or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Dumb Ways to Ruin a Ski Trip!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dumb Ways to Ruin a Ski Trip! - Page 2

post #31 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes429 View Post

So I decided to take a ride up to Sugar Mountain, NC this morning to get in a day of skiing.  About an hour into the trip, I was doing a mental checklist of the gear I brought with me.  To my great dismay, I HAD FORGOTTEN MY SKI JACKET eek.gif !!!   Since I had not brought any extra layers with me, I turned around and headed back home ... I will try again tomorrow.

 

Fortunately, this was only a day trip, but it got me thinking about other dumb ways you could ruin a ski trip ... any good stories out there?  If you can't laugh at yourself, what's the point?



You decided to go to Sugar Mountain.  That is a mistake that cannot be overcome.

post #32 of 99

^haters gonna hate

post #33 of 99

1.  Too many libations and the resulting nausea issues the next day cost of day of skiing on a trip.  Only did this once.

 

2.  Not me, but was watching a guy unload his stuff at a ski condo.  Steps were icy, and he went down hard.  His wrist was obviously broken.  Nearest hospital was over an hour away.  Not a good start to a ski tip.

 

3.  Had a friend who went to the mountain to ski, pull his boots out of this boot bag, except they are not his boots.  Has to rent boots.  Has a rough time in rental boots.  Turns out, at the end of the prior ski season, the last time he skied with a group, he grabbed the wrong ski boot bag (identical to his, except for the boots).  Guess maybe he should have aired out the boots and checked them, but he just set them in the basement and found out about them on his first trip of the next season.  He did get his boots back from the guy that had them, but the guy that had them bought some new boots since he had sent out an email after the boot bag switch trip, but my friend did not see or respond to the email and did not realized he had the other guys boots until the next season.

post #34 of 99
Christmas morning on our way to the slopes (first time our family skied on Christmas). Realized about 30 minutes into our hour and a half journey that we had locked the rack, but forgotten the key. My Dad was not happy (nor was I since I was missing out on skiing time), but I haven't forgotten my rack key in the 25 years since.
post #35 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH&E View Post



You decided to go to Sugar Mountain.  That is a mistake that cannot be overcome.



Ya, 5,000' ele really sucks compared to everything else East of the Mississippirolleyes.gif

post #36 of 99

I have to find a picture of this.  I forgot my jacket to sugarbush a few years back during a january trip.  I seldom where a jacket unless temps fall below 10, a fleece does me fine.  Unfortunately it was cold so I came up with a great idea (NOT).  I wore a garbage bag underneath my fleece which did a great job of cutting the wind BUT once I started to sweat, it held the moisture in.

 

That didn't stop me from some good skiing!

post #37 of 99

One of my friends asked her son to put her equipment in the car.  Turns out he grabbed his sister's boots by mistake.  (She was running a little late when I showed up at their house to drive up together.)  We discovered this when we arrived at the hill.  Oops.

post #38 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes429 View Post

 To my great dismay, I HAD FORGOTTEN MY SKI JACKET eek.gif !!!

 

I'm pretty sure Josh has pictures of me skiing in Khakis - yup, I forgot my pants.

post #39 of 99

The first epic GTG at Squaw Lars gave me a ride and he had this bag that had compartments for his boots, cloths and everything. I was so impressed that I found and bought one for myself and wife. 

 

A few seasons back I was learning the art of board. Finished beating myself up for the day; took off all the clothes etc and drove off with the snowboard sitting in the parking lot. Called the resort and some kind person had taken it to the concierge.

 

another time my season pass fell off and I couldn't find it. Turned up when I moved the car and somebody saw it and waved me down.

 

life moves on

post #40 of 99

I don't think I've ever let anything ruin a ski trip, entirely.  But the first time I took Terry with me on a ski trip he had issues with altitude that were pretty significant and I spent much of the day worrying about him and didn't let myself enjoy the day.  

 

 

post #41 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidding View Post

3.  Had a friend who went to the mountain to ski, pull his boots out of this boot bag, except they are not his boots.  Has to rent boots.  Has a rough time in rental boots.  Turns out, at the end of the prior ski season, the last time he skied with a group, he grabbed the wrong ski boot bag (identical to his, except for the boots).  Guess maybe he should have aired out the boots and checked them, but he just set them in the basement and found out about them on his first trip of the next season.  He did get his boots back from the guy that had them, but the guy that had them bought some new boots since he had sent out an email after the boot bag switch trip, but my friend did not see or respond to the email and did not realized he had the other guys boots until the next season.

 

Very comical- should go under the MULTIPLE dumb things thread
 

 

post #42 of 99

This could be filed under " things that happen".

Thirty years back or so, I had been skiing a for a week of 40 inches of Killington powder(?). We were to hook-up with my folks and my buddy's folks down the road at Mt.Snow for 2 days..yeah, I know!

The lodge we were staying at had a policy of absolutely NO Skis or Boots in the Rooms.

