this isn't some 400 acre northleast berm, but the biggest joint in North America, but when they close down the alpine areas for winds and visibility, this is what happens.

 

Well, the Red Chair was absurd when we got to the top of the Creekside gondola, so with over 100 years combined Whistler experience, we know what to do, we'll go to the base and head up the Blackcomb Gonjola. Great plan, except:

 

IMG_6202.jpg

 

The line for the Blackcomb gondola stretched for a LONG way back.

 

All, right, only thing left to do is take our skis off and walk back over to Wizard (and / or drink heavily), so we hoofed it back over and it wasn't too bad.

 

At one point it looked like Alpinezone.com had sent some representatives to see what >600 ft vertical looked like:

 

IMG_6206.JPG

 

(Snowlerblades at WB should be considered illegal, or at least a condiserable affront to good taste)

 

So anyway, conditions were quite good, with 8-10 fresh, covering a base that hard its hard spots here-and-there. Stephen took out his new S7's for a whirl and reported favorably:

 

.1.jpg

 

Tom managed to find some fresh and enjoy himself:

 

IMG_6015.JPG

 

So anyway, it's still snowing and tomorrow will be stupendous if the alpine opens up.

post #2 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post

Back to WB again, but this time I came from FL via this place (full disclosure - this pic was taken in July, dismal weather didn't permit another this time). 250 points if you can spell it's name correctly (and for you Utards, no, it's not in Orlando rolleyes.gif). OK, it sure wasn't the fastest way to get to WB, and with a 9 hour time difference, also not the best for my body.

 

 IMG_1591.jpg

 



s'hgertenbosch?

post #3 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post



s'hgertenbosch?


Negatory

 

post #4 of 25

The reason I don't ski WB is because you mostly line up and over pay for everything. Two runs on a powder day and done has been my experience at WB. OTOH WB is a great shopping mall that you can ski at.

post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoT View Post

The reason I don't ski WB is because you mostly line up and over pay for everything. Two runs on a powder day and done has been my experience at WB. OTOH WB is a great shopping mall that you can ski at.



I agree with this somewhat, but I have had some days in equal number that the lines were short to non-existent.  However, I usually ski WB on the shoulder season more often than mid winter.  I could do without the mall part.

post #6 of 25

Yeah, the mall comment was just to stir things up a bit. But seriously for me WB is just a little too over done, over the top, but imo WB should still be on any serious skier's bucket list.

 

Most of my friends who have moved to the Squamish,WB,Pemberton area don't buy season passes anymore, instead they sled-ski the back country.

post #7 of 25
How are the lines mid week in March normally?
post #8 of 25

Lift lines should be fine except perhaps for B.C school spring break or the morning of a powder day.

post #9 of 25
Thread Starter 

So today dawned as it often does, overcast. All day it's been snowing and there's more in the forecast, so this could be a superb week.

 

Anyway, this is what 9am looked like on Blackcomb:

 

stitch 5.1.jpg

 

You gotta love having the hill to yourself.

 

So about 10am, 7th Heaven opened we were about on the 10th chair, and Tom got the goods:

 

IMG_6228.1.jpg

 

IMG_6230.1.jpg

 

Lines today were reasonable, and Symphony opened later, but the vis was (being generous) marginal. Peak chair also opened up, but again, the vis was pea soup so pictures were useless.

 

On to Tahoe next weekend.

 

 

 

post #10 of 25

I skied Blackcomb today (Monday 2 days after those photos), and it was awesome. Skied fresh all day, lift lines were kinda busy until around 11am when all the alpine chairs opened (I heard Symphony on Whistler stayed closed) . Once the alpine opened I didn't have to wait more than 5 minutes for any chair. Set two fresh lines in Spankys, blah blah blah, best day of the season so far.

 

Avoid holidays and the weekends and WB is a huge playground with plenty to go around.

 

Saturday was busy (photos above) since we had just had a week of amazing cold weather with a fair bit of snow, everyone in Vancouver came up. 

post #11 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbsr View Post

I skied Blackcomb today (Monday 2 days after those photos), and it was awesome. Skied fresh all day, lift lines were kinda busy until around 11am when all the alpine chairs opened (I heard Symphony on Whistler stayed closed) . Once the alpine opened I didn't have to wait more than 5 minutes for any chair. Set two fresh lines in Spankys, blah blah blah, best day of the season so far.

 

Avoid holidays and the weekends and WB is a huge playground with plenty to go around.

 

Saturday was busy (photos above) since we had just had a week of amazing cold weather with a fair bit of snow, everyone in Vancouver came up. 


See trip report of Jan 3-11 regarding lines, which was neither weekend nor holiday.

 

I've got 15+ years of 15-20 days a year at WB and haven't seen lines like this year, an observation shared by my buds with decades of WB experience. No doubt the miserable snow situation in Calif and Utah contribute to the situation.

 

I bet today was great. I was annoyed with myself for having to go back to Van to see customers all the way down 99 last night (all 3+ hours worth).

