or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Any takes on Kjus ski wear?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any takes on Kjus ski wear? - Page 10

post #271 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Momma View Post
 

 It's all about having fun and playing w/ the fashions. Get in touch w/ your inner female and lighten up on us Posers! :)

 

Well, I'd love to get in touch with my inner Heidi Klum, but my inner Nina Garcia is just harsh.

post #272 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

You got this on eBay? How do we know it's not a knock off?

...and for $135, how do we know it wasn't stolen in the first place? And for all that, we're expecting the company to fully warrantee a second hand jacket, and if they don't, we're going to trash the company on the Internet? No offense q, but I'm not quite on board with the ethics of the whole deal. For the sake of karma, I'd be inclined to file it in the 'pennies wise, pounds foolish' bin.
post #273 of 296
Kjus may be great stuff, but can it tell time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad?
post #274 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by markojp View Post

...and for $135, how do we know it wasn't stolen in the first place? And for all that, we're expecting the company to fully warrantee a second hand jacket, and if they don't, we're going to trash the company on the Internet? No offense q, but I'm not quite on board with the ethics of the whole deal. For the sake of karma, I'd be inclined to file it in the 'pennies wise, pounds foolish' bin.


Oops... Old thread. File under 'water over the dam'.
post #275 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post

Kjus may be great stuff, but can it tell time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad?

 

Meh, any Android phone can do that.    Of course, iphones fit the image better but then apple would sue.

post #276 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post

Kjus may be great stuff, but can it tell time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post
 

 

Meh, any Android phone can do that.    Of course, iphones fit the image better but then apple would sue.

 

Kjus skiwear is overpriced and reminds me of this scene from Trading Places.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLo7tHDHgOc

post #277 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post

Kjus may be great stuff, but can it tell time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post
 

 

Meh, any Android phone can do that.    Of course, iphones fit the image better but then apple would sue.

 

Kjus skiwear is overpriced and reminds me of this scene from Trading Places.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLo7tHDHgOc

 

Yeh, I got that; I was riffing on my long-standing lounge contention  that time zones are a relic of railroad-era fob watches and should be eliminated entirely, as well as on the predilection of marketers of luxury goods (cough*pple*cough) to sue the non-Kjus pants off copycats.    The implication was that maybe Kjus should adopt a similar stance to Velcrogate as Apple did to Bendgate.

post #278 of 296

Overheard at the Stratton Mountain Club - “Darling, why are you wearing that old rag? It’s so last year”.

For their core clientele who paid full price for their items, the second year of the two year warranty from Kjus is totally superfluous. :D 

post #279 of 296

So, Lorenzzo, what's your rating on the Mountain Force? Some OK prices online just now...

post #280 of 296
I would definitely recommend it if you can find something you like at a really good price. The one I have is formfitting, stretchy and waterproof.

But I wouldn't buy it or any of these fancy brands at or anywhere near list price.
post #281 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimintokyo View Post
 

So, Lorenzzo, what's your rating on the Mountain Force? Some OK prices online just now...

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzzo View Post

I would definitely recommend it if you can find something you like at a really good price. The one I have is formfitting, stretchy and waterproof.

But I wouldn't buy it or any of these fancy brands at or anywhere near list price.


The Mountain Force that we got in our shop is gorgeous!  I would definitely snag some Mountain Force

post #282 of 296

Looking at them, but I really want a shell rather than (yet another) insulated jacket. 

Trying to figure out if Gore-tex Active will be enough protection on -15C stormy Hokkaido days, or do I need to go to Gore-tex Pro.

post #283 of 296
Jim, try a salopette mid layer. Worked wonders for cold without feeling bulky. No insulated jacket necessary.
post #284 of 296

Went that route once in the past, Marko, but found it too much when the sun came out. 

In the past I was usually fine with my old Phenix diaplex back country shell in a thin base layer under T-neck, adding a fleece or thin down vest on the coldest days. That jacket wasn't insulated, but it had a mesh lining in the torso and the material was thicker than the Gore-tex Active I'm seeing in shops.

post #285 of 296

Yesterday I was working at the shop, taking out new Kjus and Mountain Force.  Wowzer!

 

First, let me say, Kjus looks like they're amping up their style.  The stuff I'm seeing this year is not the traditional style and design.  

And, Mountain Force is really looking sharp.  Lots of contemporary style, and incredible pocket placement, not to mention the fit is really nice. 

post #286 of 296

Colors look boring. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQdE510fazYJ7cxw1Kvrzl7uMf-sjdFSx4DrZCvGtyHst8DDOAC

 

Now here are colors!

post #287 of 296

Hah, those colours are in the current Kjus line .      You're spot on with the boredom, tho.      Both those and the Kjus orange are more retro than novel.   As witness K2 topsheets.

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by levy1 View Post
 

Colors look boring. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQdE510fazYJ7cxw1Kvrzl7uMf-sjdFSx4DrZCvGtyHst8DDOAC

 

Now here are colors!

 

 

Yep, all K2.   All 1980.     With maybe a 1979 frisson.


Edited by cantunamunch - 10/18/14 at 10:00am
post #288 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post




The Mountain Force that we got in our shop is gorgeous!  I would definitely snag some Mountain Force
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimintokyo View Post

Looking at them, but I really want a shell rather than (yet another) insulated jacket. 
Trying to figure out if Gore-tex Active will be enough protection on -15C stormy Hokkaido days, or do I need to go to Gore-tex Pro.

Mine's a shell with a snap/zip in insulating layer/jacket. Works well.

No idea what kind of Gore-Tex it has because for me it isn't really a storm jacket.
post #289 of 296

I'm torn between a Gore-tex Active shell that might be enough with the right mid layers, and a Gore-tex shell with thin fleece lining that would kill it in Hokkaido storms but may be too heavy for sunny days in April. Tough first world decision.

post #290 of 296
g
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimintokyo View Post

I'm torn between a Gore-tex Active shell that might be enough with the right mid layers, and a Gore-tex shell with thin fleece lining that would kill it in Hokkaido storms but may be too heavy for sunny days in April. Tough first world decision.

then get a gore pro and you will be right in between, that's what I'd do
post #291 of 296
Why would you even need a goretex shell for a warm sunny day? Go with latter that works better in situations that needs it and throw on a fleece for warm days.
post #292 of 296
In case the weather changes?
post #293 of 296

Well, warm sunny days have a way of turning into chilly, windy afternoons -- sometimes with snow -- in March and April.

 

Beyond that, I don't see a lot of difference between Pro and Active aside from Pro probably a bit tougher, more durable. Expect either is going to need a couple of warming layers underneath, especially riding slow lifts on cold windy January/February days.

 

Have been doing a lot of comparison shopping/fitting in shops here in Tokyo, but it's tough to decide. Definitely do not want yet another heavily insulated jacket that will have me drowning in my own sweat.

post #294 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimintokyo View Post

 

Beyond that, I don't see a lot of difference between Pro and Active aside from Pro probably a bit tougher, more durable.

 

 

Pro is definitely more durable and will protect you more from the elements. My experience with both is that the active shell will breath better and will protect less, compared to the Pro with extra protection but less breathable. 

post #295 of 296
My point is you just take off the shell if it's warm and put it back on if weather turns bad, so the shell with better inclement weather performance is always favorable.
post #296 of 296

Certainly as a shell the Pro would be best, but the Active is lighter and more versatile for other uses, while the fleece-backed G-T jacket would be aces in mid-winter but still usable (say with just a t-shirt) for much of the spring. 

I should just buy all three to solve this dilemma :D.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Any takes on Kjus ski wear?