You guessed it. Someone lifted my boots. I freak cause I know skiing leftover powder with tired legs would be a bitch in rental boots. So with no choice but renting a pair off I go.

God, it sucked! Slopped around for an hour or so and headed down to find better boots at the shop.

Checked back to see if maybe someone had accidentally grabbed them at the lodge. BINGO! Guess they didn't like size 11s.

So only half a day was ruined.

 

post #43 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by snokat View Post

This could be filed under " things that happen".

Thirty years back or so, I had been skiing a for a week of 40 inches of Killington powder(?). We were to hook-up with my folks and my buddy's folks down the road at Mt.Snow for 2 days..yeah, I know!

The lodge we were staying at had a policy of absolutely NO Skis or Boots in the Rooms.

You guessed it. Someone lifted my boots. I freak cause I know skiing leftover powder with tired legs would be a bitch in rental boots. So with no choice but renting a pair off I go.

God, it sucked! Slopped around for an hour or so and headed down to find better boots at the shop.

Checked back to see if maybe someone had accidentally grabbed them at the lodge. BINGO! Guess they didn't like size 11s.

So only half a day was ruined.

 

Mine are 13, size does have its benefits sometimes- Makes it hard for others to step into your bindings, but that doesn't mean they can't take your skis for a ride up the gondola http://www.epicski.com/t/83657/gaper-alert-lucky-i-have-big-feet

 

 

post #44 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryaninNC View Post

Christmas morning on our way to the slopes (first time our family skied on Christmas). Realized about 30 minutes into our hour and a half journey that we had locked the rack, but forgotten the key. My Dad was not happy (nor was I since I was missing out on skiing time), but I haven't forgotten my rack key in the 25 years since.


I have one rack key on my key chain , and a second one taped inside my glove box (big piece of duct tape), so it never gets taken out unless its an emergency

post #45 of 99

I am in the process of ruining my ski trip which departs in 5 days.  I am in an adult race league and yesterday I did not properly stretch out before the race (actually I was too busy nursing a hangover to even think about stretching out) and pulled a muscle in my lower back during my first run in Slalom.  Turned out the timing mechanism malfunctioned and I had to do a rerun.  Felt my back tightning up all the way up the lift.  Struggeled to get back to the start, Skied the headwall stiff, got late and missed a gate.  Bagged my 2nd run and took my boots off and pouted the rest of the day.

 

I am now waiting to see if my Dr will call in a script for Flexirl without me waiting 3 months  for an appt.

 

I hope it gets better before I leave for Mammoth.

 

Rick G

post #46 of 99

From the kayaking side of things, you always see people get to the put in having forgotten,  

 

1. Their Skirt

2. Their PFD

3. Their Helmet

 

at home...

 

that really ruins a trip. At least with skiing you could more than likely buy a jacket at the mountain, and of course, a helmet isnt required. :D

post #47 of 99


Felxeril is the devil...i cannot take that stuff.  That stinks though. Hope you get well soon. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickg View Post

I am in the process of ruining my ski trip which departs in 5 days.  I am in an adult race league and yesterday I did not properly stretch out before the race (actually I was too busy nursing a hangover to even think about stretching out) and pulled a muscle in my lower back during my first run in Slalom.  Turned out the timing mechanism malfunctioned and I had to do a rerun.  Felt my back tightning up all the way up the lift.  Struggeled to get back to the start, Skied the headwall stiff, got late and missed a gate.  Bagged my 2nd run and took my boots off and pouted the rest of the day.

 

I am now waiting to see if my Dr will call in a script for Flexirl without me waiting 3 months  for an appt.

 

I hope it gets better before I leave for Mammoth.

 

Rick G



 

post #48 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by WC68 View Post

From the kayaking side of things, you always see people get to the put in having forgotten,  

 

1. Their Skirt

2. Their PFD

3. Their Helmet

 

at home...

 

that really ruins a trip. At least with skiing you could more than likely buy a jacket at the mountain, and of course, a helmet isnt required. :D



Yep.

 

BC trip... forgot boots.  Drove home to get boots.  Unloaded sled, rode up 11 miles to where we were supposed to start skinning, did a beacon check.  Forgot my beacon too.  Only way I knew I had my head screwed on was that I was wearing a hat.

 

No skiing for me OR for my partner that day.  He was less than happy with me.  :(

post #49 of 99

Forgot my goggles last year on a trip to Winter Park, on a powder day. Ended up buying a new pair at noon at one of the shops on the hill. Forgot my skis yesterday when I carpooled to work on the hill with 8" of fresh, luckily a buddy coming up to ski grabbed them out of my truck. Forgot my pants once, ended up borrowing some. Forgot to bring my pants yesterday and skied in my overalls that I use for work, had to use a heat gun to melt the zipper to get out of them.