 

post #12 of 25

I skied WB Jan 17 to 20. No lines. skied to the lift every time. There were times when I looked around the mountain - and couldn't see anybody. I ski WB every year during christmas - so I know what WB lines look like. It was -20C the whole week. Maybe that had something to do with it.

post #13 of 25
When is BC spring break? You guys know by chance....lol
post #14 of 25

 

Quote:

I've got 15+ years of 15-20 days a year at WB and haven't seen lines like this year, an observation shared by my buds with decades of WB experience. No doubt the miserable snow situation in Calif and Utah contribute to the situation.

This is what I hear, too. Late Nov and mid December crowds were fine but I'm expecting it to be a zoo this weekend. Luckily I'm doing a camp so at least I'll get to skip lines.

post #15 of 25
Opps, replied to a joke post. That'll learn me.

 

post #16 of 25

missed the part about getting 250 points. It's Nyhaven of course, but don't think we need to do the singing about the "wonderful" town it's located in. Can I use the points at Tivoli? Or at least get some Faxe beer.

post #17 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by noncrazycanuck View Post

missed the part about getting 250 points. It's Nyhaven of course, but don't think we need to do the singing about the "wonderful" town it's located in. Can I use the points at Tivoli? Or at least get some Faxe beer.


Well it's Nyhavn spelled correctly, but you're close enough. If you're there from 1-11 March, the 250 points will get you a beer at GLC.

 

post #18 of 25

Older post but:

 

1) First pic is in Copenhagen, Denmark (can't remember the name of that area, walked over that bridge in the summer)

 

2) I believe your first day was a big powder day after a cold/dry spell, and also Excalibur (Blackcomb) gondola was down for the first hour then running half speed.

 

3) Never ever ski back to the base like you did twice, just get up, once you make a choice stick with it, it rarely pays to ski back down, especially on busy days since the line-ups do not let up until after 11am as more and more people come up from the city and out of the hotels.

post #19 of 25

3) Never ever ski back to the base like you did twice, just get up, once you make a choice stick with it, it rarely pays to ski back down, especially on busy days since the line-ups do not let up until after 11am as more and more people come up from the city and out of the hotels.


With the exception of Creekside. Every so often I get trapped on a run on the south side and have to take it down to the base, but Creekside is rarely busy after 10:30.

post #20 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramboh View Post

 

3) Never ever ski back to the base like you did twice, just get up, once you make a choice stick with it, it rarely pays to ski back down, especially on busy days since the line-ups do not let up until after 11am as more and more people come up from the city and out of the hotels.


 

Great advice IF - the Alpine is open (including Harmony and Symphony), P2P is running, the lines for Green and Red aren't a half hour, and the snow isn't better at the bottom.

 

Otherwise, not so great.

post #21 of 25
I am going to whistler next weekend. Yeah!! Which skis should I bring.

A. Sololmon sententials
B. DPS rp112
C. Both
Thanks biggrin.gif
post #22 of 25
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by opimian View Post

I am going to whistler next weekend. Yeah!! Which skis should I bring.
A. Sololmon sententials
B. DPS rp112
C. Both
Thanks :D


I'll be there next weekend too (actually for the next two weekends). Send a PM and we can get together.

 

Bring everything you got. One never knows what Ullr may grace us with, do one.

 

With what I'm bringing up now, this is what I'll now have in terms of size sitting at WB:

 

Mythic Riders

Atomic Access

K2 ObSETHed

Kastle BMX 108

 

I can probably find something to take care of the conditions on any given day.

post #23 of 25

4 pair.... to say you have it covered would be a understatement.  

post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post


 

Great advice IF - the Alpine is open (including Harmony and Symphony), P2P is running, the lines for Green and Red aren't a half hour, and the snow isn't better at the bottom.

 

Otherwise, not so great.



In my opinion, the only times you ski back to the base are when there is a storm with low freezing levels and you get there via:

 

P2P lift-line/L'Avalanche chutes/South Side Deli

Khyber/M$ Ridge

McConkey Trees

 

Otherwise no point in ever dropping below Garbo or Excel as there is nothing that low worth skiing.

 

Looks like more snow in the forecast for this weekend, bring big skis! Could be a wet cycle.

post #25 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramboh View Post



In my opinion, the only times you ski back to the base are when there is a storm with low freezing levels and you get there via:

 

P2P lift-line/L'Avalanche chutes/South Side Deli

Khyber/M$ Ridge

McConkey Trees

 

Otherwise no point in ever dropping below Garbo or Excel as there is nothing that low worth skiing.

 

Looks like more snow in the forecast for this weekend, bring big skis! Could be a wet cycle.




Everyone has an opinion. Hanging with two mountain hosts and a group total of over 100 years of Whistler experience gives another viewpoint.

 

The forecast looks excellent, and either the Kastle's or ObSETHeds should handle things adequately. If not I'll go pick up something at Fanatyko..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Trip Reports
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › Whistler Once Again (21-22 Jan)