EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Introduction plus a question to all you skiers!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Introduction plus a question to all you skiers! - Page 2

post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSki View Post

Oh very cool, heres to crossing my fingers you get stationed in an area you enjoy. As for satellites it is my basic understanding that with old satellites they push them up into a higher "junk orbit" or send them on a course to burn up in the atmosphere. I've always kind of wondered why they just don't shoot them completely out of orbit? does this take too much energy? I figured I would ask and maybe you would know the answer =)

 

 

 


Besides the political and economical challenges of shooting down a satellite it is also very difficult to do. The thing is when you hit it with an ICBM, as the U.S and China have done, the satellite just doesn't go poof and disappear. You actually form hundreds of pieces which remain in orbit and are still dangerous to other satellites.

 

 

Here's what happened when China blew up their satellite in 2007. It's nto a great video but it gives an idea:

 

If you could come up with a valid way to remove space junk you would become very wealthy very fast.

 

post #32 of 43

I ski instruct too. Currently spend the northern hemi winter in Niseko, Japan and the southern in Portillo, Chile. I think it's the best job ever, but it's not perfect for everyone.

post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim. View Post

I ski instruct too. Currently spend the northern hemi winter in Niseko, Japan and the southern in Portillo, Chile. I think it's the best job ever, but it's not perfect for everyone.



Jim, are you multi-lingual or do you primarily teach English speakers?

post #34 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by elduderino View Post



Jim, are you multi-lingual or do you primarily teach English speakers?



Primarily teach English speakers, in Niseko it's all in English, in Portillo I'd say about 50%. I learnt Spanish before going but it was still a bit tough sometimes, trying to do some homework over the winter so I am better for next year.

post #35 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim. View Post



Primarily teach English speakers, in Niseko it's all in English, in Portillo I'd say about 50%. I learnt Spanish before going but it was still a bit tough sometimes, trying to do some homework over the winter so I am better for next year.



Very cool.  That's great that you're able to ski year round.  Very jealous.  The OP should take note of the path you've taken :-)

 

Are there that many Americans in Japan skiing these days??

post #36 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeSki View Post

 

The machinery used in the steel mill is pretty impressive if you ask me, and everything is done on such a huge scale! What hill do you patrol at? is it bittersweet or swiss valley?

Yeah, I'd really like to see a 100-ton pour sometime! (no, I'm not asking smile.gif)

I've been told that in the old days of the Ford River Rouge plant tours they'd take you into the mill and you could see them pouring. No chance of that happening today.

 

Brighton, not too far from Detroit.


Edited by chilehed - 1/10/12 at 3:59pm
post #37 of 43

I am a software engineer from Long Island. After switching from an engineering firm to a Financial one four years ago, I have had more time and money to pursue my passion for sking, My most exciting trip was one to Japan, just before the earthquake last February. They get an incredable amount of snow there! I have also skiied near Salt Lake City, and Lake Tahoe, and of course Vermont here in the East. My next trip is to Whistler in two weeks.

post #38 of 43

Amazing, now I know why so many threads devolve into intimate detail.  There is a lot of engineers on Epic.

post #39 of 43

The internet doesn't show our social awkwardnessbeercheer.gif  

post #40 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by elduderino View Post



Very cool.  That's great that you're able to ski year round.  Very jealous.  The OP should take note of the path you've taken :-)

 

Are there that many Americans in Japan skiing these days??


 

Cheers, been year round since 07, in NZ before Chile. Not many Americans in Japan, the clientele is mainly Aussies, but we are getting more Hong Kongers and Singaporeans every year and they take a lot of classes. The numbers from Europe and the US are still very small and tend to be pretty hardcore.

post #41 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf210 View Post


Besides the political and economical challenges of shooting down a satellite it is also very difficult to do. The thing is when you hit it with an ICBM, as the U.S and China have done, the satellite just doesn't go poof and disappear. You actually form hundreds of pieces which remain in orbit and are still dangerous to other satellites.


Let me be a bit more clear! I was thinking more of a reserve amount of fuel that when it hits the level after so many years of slight adjustments, that final fuel is used in order to propel the satellite out of orbit and into venus or the sun or something like that. This would help with current space junk but maybe help prevent further development.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by chilehed View Post

Quote:

Yeah, I'd really like to see a 100-ton pour sometime! (no, I'm not asking smile.gif)

I've been told that in the old days of the Ford River Rouge plant tours they'd take you into the mill and you could see them pouring. No chance of that happening today.

 

Brighton, not too far from Detroit.


Well I don't work over in steel producing, I work in a plate mill. We take the slabs of steel heat them up and roll them to correct guage, then cut them to correct width and length of the customers needs. Brighton! I went to school in Ann Arbor =)

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by mauja View Post

I am a software engineer from Long Island. After switching from an engineering firm to a Financial one four years ago, I have had more time and money to pursue my passion for sking, My most exciting trip was one to Japan, just before the earthquake last February. They get an incredable amount of snow there! I have also skiied near Salt Lake City, and Lake Tahoe, and of course Vermont here in the East. My next trip is to Whistler in two weeks.


Whistler is awesome you will love it! Japan is definitly on my bucket list of places to go ski! along with alaska, chile and new zeland!

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf210 View Post

The internet doesn't show our social awkwardnessbeercheer.gif  

Hey now we are fully functioning member of society!!
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim. View Post


 

Cheers, been year round since 07, in NZ before Chile. Not many Americans in Japan, the clientele is mainly Aussies, but we are getting more Hong Kongers and Singaporeans every year and they take a lot of classes. The numbers from Europe and the US are still very small and tend to be pretty hardcore.


I am very jealous of your year round skiing just so you know.

 

post #42 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSki View Post


Let me be a bit more clear! I was thinking more of a reserve amount of fuel that when it hits the level after so many years of slight adjustments, that final fuel is used in order to propel the satellite out of orbit and into venus or the sun or something like that. This would help with current space junk but maybe help prevent further development.

 

 

It takes an enormous amount of fuel/power to escape earth's velocity satellites don't have powerful enough thrusters to even consider it with full fuel let alone at end of life. It would also take years to even reach those places  

post #43 of 43

Hi

I work for an Industrial combustion equipment manufacturer. I help make make big fires ( in the steel,aluminum,heat treat,glass, automotive,aggregate, food,and anything else that might use large volumes of heat and fire) or help the fires do what they should, I know you are one of the few that understand that.

I am a field engineer and although at the moment my territory by title is south east USA ,I seem to spend most of my time in who knows!

I at this time ski when I can and this year the snows not helping, I guess I get out 15-20 days a year still, although I use to get out 50 plus days a year and hope to do so again in the future.

My wife teaches skiing actively at the moment ,as I also use to and hope to again soon. As soon as I can afford to help support the resorts full time financially again.ROTF.gif

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Introduction plus a question to all you skiers!