 

The worst still has to be that I brought the girlfriend and tried to teach her how to ski, the day ended in a break up.

post #50 of 99

Trip planned with a girlfriend. We were going to fly up together, she for a long weekend, me for the week. Plane broke. She couldn't reschedule and had to cancel. I left the next day and still skied, but it would have been more fun with her than without.

post #51 of 99


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC68 View Post

From the kayaking side of things, you always see people get to the put in having forgotten,  

 

1. Their Skirt

2. Their PFD

3. Their Helmet

 

 

You left out paddle!


Ever heard of the "5 things"?
 

1. Skirt

2. PFD

3. Helmet

4 paddle

5 boat

 

So far, so good. (1st season white water, about 10th sea kayakig, which I have to do a 5-1 to subtract helmet)

 

For skiing, I count only to 2:

 

1 skis

2 boot bag, which not only have boots but also gloves, goggle, socks, helmet and extra of a bunch of things.

 

I've never forget jacket, YET. Could happen though less likely.

 

I did once forgot my skis. How I never could figure out.

post #52 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryaninNC View Post

Christmas morning on our way to the slopes (first time our family skied on Christmas). Realized about 30 minutes into our hour and a half journey that we had locked the rack, but forgotten the key. My Dad was not happy (nor was I since I was missing out on skiing time), but I haven't forgotten my rack key in the 25 years since.


I just leave the rack key in the car!

 

I mean, usually what's on the rack is with me when I'm away from the car anyway. And if someone gone so far to break into my car, well, the stuff on the rack aren't the most valuable item at that point.

 

post #53 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by at_nyc View Post


I just leave the rack key in the car!

 

I mean, usually what's on the rack is with me when I'm away from the car anyway. And if someone gone so far to break into my car, well, the stuff on the rack aren't the most valuable item at that point.

 



spare box key in the console for sure!

post #54 of 99

 

Quote:

 

Brought my girlfriend

 

Just spoke to a friend who did this last week. He had a room at Crystal Mountain for two nights starting last Tuesday. For those who don't know, we had a nice dump last week and the only road in was closed from Wednesday night well into Friday day. I was all ready for tales of endless powder on their own private mountain...he tells me his girlfriend didn't like the weather...they left Wednesday without going up...

 

Who here wouldn't say "See Ya" and leave their girlfriend in the room?

post #55 of 99

The dumbest way I ever ruined a ski trip was when I checked my boots on the flight out.  

NEVER EVER CHECK YOUR SKI BOOTS!

Rental boots are practically useless, and eventually the airline will lose you luggage.

post #56 of 99

I seem to like forgetting my poles when I go skiing.  Haven't done that this year, but done it a couple of times in the past.  I've always gone and rented a pair of poles when that happened.

 

I remember as a kid when I was doing the ski club at school and wore blue jeans on the mountain crashing one night and having my jeans split in the middle.  That ended my skiing for the rest of the evening. 

post #57 of 99

I went to Killington aka The constant traffic Jam of the east- won't do that again

post #58 of 99

my bro in law didn't forget stuff but hadn't planned on skiing on a business trip to Utah.  He headed out to Snowbird lacking most everything only to pick up some 'loaners' at the lost and found.

 

They ended up giving him the coat and gloves as the coat was there since the prior season, the gloves, well, they had a lot.  He wasn't asking for the coat as he had one, but he laughed saying the guy behind the counter insisted he needed one as the one he had was too ugly.  Both were pretty nice ones which he continued to use for years.

post #59 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowyphil65 View Post

Forgot my goggles last year on a trip to Winter Park, on a powder day. Ended up buying a new pair at noon at one of the shops on the hill. Forgot my skis yesterday when I carpooled to work on the hill with 8" of fresh, luckily a buddy coming up to ski grabbed them out of my truck. Forgot my pants once, ended up borrowing some. Forgot to bring my pants yesterday and skied in my overalls that I use for work, had to use a heat gun to melt the zipper to get out of them.

 

The worst still has to be that I brought the girlfriend and tried to teach her how to ski, the day ended in a break up.

This is not a mistake.  It's "integration testing."

Aren't you glad you did it?

post #60 of 99


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognito View Post

[re: teaching gf leading to breakup]

 

This is not a mistake.  It's "integration testing."

Aren't you glad you did it?


I've literally taught the 'my boyfriend tried to teach me this morning and it didn't go so well' afternoon lesson.  Trust me on this one -- leave teaching the SO to the pros.

 

Quote:
...another time my season pass fell off and I couldn't find it. Turned up when I moved the car and somebody saw it and waved me down.

 

In Utah a couple years ago, my 4-day pass went missing in the lodge... at the end of day 1.  I think I dropped it and someone swiped it, though there is a slim chance it fell out of an interior pocket on the last run.  Nonfatal, but expensive.

 

(PSA: if you buy one of those Utah passes, they cannot replace it from just your order confirmation info, but they CAN replace it if you have the serial number from the actual card they gave you.  So if you get one, copy down all the numbers from the card in case you lose the physical pass.)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Dumb Ways to Ruin a Ski Trip!