EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › RK Heliski, Panorama BC - January 14th
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RK Heliski, Panorama BC - January 14th

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

Sure lucked out on conditions. I booked a day up at RK last November during a special, and just happened to pick this past Sunday, January 14th because that weekend fit into my schedule.

 

Drove up and arrived at Panorama about 8pm the night before and checked in just as the snow started. Snowed all night and picked up 40cm overnight! Arrived at RK around 8am and got provided breakfast, met the guides, safety stuff. On the heli by 10am and skiing by 10:15am. Conditions were epic, snowing hard all day on top of the 40cm overnight. Avy danger was high and clouds were low, so we stuck in the alpine. Terrain ramped up in pitch throughout the day, eventually skiing some 45 degree slopes that did produce some significant sluffing. I had bought a 5 run package, but we were skiing fast as a group and they threw in an extra run for free. The rest of my group (mostly college students (mags?) from Montana) opted to buy one more run, and after that there was room for just one more on another trip flying that day. I being the lucky one, got to finish out the day with them, getting in 9 runs total for an estimated 30k vert!

 

Afterwards celebrated the day with the guests and guides in the bar with shot skis and lots of grins. This was my first time heli-skiing (catskiing regular) and I thoroughly enjoyed every part of it.

 

Skied the resort the next day. About 17cm fresh on top of firm snow. Panorama is a large mountain (4000ft vert) and it sure takes awhile to get to the top. 2 high speed quads and a fixed grip. Happened to be two-thirds the way up when they switched the sign opening Tayton Bowl. Immediately headed that way and hiked my way out to the very end of Never-Never Land. (I think I was still on a 'heli-high' and none of this terrain I passed by looked suitable.) Skiing was fairly good for the top 800 ft or so, then the rain event a week or two ago showed up. Very long run out from Tayton bowl. I think the entire lap took well over an hour.

 

 

I love BC:

 

 

canadaavybeacons.jpg

 

Ride for the day:

 

rkheli.jpg

 

POV from my day with RK heliski:

 

 

(Sorry about the ticking noise. Seems like the GoPro was rattling in the enclosure? Any tips?)

post #2 of 18

Sweet!

Perfect timing, looks like you got the best weekend of the season so far! drool.gif

post #3 of 18

Nice, Mike!!  Looked like a great day.  I also liked the tip-to-tree hook at about 5:05!

post #4 of 18

RK does a good job .

post #5 of 18

Good skiing, video and you are quick in the trees.  Thanks Mike. Nice seeing a preview of my trip.

post #6 of 18

Nice video - nice skiing.  That looked like a lot of fun.

post #7 of 18

I skied with the RK gang a few years back, highly recommend them. Panorama is a huge hill, great skiing when they have snow.

 

post #8 of 18

Sounds like a great trip! Were you using the white rubber piece for the go-pro. I found that when that piece is not used, the mount will rattle and make that sound. 

post #9 of 18

That was a great video.  Sometimes I like videos without the added musical soundtrack.  Just getting to hear the snow and the stillness is kind of cool.

 

You make it look smooth and easy!  Would you say that it was difficult or challenging for you?

post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by spknmike View Post

 

(Sorry about the ticking noise. Seems like the GoPro was rattling in the enclosure? Any tips?)



Place electrical tabe between the mounting pieces.  Sound caused by motion on the mounting.

 

post #11 of 18
Thread Starter 

     Quote:

Originally Posted by soundrulz View Post



Place electrical tabe between the mounting pieces.  Sound caused by motion on the mounting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyoCO View Post

Sounds like a great trip! Were you using the white rubber piece for the go-pro. I found that when that piece is not used, the mount will rattle and make that sound. 

 

Thanks for the tips. I'll try snugging up the mount next time around.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiRider View Post

That was a great video.  Sometimes I like videos without the added musical soundtrack.  Just getting to hear the snow and the stillness is kind of cool.

 

You make it look smooth and easy!  Would you say that it was difficult or challenging for you?


Thanks! The snow conditions were really great that day, so it was pretty predictable skiing.

 

post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post

Nice, Mike!!  Looked like a great day.  I also liked the tip-to-tree hook at about 5:05!

 

Sometimes while in the air you just know "this isn't going to end well". biggrin.gif

post #13 of 18

Enjoyed your video - Showed it to my wife and kids who have never been heliskiing before.  Unfortunately, it convinced my wife that she would not want to heliski, but my daughter thought it would be great. 

 

RK does a good job, even in dicey weather.  Looks like you stayed low due to upper level visibility .

post #14 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by spknmike View Post

 

Sometimes while in the air you just know "this isn't going to end well". biggrin.gif


As you probably know, you never get hurt in the air....smile.gif

 

post #15 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianskier View Post

Enjoyed your video - Showed it to my wife and kids who have never been heliskiing before.  Unfortunately, it convinced my wife that she would not want to heliski, but my daughter thought it would be great. 

 

RK does a good job, even in dicey weather.  Looks like you stayed low due to upper level visibility .


 

They do 3 run trips for intermediates or hesitant first-timers. Terrain is also selected based on group ability. (my group was adv/expert).

 

We did stay low, no visibility with the heavy snow to land on any mountain tops. I heard they did get in some glacier skiing the day before, but said it was affected by some wind crust.. great views but poor skiing.

post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by spknmike View Post


 

They do 3 run trips for intermediates or hesitant first-timers. Terrain is also selected based on group ability. (my group was adv/expert).

 

We did stay low, no visibility with the heavy snow to land on any mountain tops. I heard they did get in some glacier skiing the day before, but said it was affected by some wind crust.. great views but poor skiing.


The tree skiing with RK can be really, really good, especially the east facing slopes off Jumbo Pass.  Hopefully you can go again and get up high into some of the above tree line terrain. 

 

I doubt that I'll ever get my wife to join me heliskiing and I don't believe that I would enjoy the terrain that she could ski. frown.gif

post #17 of 18
Thread Starter 

Found this video posted by the college guys from Montana.

 

Different perspective on the same day, their video has much more polish. haha ;)

 

post #18 of 18

Both videos are nice, I looked at yours before, right after that I called my wife and tried to explain to her how important it is for me to have one of those days at least once per year! I

The second video is very nice as well, man, it is addictive even if you are just watching the video on the comp screen, I can only imagine how it feels actually doing it! 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Trip Reports
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › RK Heliski, Panorama BC - January 14th