New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rock damage

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

How repairable are scrapes on the bottom of skis?  I have a good 3 inch cut in the bottom of one of mine (on their first use!), presumably from a stray rock, about 1mm deep I would estimate--more than just a surface scratch.

 

Is this sort of thing fixable?  If so how much would it cost?  Will it impact how the ski performs?

post #2 of 11
Nothing. Not worth the time to fix. Fill it with wax or ptex if you want.
post #3 of 11

First day out and that happened?! eek.gif 

 

Throw some ptex in it and get out there again.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy22 View Post

How repairable are scrapes on the bottom of skis?  I have a good 3 inch cut in the bottom of one of mine (on their first use!), presumably from a stray rock, about 1mm deep I would estimate--more than just a surface scratch.

 

Is this sort of thing fixable?  If so how much would it cost?  Will it impact how the ski performs?



 

post #4 of 11
Unless it's a core shot, worry about it when you get the chance to fix is. Ptex candles work alright, clean area with base clean, heat the area with either an iron or hair dry to help with adhesion, then drip (stay close to base to prevent carbon buildup), let cool (not outside), metal scrapper from middle of repair to prevent pulling out the ptex.

Like I said, unless it's a deep gouge or core shot it's not worth worrying about and won't effect your skiing.
post #5 of 11

OP you do not need perfect bases. All my skis have some sort of inperfections in them the Ptex. It doesn't affect the way the skis ski. You have to have a lot of damage to feel it.

 

The important thing is to keep them waxed.

post #6 of 11
This is like car forums, where new first time car owners freak out on their first ding. My advice is dont worry about it, wait until you accumulate a bunch as well as some edge damage, then just take it in for a tune, a tune isn't thaaat expensive (once you factor it over all your dings).

A good tune shop "should" be able to use better ptex tools available and better skills then either your or my noobness have access to.

Just like touchup paint for a car, this is bit of an art form, have the pros do it and you can avoid making things worse if you mess it up.
Edited by raytseng - 1/20/12 at 8:36pm
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytseng View Post

This is like car forums, where new first time car owners freak out on their first ding. My advice is dont worry about it, wait until you accumulate a bunch as well as some edge damage, then just take it in for a tune, a tune isn't thaaat expensive (once you factor it over all your dings).
A good tune shop "should" be able to use better ptex tools available and better skills then either your or my noobness have access to.

Just like touchup paint for a car, this is bit of an art form, have the pros do it and you can avoid making things worse if you mess it up.


Indeed I'm sure it sounds that way.  I have never owned skis but skied off and on many times growing up, depending on where we lived.  I would put myself at a level 6.5/9.


I realize they're made to be used and will get gouges... The main reason I'm asking is I ended up buying my Head Titans a little short (163), and was hoping maybe I could resell them and buy the right length next season.  I'm guessing gouges aren't great for resell value, that's all.

 

Thanks for the tips!  I'll have it professionally done eventually... not going to be attempting it myself.  Definitely a bummer to have it happen on the first use of a 1000 dollar ski though.  Oh well.
 

 

post #8 of 11

How do you address light damage to ski base edges vs side edges?  Skis are new.

 

I have diamonds and stones SVST, but no base edge guides or files.

post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmourati View Post

How do you address light damage to ski base edges vs side edges?  Skis are new.

 

I have diamonds and stones SVST, but no base edge guides or files.

This is the slight dmg thread.


You don't.  if there's stuff hanging down that will drag, file that off.  otherwise just leave it, until you want to go in for the tune that includes base grind and base angles..

 

keep things in perspective, if you have a 1.8cm long messed up part on your 180cm ski, it is only affecting 1% of your edge length (roughly).

post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytseng View Post

This is the slight dmg thread.


You don't.  if there's stuff hanging down that will drag, file that off.  otherwise just leave it, until you want to go in for the tune that includes base grind and base angles..

 

keep things in perspective, if you have a 1.8cm long messed up part on your 180cm ski, it is only affecting 1% of your edge length (roughly).

I just hit side edges with the diamond file progression 100>200>400 moonflex.  Some raspiness to start but sounding and feeling much better after.  Firat time the skis have seen any edge work.

 

They are new so still getting used to how much edge hold these skis provide and want to keep them running optimally for an upcoming trip.

 

 

Wax is locked and loaded.  Friday: Jackson.

post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmourati View Post

How do you address light damage to ski base edges vs side edges?  Skis are new.

 

I have diamonds and stones SVST, but no base edge guides or files.

 



Wet Arkansas stone to remove the case hardened edges and burrs.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs