or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Cham WOW! and another 2013 Dynastar, the Outland 87
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cham WOW! and another 2013 Dynastar, the Outland 87

post #1 of 83
Thread Starter 

Revamps abound with most manufactures and Dynastar is no different. Out with the popular Legend  and Legend Pro series,and replace with the updated Outland and revolutionary, yeah I said it, Cham series. First the Outlands, while I haven't had a chance to view all of them yet, I did get to fondle the Outland 87. With the 132/87/114 dimensions in the 178 it sounds pretty straight forward but this numbers tend not to equate to a 19M TR...With the Outlands early rise tip and tail and a unique tip profile, I will be reporting within a few days on how this new addition to the upper 80's frontside ski reacts on snow and how it compares to the other skis in the "Crazy 88" class.

 

 

The Cham series will range from an 87mm wide big mountain ski and will add four additional models  above it on the 10's at 97mm, 107mm,117mm and 127mm. But for preview here, we will focus on the 107mm...since that was all I saw. Forget your preconceived memories of the current (and past) Legend skis, these Chams are Cham WOW different. With the Early rise in the tip being much more progressive and shapely than previous Legends and the pin tails (along with traditional camber underfoot) these will ski dramatically different than previous Dynastars but am told that they were able to keep that Dynastar feel. How did they do it? Not sure but I am looking forward to seeing what they did. Needless to say, SierraJim and I are real excited to finding out...Spoiler could these be the next virtual monitors for 2013? Only time will tell. 

 

IMG_0382.jpg

 

IMG_0381.jpg

 

IMG_0389.jpg

 

IMG_0388.jpg

 

The Look Pivots (both 14 and 18 DIN) return with a new green complexion and will also be available with a 132mm brake (18 DIN only). 

IMG_0383.jpg

 

More to follow....

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #2 of 83

Wellll..........no doubt I'll have to dump off everything I currently own in order to be on the cutting edge of what is obviously the best ski ever developed by mortal man. (virally speaking of course)

 

SJ

Reply
post #3 of 83
Dynastar copying DPS?
Whatever it is, dumping the Legend brand is silly. Not many brands have this much cachet.
post #4 of 83

No it's more like Dynastar is copying Rossignol's Super 7 and 7's concept and adding a few more waist widths.

The big difference between the Cham and the Super 7 will be that the Cham has a flat Pintail design and the Super 7 has Tail Rocker

 

The Cham 107 will be 137/107/122. I like the new Freeride name and they can always bring Legend back in the future. I'm just glad they didn't call the ski the "Cham Legend Freeride 107". Dynastar will also have the following models, Cham 127,Cham 97, Cham 87 and some Cham HM (High Mountain)

Cham HM 107, Cham HM 97, and Cham HM 87.

 

I guess it's time to put our Legends on Sale to make room for the new Chams!!!!
 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexzn View Post

Dynastar copying DPS?
Whatever it is, dumping the Legend brand is silly. Not many brands have this much cachet.


 

post #5 of 83
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexzn View Post

Dynastar copying DPS?
Whatever it is, dumping the Legend brand is silly. Not many brands have this much cachet.


I don't think they are copying anyone, the shape and profile is pretty original, not very similar to either the DPS or even the Super 7, now I haven't seen the Soul 7 yet so that opinion is out until then. I agree with Skidmarks, they can always bring the Legend name back in the future. 

 

I am also very interested on how the Outland 87 skis compared to the Experience 88 since they are both constructed with Basalt yet are shaped very different.

post #6 of 83

Are these skis and pivot's a tribute to Kermit?

 

I'm not liking GREEN on a ski....

1982kermitski-1a.jpg

post #7 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post

Are these skis and pivot's a tribute to Kermit?

 

I'm not liking GREEN on a ski....

1982kermitski-1a.jpg


Actually, that's a very good point......green has never been a successful color on skis........rolleyes.gif

 

SJ

 

Reply
post #8 of 83
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post

Are these skis and pivot's a tribute to Kermit?

 

I'm not liking GREEN on a ski....

1982kermitski-1a.jpg



And who really thought teal would work?rolleyes.gif

 

d9e011fe_rossignol4stealcolor005.jpeg

post #9 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post

Actually, that's a very good point......green has never been a successful color on skis........rolleyes.gif

 

SJ



As I look through my stuff from the 70's, 80's and 90's...there ain't much green. Volkl perhaps had the most.

Have the times changed? Does it matter? After all, Blizzard did sell those awful flipcore graphics. Maybe skiers have gone "graphics blind" from so much saturation of terrible topsheets...........

 

post #10 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View PostAnd who really thought teal would work?rolleyes.gif

 

d9e011fe_rossignol4stealcolor005.jpeg



I think the problem with GREEN is that it reminds me of the off season, NON skiing time of year.

 

 

So, it's an anti-skiing color....... eek.gif

 

 

post #11 of 83
Thread Starter 

Well Rossi, you will need to stock up on chrome Pivots now, they will be GREEN next year. 

 

Famous green skis:

Olin Mark VI

Rossignol 4SK

k2 233/233 MID 

Dynastar Pulsar

K2 910

Rossignol Super 7

just to name a few

 

 

Past that, these skis do look good. Dynastar/Lange is going to have a couple of very good line ups net year in some very important segments and I am digging the green Pivots. 

post #12 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View PostWell Rossi, you will need to stock up on chrome Pivots now, they will be GREEN next year. 

 

Famous green skis:

Olin Mark VI

Rossignol 4SK

k2 233/233 MID 

Dynastar Pulsar

K2 910

Rossignol Super 7

just to name a few

 

 

Past that, these skis do look good. Dynastar/Lange is going to have a couple of very good line ups net year in some very important segments and I am digging the green Pivots. 



