EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Need *self taken* images of Lange boots
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need *self taken* images of Lange boots

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 

Ok, I have a three-page article on Lange ready to go up on the Wiki. But it looks boring without images! So I'd like to see what you guys have filling out the closet...

 

I'd kill for images of the XL-R. But I'd also love to find anything for their earlier designs, notably the Comp, Comp II and early Banshees. Any others from this line that are noteworthy?

post #2 of 25

Most of these boots are in "Lange Girl" posters that you can find under google images. If you go into the Retro thread, there are usually good pics, IIRC on the latest pages are pics of someone skiing XLR's. Crack, a member  here is still skiing Tii's, he would also be great to talk to. 

post #3 of 25

I've got the first version buckle Pro, next version Pro, 2nd gen mid high back and the XLR

 

 

Boots 2010.jpg


Edited by Rossi Smash - 1/4/12 at 1:58pm
post #4 of 25

here is what I have.  I still ski the XL-R for my Alpine boots.  I don't know the model name for the grey boots.  looks to be the same mold as the XLR but softer plastic and no wedge on the back of the liner.  the Z-R has canting, a wedge and a locating block on the back of the liner.  feel free to use these images in the wiki.

 

Royal

 

DSCN3168.JPG

 

DSCN3169.JPG

 

DSCN3170.JPGDSCN3172.JPG

 

 

post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal View Post

I don't know the model name for the grey boots.



That is an XLS.  One of my ski team mates had a hand me down set.  I skied in a set of ZR boots for three years until they packed out then I moved to a set of Tii boots.

 

Dennis

 

Edit:  I have skied my ZRs a few times for retro skiing days.

post #6 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

Most of these boots are in "Lange Girl" posters that you can find under google images. If you go into the Retro thread, there are usually good pics, IIRC on the latest pages are pics of someone skiing XLR's. Crack, a member  here is still skiing Tii's, he would also be great to talk to. 



Yeah, but you can't use these images on the Wiki... only one per article. I'm looking for ones that you guys took because then I can put in as many as I need.

post #7 of 25
Thread Starter 

Royal, these are fantastic! Just what I was looking for!

 

What is that first one, a Comp, Pro or Standard (I don't know my liner colors).

 

IIRC, the Z came out very shortly after the XLR right? What is the "locating block"? And the T's followed the Z's?

 

I think those grey ones are the XL-T or XL-S. I seem to recall that everything from the Z series had those locking buckles.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal View Post

here is what I have.  I still ski the XL-R for my Alpine boots.  I don't know the model name for the grey boots.  looks to be the same mold as the XLR but softer plastic and no wedge on the back of the liner.  the Z-R has canting, a wedge and a locating block on the back of the liner.  feel free to use these images in the wiki.

 

Royal

 

DSCN3168.JPG

 

DSCN3169.JPG

 

DSCN3170.JPGDSCN3172.JPG

 

 



 

post #8 of 25
Thread Starter 

Ok, so does anyone have a really recent Lange boot? Something with a power strap and the "handle" on the tounge?

post #9 of 25

send me an email address, i'll go home over the noon hour and snap a shot of an rs-130 for you.  don't think i can post photos in the forum though. dave

post #10 of 25
Thread Starter 

That's awesome! maury.markowitz@gmail.com

 

when you fire it off, can you put something like ...

 

===

 

I [insert real name here] agree to release this image of the Lange RS-130 ski boot under CC-by-SA.

 

===

 

CC-by-SA means "use this for free, but credit me when you do". It's the better copyright.

post #11 of 25
Thread Starter 

Ok everything's pretty much done on the Lange article (7 pages!). I'm still looking for images of one of the Royalite boots (faint hope), a 70's-era Banshee or anything from the last couple of years. Thanks!

post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post

Royal, these are fantastic! Just what I was looking for!

 

What is that first one, a Comp, Pro or Standard (I don't know my liner colors).

 

IIRC, the Z came out very shortly after the XLR right? What is the "locating block"? And the T's followed the Z's?

 

I think those grey ones are the XL-T or XL-S. I seem to recall that everything from the Z series had those locking buckles.
 



 



I don't remember for sure I think it is the comp.  the Pro liner was higher and yellow I think.  the locating block is a square bump on the back of the liner that fits in a slot in the back of the shell.

 

royal

 

post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal View Post

I don't remember for sure I think it is the comp.  the Pro liner was higher and yellow I think.  the locating block is a square bump on the back of the liner that fits in a slot in the back of the shell.

 

royal

 



Look on the boot sole.......

 

post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post



Look on the boot sole.......

 



Swinger

 

post #15 of 25
Thread Starter 

Lange Swinger then? No problem, I'll update the caption.

 

Here's the results BTW:

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lange_(ski_boots)

post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post

Lange Swinger then? No problem, I'll update the caption.

 

Here's the results BTW:

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lange_(ski_boots)



Maury...that Swinger is second generation plastic. (your article calls it "The Lange Swinger, part of the line of the first commercially successful all-plastic ski boots"

 

If you look at my picture above, the bottom left boot is a first gen. Pro

 

 

post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post



Maury...that Swinger is second generation plastic. (your article calls it "The Lange Swinger, part of the line of the first commercially successful all-plastic ski boots"

 

If you look at my picture above, the bottom left boot is a first gen. Pro

 

 



looks like the first gen pro has the cooler wavey lines.   I should be skiing my swingers in teh next couple of weeks.  I have two pars of skis ready to ski with them.  rossi roc 550 and head JC Killy 800.  in the line up stil being tuned and prepped is a pair of Kastle CPM specials. al with LOOK N17's. look for pics in the More Retro thread.

 

royal

 

post #18 of 25
Thread Starter 

Ok Rossi, thanks for the update. Are you OK with me using your image? It would make a nice lead-in image in the article.

 

And that red one on the right, is it a Banshee?

 

BTW, does anyone know exactly when the XL-R was introduced?

post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post

Ok Rossi, thanks for the update. Are you OK with me using your image? It would make a nice lead-in image in the article.

 

And that red one on the right, is it a Banshee?

 

BTW, does anyone know exactly when the XL-R was introduced?


I think it was 80, it was a time when a manufacture would introduce an important new model during an Olympic year. 

 

post #20 of 25
Thread Starter 

Thanks Phil!

 

Darn, no mention in Sports Illustrated around that date.

 

I wish Ski had searchable archives...

post #21 of 25

Here is an add for the first generation plastic Lange

 

lange_ad[1].jpg

post #22 of 25

Here is a pic of my current ski boots, which I think are the next model in the series above

 

 

Ski boots.JPG

post #23 of 25

^^^Omg the X09!!!

no....keep it away....keep it away....

worst boot ever....for me. Can't begin to count the hours spent on that turdball.  It was cursed.

 

I will say though, if you're thinkind of getting new boots, get them. They are vastly better.

 In fact an older Lange Tii or such would even be better.

post #24 of 25
Thread Starter 

If I recall the lineage correctly...

 

XL ~1980

Z ~1984

T ~ 1987

X ~ 1989

and after that they had all sorts of names

post #25 of 25

I skied the Swingers today.  they were not uncomfortable standing  but they became extremly painful while skiing.  also I could not get the cuff snug enough to remove slop around my lower calf.

 

I much prefered the lace up Molitor or the buckle Kofach boots that I have. 

 

Royal


Edited by royal - 2/4/12 at 6:10pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Need *self taken* images of Lange boots