Should I be kicking myself for not waiting another week and having the opportunity to divert to Whistler?
I think so. If that call was made only one week ago it was not a great one.
Furthermore, except for BC, where is the skiing better? Targhee is 100 percent open JH maybe 75 to 80 percent open.
Actually, everywhere in western Canada except maybe a couple of areas near the US border. Banff, normally a low snow region, is at 150% of normal.
Given the nature of JH terrain, I'd take that 75-80% open with a large grain of salt especially in view of the TR comments above. Same is true for Snowbird by the way.
The good news is that Targhee is the most consistent and reliable area in North America. So if you stick with the trip the worst case scenario is that you're commuting to Targhee for most of your skiing.
Let's put a different spin on your scenario...what if you decide to cancel and it dumps for the whole week you were supposed to be there?...it could happen, after all, it is the Tetons in late January.
True. There is some base, so if it starts dumping it could improve rapidly. This is not a Tahoe/I-70 Colorado situation where you would be starting almost from scratch in getting steep terrain covered.
So this is not as cut and dried as people scheduled into Tahoe/I-70 Colorado during January who absolutely should bail out even with cancellation penalties. If you can't get out of the other hotel, why not move the lodging base for the 2 nights you did get out over to Targhee?