4SK was TEAL, not GREEN. 910 was hardly a well sold consumer ski. Mk VI was infamous at best. So I'm still not buying it...the GREEN that is.

 

Completely by coincidence, I just bought two pairs of chrome Pivot 14's yesterday.....

 

"these skis do look good".....but you LIKE the flipcores so..........wink.gif

 

 

 

post #13 of 83

Ackshullly.........I think the color on those skis and bindings is "Key Lime" rather than green. A very important distinction I thunk.

 

 

 

SJ

Reply
post #14 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post

Ackshullly.........I think the color on those skis and bindings is "Key Lime" rather than green. A very important distinction I thunk.

 

SJ



Almost Sublime Green

 

hemicuda[1].jpg

 

They didn't sell too many of these either  wink.gif

 

post #15 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post



Almost Sublime Green

 

hemicuda[1].jpg

 

They didn't sell too many of these either  wink.gif

 


... but look how much they sell for 40 years later. Buying these new Dynastars and putting them away for half a century could be a great retirement plan.

 

post #16 of 83

post #17 of 83

Rossi still under the impression that his limited scope of acceptable ski graphics translates to the rest of the ski buying public.rolleyes.gif

post #18 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecimmortal View Post

Rossi still under the impression that his limited scope of acceptable ski graphics translates to the rest of the ski buying public.rolleyes.gif



Not at all, completely my personal taste.....and a little historical data rolleyes.gif

 

post #19 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post



Not at all, completely my personal taste.....and a little historical data rolleyes.gif

 


 

Recent history would indicate otherwise..............

 

Volkl Shiro, Volkl RTM 84, Lange RX 130, Nordica FA F-1 are all market leaders with the RX 130 (green) being the #1 selling boot in the USofA.

Patagonia lists "Fennel" (green) as their #2-4 selling color depending on the garment it's offered on.

 

Plus......the most important factor is of course........Phil and I like it. I mean c'mon, what else do ya need taknow? After all.........we are leaders in the Viral market.

 

Just sayin'.........................biggrin.gif

 

SJ

Reply
post #20 of 83

I'm  half and half with this color scheme (sp?)  I like the green binding (but the chromes look even better)  the outlands look good in green but I'm not big on the Cham graphic layout.  I have to admit that I don't like the later Legend or Sultan graphics/colors either.  I prefere the  Orange/ Blue of the  original 8800's.  I do like the new little Dynastar shield.  a classy touch but it wold look a lot nicer on a retro type of ski. ie a solid color with a bold stripe

 

my .02,

 

royal

post #21 of 83

The Elan marketing team might also tend to disagree with the anything-but-green sentiment.

post #22 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post

Recent history would indicate otherwise..............

 

Volkl Shiro, Volkl RTM 84, Lange RX 130, Nordica FA F-1 are all market leaders with the RX 130 (green) being the #1 selling boot in the USofA.

Patagonia lists "Fennel" (green) as their #2-4 selling color depending on the garment it's offered on.

 

Plus......the most important factor is of course........Phil and I like it. I mean c'mon, what else do ya need taknow? After all.........we are leaders in the Viral market.

 

Just sayin'.........................biggrin.gif

 

SJ



Ahh, but as our VIRAL market leaders, these GREEN products can directly put $$$$$ into your pockets.....A mans gotta play the hand he is given (by the manufacturer). Now you'll also need to stock GREEN helmets to match the rest of their new GREEN outfits......I think I see how the industry works now! wink.gif

 

I'm still going with the "the consumers are color blind" thinking. It is a nice marketing challenge, better hope we get snow...... eek.gif

 

post #23 of 83

The Outland doesn't do much for me, but the Cham looks great. I never really liked the Legend series, so won't miss that at all. I also see that the Cham jumps on the basalt bandwagon. Can someone explain to me how you make a ski out of rocks?

post #24 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post

The Outland doesn't do much for me, but the Cham looks great. I never really liked the Legend series, so won't miss that at all. I also see that the Cham jumps on the basalt bandwagon. Can someone explain to me how you make a ski out of rocks?



Maybe they'll work great @ Magic wink.gif

 

post #25 of 83

elan_ripstick_2006.jpg

 

One of the best lookinng green skis I have ever had!

post #26 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntless View Post

elan_ripstick_2006.jpg

 

One of the best lookinng green skis I have ever had!



It's a LOW bar......

 

post #27 of 83

Philllllll, phorgot the best one: Volkl G4, the best recreational green ski ever made.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

Well Rossi, you will need to stock up on chrome Pivots now, they will be GREEN next year. 

 

Famous green skis:

Olin Mark VI

Rossignol 4SK

k2 233/233 MID 

Dynastar Pulsar

K2 910

Rossignol Super 7

just to name a few

 

 

Past that, these skis do look good. Dynastar/Lange is going to have a couple of very good line ups net year in some very important segments and I am digging the green Pivots. 



 

post #28 of 83

Dynastar is not likely copying any design. they have a lot going on with their skis, much of which is not just shape or dimensions. my take is that as a company they are both innovator and classicist.

 

I bet those Chams are sick. Don't care what they call them, though there is logic to that name, Dynastar Legend Pro skis are popular in that region.

post #29 of 83

You guys must be impressed-- there hasn't been  /one/ Sham,  Shammy,  or Sham-oo  joke yet ??? nonono2.gif

post #30 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post

Philllllll, phorgot the best one: Volkl G4, the best recreational green ski ever made.
 



 



*cough*Squads*cough*

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion

Gear mentioned in this thread:

EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Cham WOW! and another 2013 Dynastar, the Outland 87